|By PR Newswire||
|September 30, 2012 07:04 PM EDT||
VIENNA, Austria, October 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
INTENDED FOR EUROPEAN MEDIA ONLY
Results from a Phase I/II trial of the investigational compound lenvatinib (E7080), a multi-targeted, kinase inhibitor, in people with advanced hepatocellular cancer have been presented at the ESMO 2012 Congress (European Society for Medical Oncology) taking place on Friday 28 September - Tuesday 2 October. Two other studies were presented, reporting the results of lenvatinib in the treatment of recurrent glioblastoma (the most common type of brain cancer which is almost universally fatal) and lenvatinib in combination with everolimus in metastatic renal cell carcinoma.,
The following Eisai posters were presented at this year's ESMO 2012 Congress:
A Phase 2 Trial of the Multi-targeted Kinase Inhibitor Lenvatinib (E7080) in Lenvatinib (E7080) Patients With Recurrent Glioblastoma (GBM) and Disease Progression Following Abstract No: 417PD Prior Bevacizumab Treatment Poster Session D.A. Reardon, E. Pan, J. Fan, J. Mink, D. Barboriak, J.J. Vredenburgh, A. Saturday 29th Desjardins, K. Peters, J.P. O'Brien, P. September 13:00-14:00 Wen A Phase Ib Clinical Trial of the Lenvatinib (E7080) Multi-targeted Kinase Inhibitor Lenvatinib (E7080) in Combination With Abstract No: 814P Everolimus for Treatment of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma (RCC) Poster Session A.M. Molina, T.E. Hutson, J.M.G. Saturday 29th Larkin, A. Gold, C. Andresen, K. Wood, September 13:00-14:00 R. Motzer, M.D. Michaelson Lenvatinib (E7080) Phase I/II Trial of Lenvatinib (E7080), a Multi-targeted Tyrosine Kinase Abstract No: 737P Inhibitor, in Patients with Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) Poster Session K. Ikeda, H. Kumada, M. Kudo, S. Sunday 30th September Kawazoe, Y. Osaki, M. Ikeda, T.Okusaka, 13:00-14:00 T. Suzuki, J P O'Brien, K. Okita
"Presentation of these data at ESMO demonstrates continued progress in the development of lenvatinib. Eisai's human health care mission is to help address unmet medical needs and provide healthcare benefits to patients and their families," says Dr Jim O'Brien, Eisai's Lenvatinib International Team Lead. "Our commitment to the development of lenvatinib underscores our commitment to this important mission."
Notes to Editors
Lenvatinib is an orally active inhibitor of multiple receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs), including KDR (VEGFR-2), Flt-1 (VEGFR-1), FGFR1, PDGFR-β and c-kit involved in angiogenesis and tumour proliferation., It is currently being investigated as a treatment for thyroid, hepatocellular, endometrial and other solid tumour types.
Eisai in Oncology
Eisai is dedicated to discovering, developing and producing innovative oncology therapies that can make a difference and impact the lives of patients and their families. This passion for people is part of Eisai's human health care (hhc) mission, which strives for better understanding of the needs of patients and their families to increase the benefits health care provides. Our commitment to meaningful progress in oncology research, built on scientific expertise, is supported by a global capability to conduct discovery and preclinical research, and develop small molecules, therapeutic vaccines, and biologic and supportive care agents for cancer across multiple indications.
Eisai recently expanded their UK Hatfield commercial, research and manufacturing facility which now supports the company's growing EMEA business.
Eisai concentrates its R&D activities in three key areas:
- Neuroscience, including: Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, pain and weight loss
- Oncology including: anticancer therapies; tumour regression, tumour suppression, antibodies, etc
- Vascular/Immunological reaction including: thrombocytopenia, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease
With operations in the U.S., Asia, Europe and its domestic home market of Japan, Eisai employs more than 11,000 people worldwide. In Europe, Eisai undertakes sales and marketing operations in over 20 markets, including the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Ireland, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Portugal, Iceland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Middle East and Russia.
For further information please visit our web site http://www.eisai.com.
1. Ikeda, K. Kumada, H. Kudo, et al. Phase I/II trial of Lenvatinib (E7080), a multi-targeted tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. Poster presented at the ESMO Congress, Vienna, 2012
2. Reardon, D.A. Pan, E. Fan, et al. A Phase 2 Trial of the multi-targeted kinase inhibitor lenvatinib (E7080) in patients with recurrent glioblastoma and disease progression following prior bevacizumab treatment. Poster presented at the ESMO Congress, Vienna, 2012
3. Molina, AM. Hutson, TE. Larkin, et al. A Phase Ib clinical trial of the multi-targeted kinase inhibitor lenvatinib (E7080) in combination with everolimus for the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Poster presented at the ESMO Congress, Vienna, 2012
4. Matsui J, Funahashi Y, Uenaka T et al. Multi-kinase inhibitor E7080 suppresses lymph node and lung metastases of human mammary breast tumour MDA-MB-231 via inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor-receptor (VEGF-R) 2 and VEGF-R3 kinase. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 5459-65.
5. Matsui J, Yamamoto Y, Funahashi Y, et al. E7080, a novel inhibitor that targets multiple kinases, has potent anti-tumour activities against stem cell factor producing human small cell lung cancer H146, based on angiogenesis inhibition. Int J Cancer 2008; 122: 664-71.
Date of preparation: September 2012
Job code: Lenvatinib-UK0006