|By Marketwire .||
|October 14, 2012 01:44 PM EDT||
WILLIAMSBURG, VA -- (Marketwire) -- 10/14/12 -- As Virginia continues to be a hotbed of political activity approaching the 2012 election with multiple visits from both President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney, Colonial Williamsburg's role in civic discourse continues to be relevant. With the backdrop of the election, below is the latest news from the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
- Colonial Williamsburg is a center for history and citizenship. The birthplace of modern American democracy, Colonial Williamsburg fosters non-partisan, civic engagement through thought-provoking and interactive interpretations of critical moments in 18th-century American history.
- Colonial Williamsburg's interactive programming interprets critical moments in American history, and encourages guests to reflect upon their own ideals in the context of a collective American past.
- Talented actor-interpreters pair historic fact with dramatic flair for an exciting and engaging immersion into the 18th century.
- Interpretive programming spans debate and discussion; to storytelling; to RevQuest: Save the Revolution, a series which uses text-messaging, clues and puzzles to guide guests through the Revolutionary City.
- A Colonial Williamsburg experience gives guests a fresh perspective of the issues of the day by showing the endurance of key topics in civic discussion.
- CWConnect is an online forum for 21st-century dialogue focused on political issues spanning four centuries; guests can share their opinions and learn from Colonial Williamsburg's experts and historians.
- Over the past 75 years, 11 U.S. Presidents and many world leaders have visited the Historic Area of Colonial Williamsburg during their candidacies, time in office, or post-presidency.
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, a center for American history, citizenship, and democracy, is a not-for-profit educational institution and cultural destination. The Foundation is dedicated to promoting the importance of an informed, active citizenship. Its mission, "that the future may learn from the past," is realized through offering innovative, imaginative, and interactive on-site experiences designed to educate guests about the importance of the American Revolution. From RevQuest: Save the Revolution, a series of technology-assisted alternate reality games, to the theatrical programming of Revolutionary City®, guests can become immersed in the drama of the American Revolution and discover the ongoing relevance of the past. Guests can also visit the Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg, enjoy the vast number of gardens and pastures, and visit up to 35 historic sites. To experience all that the Foundation offers, stay in one of the five award-winning official Colonial Williamsburg Hotels. Then enjoy the award-winning golf courses of the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club, indulge in The Spa of Colonial Williamsburg, and shop in 40 stores. Savor fine dining in more than 20 locations from historic dining taverns to restaurants with contemporary fare. Colonial Williamsburg is open 365 days a year. A full schedule of programs and special events can be found by visiting colonialwilliamsburg.com