|By Marketwired .||
|July 19, 2010 04:03 PM EDT||
SANTA CLARA, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 07/19/10 -- Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHR), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today announced that it passed a significant milestone during the second quarter of 2010, by shipping its 500 millionth Wi-Fi chipset. This milestone demonstrates Atheros' continued leadership in one of the fastest-growing segments of the semiconductor market and highlights the company's ability to scale its operations to serve multiple high volume markets. According to iSuppli, the wireless LAN (WLAN) semiconductor market quadrupled from 2003 to 2009 and will nearly triple again to reach $8.8 billion in 2014.(1) As a leading supplier of Wi-Fi® technology, Atheros is capitalizing on this tremendous growth opportunity by exceeding customers' expectations with unmatched performance, integration and innovative features.
In addition to its extraordinary growth in WLAN, Atheros has also expanded its connectivity portfolio with Bluetooth®, Ethernet, GPS, Powerline and broadband access technologies, which enable Atheros to deliver unique hybrid networking solutions that enhance and simplify the user experience. The availability of full-featured and cost-effective solutions from Atheros is helping to fuel the rapid adoption of connectivity technologies in a variety of devices, including PCs, mobile phones, networking equipment and consumer electronics products. By connecting more devices in the home and office, Atheros enables people to move content from 'there' to 'here' in a way that is simple and transparent to the user.
- Atheros has been instrumental in the evolution of Wi-Fi from a PC networking technology to one that is used in a growing number of products that keep people connected, informed and entertained. Its innovative WLAN solutions now enable a wide range of wireless devices and cutting-edge applications for consumers and enterprises.
- In the networking market: As the number of wireless devices continues to grow, so does demand for powerful network infrastructure. Atheros' 802.11n chipsets are among the most widely adopted solutions for retail networking equipment, residential gateways and enterprise networking systems. They provide robust performance and reliable coverage to support additional wireless users and more demanding applications in the home and enterprise.
- In the PC market: Atheros' 802.11n solutions are used by the world's top 10 PC manufacturers, providing the reliable wireless connections that enable PC users to access the Internet, media content, social networks and other information from virtually any home, office or public hotspot. Atheros offers the industry's most popular 1-stream 11n solution for netbooks and notebooks, as well as 2-stream and 3-stream 11n products that deliver greater wireless bandwidth and coverage.
- In the mobile market: According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), there will be a 40-fold increase in mobile Internet demand over the next five years.(2) To alleviate the burden of increasing data and media traffic from cellular networks, Wi-Fi is becoming a must-have feature for mobile devices. Atheros offers the world's smallest, lowest power and highest performance mobile WLAN solutions, which have been designed into over 100 mobile designs, including mobile phones, eBooks, tablets, handheld gaming devices and other portable electronics.
- Atheros is also fueling the proliferation of Wi-Fi into other devices that benefit from simple and robust connectivity without cables or cords. Its high-performance WLAN solutions are now being used to move content between consumer electronics, such as televisions, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, home theater systems and set-top boxes. Atheros expects that Wi-Fi will soon be an integral part of the emerging smart grid market.
- "As wireless technology evolves at a breakneck pace, Atheros continues to succeed by maintaining a laser focus on what customers and consumers want -- fast, simple and reliable connectivity," said Craig Barratt, president and chief executive officer of Atheros Communications. "We have enjoyed tremendous success over the past 10+ years and will continue to expand our product portfolio to drive connectivity into a plethora of new devices and markets."
- "With its long-standing commitment to interoperability and participation in Wi-Fi Alliance program development and certification, Atheros has contributed greatly to the advancement, success and proliferation of Wi-Fi technology," said Edgar Figueroa, chief executive officer of the Wi-Fi Alliance. "With substantial growth and technological innovation still ahead, Atheros will continue to make a strong contribution to continued expansion of Wi-Fi technology worldwide."
About Atheros Communications, Inc.
Atheros Communications is a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Atheros combines its wireless and networking systems expertise with high-performance radio frequency (RF), mixed signal and digital semiconductor design skills to provide highly integrated chipsets that are manufactured on low-cost, standard complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) processes. Atheros technology is used by a broad base of leading customers, including personal computer, networking equipment and consumer device manufacturers. For more information, please visit http://www.atheros.com.
Atheros and the Atheros logo are trademarks of Atheros Communications, Inc. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the sole property of their respective owners.
