|By Marketwire .||
|October 11, 2012 05:00 AM EDT||
MISSION, KS -- (Marketwire) -- 10/11/12 -- (Family Features) Whether it's kids hanging out with friends after school or you watching the game with neighbors, there are plenty of reasons to have kid-friendly snacks that grown-ups will enjoy, too. One way to keep everybody happy is to bring cheese into the mix.
Cheese is versatile, nutritious and can add zest to snacks and family-friendly dishes. And with a broad array of appetizing flavors such as Gouda, Provolone and Pepper Jack, available from Borden® Cheese, the options are boundless.
Here are a few cheesy snack ideas that you and the kids will enjoy making as much as you enjoy eating.
- Walking tacos - Layer taco meat, tomatoes, lettuce and shredded cheese in individual serving-sized bags of corn chips. Top them off with sour cream, guacamole or salsa, then eat them with a fork, right out of the bag.
- Baked mac and cheese bites - Spoon your favorite baked macaroni and cheese recipe into mini-muffin tins and bake.
- Kebabs - Alternate chunks of ham, grapes, and cheese cut into shapes with a small cookie cutter.
- String cheese dippers - Roll string cheese in breadcrumbs and bake. Serve warm with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Mini quesadillas - Sandwich cheese, shredded chicken and salsa in between two tortillas. Bake until cheese has melted. Slice into triangles with a pizza cutter, and serve with salsa and sour cream.
- Pinwheel wraps - Spread a thin layer of ranch dressing on a flour tortilla. Layer sliced cheese and ham on top. Roll up, and cut into bite-sized pinwheels.
You can also try these Pizza Bagel Snacks and Italian Rosemary Cheese Straws. Both recipes use Borden Cheese, which is made by a cooperative that is 100 percent farmer-owned. This means that for every product purchased, 100 percent of its proceeds go back to hard-working American dairy farmers and their families.
For more information about Borden Cheese or to check out some more cheesy recipes, visit www.FriendsOfElsie.com.
Pizza Bagel Snacks 2 bagels, halved 1/3 cup pasta sauce 1 cup Borden Mozzarella Part-Skim Regular Shredded Cheese Toppings of your choice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Halve two bagels, and top them with the pasta sauce, cheese and toppings of your choice. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Suggestions for toppings are thin slices of hot dogs, sliced ham or any lunch meat, pepperoni, browned hamburger, mushrooms, diced green peppers, chopped onions and black olive slices. Be creative with toppings that your family likes.
Italian Rosemary Cheese Straws 1/2 package puff pastry 1 egg 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt with parsley 1 cup Borden Colby and Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Unfold pastry sheet; cut into 1/2-inch strips. Combine egg, rosemary and seasoning; whisk to blend. Brush evenly over pastry strips.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over the top, and press into dough with rolling pin. Twist strips; place on greased baking sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden. Top with remaining cheese; bake 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
About Family Features Editorial Syndicate
This and other food and lifestyle content can be found at www.editors.familyfeatures.com. Family Features is a leading provider of free food and lifestyle content for use in print and online publications. Register with no obligation to access a variety of formatted and unformatted features, accompanying photos, and automatically updating Web content solutions.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2118774