|By Business Wire||
|September 21, 2012 06:22 AM EDT||
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/7p244d/pakistan) has announced the addition of the "Pakistan - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Forecasts" report to their offering.
The 3G Fiasco Has Been An Ominous Cloud Hanging Over Pakistan's Otherwise Energetic Telecom Sector
The progressive implementation of the Pakistan government's reform plans over a number of years has triggered a period of strong growth in the local telecom market. Up until recently the energy and growth was predominantly in mobile services; as the mobile market moderates, the focus has shifted to broadband access in its various forms. In the meantime, there has been no significant activity in fixed-line services as originally intended and in fact subscriptions in this sector are in decline.
- Despite overall slowing in the telecom market, Pakistan continued to grow its the mobile sector;
- Mobile subscriber numbers were growing at around 10% annually in 2011
2012, modest growth indeed compared with the earlier boom years;
- By mid-2012 there were around 120 million mobile subscribers for a penetration of close to 70%;
- Five mobile operators were competing vigorously for a share of the subscriber base and the revenue, each claiming a healthy share of the market;
- In a major disappointment for the local industry, Pakistan's proposed auction for 3G licences continued to be delayed;
- Pakistan's broadband internet penetration still remained low in relative terms (only around 1% coming into 2012), there has been a significant surge in broadband services;
- Growth in the country's fixed-line market remained sluggish; fixed teledensity stand at less than 4% into 2011 with the numbers actually falling;
- One positive factor in the fixed market has been the success of wireless local loop technology which was supporting half of all fixed subscribers and still growing.
This report provides a comprehensive overview of the trends and developments in the telecommunications market in Pakistan.
Subjects covered include:
- Key Statistics;
- Market and Industry Overviews;
- Regulatory Environment and Development;
- Major Telecom Players (fixed and mobile);
- Mobile Voice and Data Market;
- Internet, including VoIP;
- Broadband (fixed, wireless, mobile);
- Scenario Forecasts (fixed-line, mobile and broadband subscribers).
For more information, including full table of contents, please visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/7p244d/pakistan