|By PR Newswire||
|October 10, 2012 06:00 PM EDT||
OAKLAND, Calif., Oct. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Kaiser Permanente leads the nation with the most No. 1s, receiving top marks in 16 out of 40 effectiveness of care measures among all reporting commercial health plans, according to the 2012 National Committee for Quality Assurance's Quality Compass® data.
Kaiser Permanente received top marks for:
- Breast cancer screening
- Comprehensive diabetes care — blood pressure control (<140/80)
- Comprehensive diabetes care — blood pressure control (<140/90)
- Comprehensive diabetes care — medical attention for nephropathy
- Antidepressant medication management (effective acute phase)
- Antidepressant medication management (effective continuation phase)
- Weight assessment for children — body mass index percentile
- Counseling for nutrition for children
- Counseling for physical activity for children
- Chlamydia screening in women (ages 16–20, 21–24 and total)
- Appropriate treatment for children with upper respiratory infection
- Avoidance of antibiotic treatment in adults with acute bronchitis
- Use of spirometry testing in assessment & diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Annual monitoring for patients on persistent medications — anticonvulsants
- Medical assistance with smoking cessation – advising smokers to quit
- Medical assistance with smoking cessation – discussing strategies
"The data from this year's Quality Compass demonstrates the level of dedication from our doctors and care teams," said Amy Compton-Phillips, MD, associate executive director of Quality with The Permanente Federation, the umbrella organization representing Kaiser Permanente's physicians who care for more than 9 million members nationwide. "These outstanding rankings are also a result of Kaiser Permanente's continuous quality improvement strategy where all care givers — physicians, nurses, managers, and frontline staff — apply best practices that will lead to better and safer care."
The medical teams are supported by Kaiser Permanente's increasing use of health information technology and its integrated electronic health record, Kaiser Permanente HealthConnect®, which provides members with convenient, 24/7 access to their personal health information and to their care teams, with goals of increasing self-management and improving health outcomes.
This recognition by NCQA is just the latest in a string of national accolades Kaiser Permanente has received in past several weeks. In mid-September, the NCQA ranked Kaiser Permanente's three largest health plans — with a total membership of more than 7 million — as the three top Medicare plans in the country. Shortly thereafter, The Joint Commission named 20 Kaiser Foundation Hospitals "Top Performers" on key quality measures.
NCQA is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to improving health care quality. NCQA accredits and certifies a wide range of health care organizations. It also recognizes clinicians and practices in key areas of performance. NCQA is committed to providing health care quality information for consumers, purchasers, health care providers and researchers.
The source for data contained in this publication is Quality Compass® 2012 and is used with the permission of the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). Quality Compass 2012 includes certain CAHPS data. Any data display, analysis, interpretation, or conclusion based on these data is solely that of the authors, and NCQA specifically disclaims responsibility for any such display, analysis, interpretation, or conclusion. Quality Compass is a registered trademark of NCQA. CAHPS® is a registered trademark of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
About Kaiser Permanente
Kaiser Permanente is committed to helping shape the future of health care. We are recognized as one of America's leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans. Founded in 1945, our mission is to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve. We currently serve more than 9 million members in nine states and the District of Columbia. Care for members and patients is focused on their total health and guided by their personal physicians, specialists and team of caregivers. Our expert and caring medical teams are empowered and supported by industry-leading technology advances and tools for health promotion, disease prevention, state-of-the-art care delivery and world-class chronic disease management. Kaiser Permanente is dedicated to care innovations, clinical research, health education and the support of community health. For more information, go to: kp.org/newscenter.
Contact: Mark Camps, Kaiser Permanente, 510-625-5624
SOURCE Kaiser Permanente