|By PR Newswire||
|September 26, 2012 09:29 AM EDT|
DALLAS, Sept. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Flu season is here and Concentra is sharing some easy steps to protect against the spread of influenza, including seasonal flu vaccines available at all Concentra locations across the country. Concentra is a subsidiary of Humana Inc., one of the nation's leading health and well-being companies.
Seasonal influenza, commonly known as the flu, is an extremely contagious respiratory infection and often includes symptoms such as high fever, cough and full body aches. However, flu symptoms can intensify and become more severe than those of a common cold, causing medical complications that claim an average of 36,000 lives each year. High-risk patients, including those with chronic illnesses, infants and toddlers, pregnant women, and seniors over 65, should make it a priority to be vaccinated.
"Concentra is dedicated to ensuring individuals receive a flu vaccination to protect themselves, and those that they interact with," said Senior Vice President of Medical Operations Bill Lewis, M.D. "By offering flu vaccines at our urgent care facilities, combined with tips to reduce the incidences of seasonal flu, we can focus on limiting the financial and emotional impact the flu can place on individuals."
With many risks involved, Concentra encourages individuals to take these preventive measures to lower their incidences of getting the flu:
- Monitor flu outbreaks in your community. Check Google Flu Trends and the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for weekly updates.
- Get a flu vaccine. The CDC recommends that everyone who is at least six months of age get a flu vaccine this season.
- Take preventive actions daily. Frequent hand-washing is an easy way to avoid getting sick and spreading germs. Concentra recommends thorough hand washing before preparing food, after using the bathroom and after sneezing or coughing.
- See a physician. Concentra is the one destination for flu prevention, and treatment for flu symptoms.
Each year, one in five people become sick with influenza, but it can be avoided. Doctors and experts agree that a flu vaccine is the best defense to reduce the likelihood of becoming ill with the influenza virus. Concentra medical centers are easily accessible destinations for flu prevention. Flu shots are currently available, with no appointment necessary, at all locations.
To find your nearest location or learn more about how you can protect yourself, family and friends, visit Concentra.com
Concentra, a subsidiary of Humana Inc., is a leading health care company focused on improving America's health, one patient at a time. Through its affiliated clinicians, the company provides occupational medicine, urgent care, primary care, physical therapy, and wellness services from more than 330 medical centers in 40 states. In addition to these medical center locations, Concentra serves employers by providing a broad range of health advisory services and operating more than 270 worksite medical facilities. Through this complement of services, Concentra intends to raise the standard of health by putting individuals first, treating them with clinical excellence, and focusing on their ongoing wellness. www.Concentra.com
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company's web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders;
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings;
- Most recent investor conference presentations;
- Quarterly earnings news releases;
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls;
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors);
- Corporate Governance information