|By Jonathan Gershater||
|May 2, 2012 06:00 AM EDT||
OpenStack is an open-source cloud framework for building on-demand Infrastructure as a Service.
This tutorial in essence distills from this two-page set of instructions for setting up devstack on a single server primarily for use by developers.
I used a DELL 1950 with 8 GB of RAM, internal hard-drives and two 1000 MB NICs.
Download and Set Up Ubuntu
- Download Ubuntu 11.10 from here and burn to DVD
- Boot the server from the DVD and start the install. I installed the BASE SYSTEM and only one optional package, the OpenSSH Server.
- I named my server "ubuntu-server"
- I configured eth0 with a static ip address of 10.202.181.21. This will be important as the HOST_IP address of devstack.
- Create a user named "stack".
- Log in as "stack"
See next page for how to Install Devstack...