NOTE ON FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS:
Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this press release, including Atheros' leadership position and its ability to scale its operations, the projected growth of the WLAN semiconductor market, the anticipated adoption of connectivity technologies in a variety of devices, the projected increase in mobile Internet demand , the expected integration of WLAN as part of the emerging smart grid market, the opportunities and prospects of Atheros resulting from these market trends, and Atheros' plans to continue to expand its product portfolio , are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, including, but not limited to, whether Atheros is able to grow its business and develop and provide products to take advantage of the expected growth in the WLAN markets, difficulties in the development of new and enhanced products, general economic conditions, the effects of competition and technological change, and the risks detailed in Atheros' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2010, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other reports filed with the SEC by Atheros from time to time. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Atheros disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
Although we believe that the forward-looking statistical information from iSuppli and the FCC is reliable, we have not independently verified this data. iSuppli and the FCC generally indicate that they have obtained their information from sources believed to be reliable, but do not guarantee the accuracy and completeness of the information.
(1) iSuppli, Q2 2010
(2) FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski's remarks at NAB Show 2010
Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, had reached 30,000 page views on his home page - http://RobertoMedrano.SYS-CON.com/ - on the SYS-CON family of online magazines, which includes Cloud Computing Journal, Internet of Things Journal, Big Data Journal, and SOA World Magazine. He is a recognized executive in the information technology fields of SOA, internet security, governance, and compliance. He has extensive experience with both start-ups and large companies, having been ...
Feb. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 515
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applicatio...
Feb. 27, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,194
VictorOps is making on-call suck less with the only collaborative alert management platform on the market. With easy on-call scheduling management, a real-time incident timeline that gives you contextual relevance around your alerts and powerful reporting features that make post-mortems more effective, VictorOps helps your IT/DevOps team solve problems faster.
Feb. 27, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,061
When it comes to the Internet of Things, hooking up will get you only so far. If you want customers to commit, you need to go beyond simply connecting products. You need to use the devices themselves to transform how you engage with every customer and how you manage the entire product lifecycle. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sean Lorenz, Technical Product Manager for Xively at LogMeIn, will show how “product relationship management” can help you leverage your connected devices and the data th...
Feb. 27, 2015 04:15 PM EST Reads: 1,086
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, will discuss why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices ra...
Feb. 27, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,261
Companies today struggle to manage the types and volume of data their customers and employees generate and use every day. With billions of requests daily, operational consistency can be elusive. In his session at Big Data Expo, Dave McCrory, CTO at Basho Technologies, will explore how a distributed systems solution, such as NoSQL, can give organizations the consistency and availability necessary to succeed with on-demand data, offering high availability at massive scale.
Feb. 27, 2015 03:45 PM EST Reads: 2,084
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, de...
Feb. 27, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 3,905
The industrial software market has treated data with the mentality of “collect everything now, worry about how to use it later.” We now find ourselves buried in data, with the pervasive connectivity of the (Industrial) Internet of Things only piling on more numbers. There’s too much data and not enough information. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Bob Gates, Global Marketing Director, GE’s Intelligent Platforms business, to discuss how realizing the power of IoT, software developers are now focu...
Feb. 27, 2015 03:15 PM EST Reads: 1,117
Security can create serious friction for DevOps processes. We've come up with an approach to alleviate the friction and provide security value to DevOps teams. In her session at DevOps Summit, Shannon Lietz, Senior Manager of DevSecOps at Intuit, will discuss how DevSecOps got started and how it has evolved. Shannon Lietz has over two decades of experience pursuing next generation security solutions. She is currently the DevSecOps Leader for Intuit where she is responsible for setting and driv...
Feb. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 2,095
The 3rd International @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - is now accepting submissions to demo smart cars on the Expo Floor. Smart car sponsorship benefits include general brand exposure and increasing engagement with the developer ecosystem.
Feb. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,624
Operational Hadoop and the Lambda Architecture for Streaming Data Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing...
Feb. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,103
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes ...
Feb. 27, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,013
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Feb. 27, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 899
Thanks to Docker, it becomes very easy to leverage containers to build, ship, and run any Linux application on any kind of infrastructure. Docker is particularly helpful for microservice architectures because their successful implementation relies on a fast, efficient deployment mechanism – which is precisely one of the features of Docker. Microservice architectures are therefore becoming more popular, and are increasingly seen as an interesting option even for smaller projects, instead of bein...
Feb. 27, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 2,322
SYS-CON Events announced today Arista Networks will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Arista Networks was founded to deliver software-driven cloud networking solutions for large data center and computing environments. Arista’s award-winning 10/40/100GbE switches redefine scalability, robustness, and price-performance, with over 3,000 customers and more than three million cloud networking ports depl...
Feb. 27, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,375