|By Business Wire||
|September 3, 2012 10:53 AM EDT||
Frontier Silicon, the leading supplier of Digital Radio and Network Audio technology, today announces the launch of its new DAB 5.0 Software Development Kit (SDK). By adding Bluetooth connectivity to Frontier’s Verona DAB/DAB+ module, DAB 5.0 introduces a closer level of integration between smartphones/tablets and radio/audio devices delivering a simple and intuitive user experience.
As trends in digital listening evolve, it is vital for consumer electronics brands to meet the needs of customers by delivering audio systems which integrate seamlessly with the connected world. DAB 5.0 provides the technology to give consumers complete freedom of listening choice in one simple audio product. Whether it’s crystal clear DAB/DAB+ digital radio, a personal music collection or a favourite online music service, all can be enjoyed wirelessly and managed remotely from the palm of your hand.
A Frontier Silicon DAB 5.0-based audio system delivers the following benefits:
- Use iOS and Android smart-phones and tablets to wirelessly control the digital radio, browse stations by name and enjoy programme-relevant information from the broadcaster in the form of text (DLS) and full-colour images (RadioVIS) - Radio has never looked so good.
- Choose tracks from a user’s music collection or stream a favourite online music service over Bluetooth from any A2DP compatible smartphone, tablet or lap-top.
- Switch between different smart devices at the press of a button.
- When no smart-device is connected, digital radio is still always available - making this an ideal audio solution for shared areas such as kitchens and living rooms.
- Wireless Bluetooth connectivity ensures smart device integration is less dependent on platform, operating system or physical connector type.
- DAB 5.0 provides these features without the need for expensive colour displays or Wi-Fi components, making it a cost effective solution.
“Today’s consumers expect the freedom to listen to music from a vast number of different digital sources,” said Prem Rajalingham, VP of Sales & Support at Frontier Silicon. “DAB 5.0 has been designed to enable products to bring this content together and deliver an enhanced experience via wireless integration with iOS and Android handheld devices - and all in a product the size and cost of a traditional speaker dock or quality portable radio.”
DAB 5.0 runs on Frontier Silicon’s market-leading range of Made for iPhone compatible DAB modules and chipsets. When combined with controls, display, amplifier, loudspeaker and a suitable Bluetooth module, DAB 5.0 provides a simple route to a wide range of advanced digital audio products.
About Frontier Silicon Limited
Frontier Silicon is the world’s leading supplier of integrated circuits and modules for digital radio and network audio products. In August 2012, the company was acquired by Toumaz Limited and is now part of an enlarged group focused on the digital audio, consumer sports & fitness and professional healthcare markets.
The group is headquartered in London, England, with design centres in Abingdon, Cambridge and Shannon. The company also has sales and technical support teams in Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Germany, France and Japan.
Frontier Silicon’s audio products offer solutions for DAB/DAB+, Internet radio and connected audio - from silicon through software to production-ready platform designs.
Customers supplied by Frontier Silicon include Bang & Olufsen, Bose, Bush, Cyrus, Denon, Dual, Gear4, Goodmans, Grundig, harman/kardon, Hitachi, JVC, Magic Box, Ministry of Sound, NAD, Onkyo, Panasonic, Philips, Pinell, Pioneer, Pure, Revo, Roberts, Sangean, Sanyo, Sharp, SIRIUS XM, Sony, TEAC, Tivoli Audio, Vita Audio and Yamaha.
Frontier Silicon is a trademark or registered trademark of Frontier Silicon Ltd.
Apple, iOS, iPad, iPhone and iPod are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. ”Made for iPhone/iPod” means that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPhone or iPod and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards. Apple is not responsible for the operation of this device or its compliance with safety and regulatory standards.