|By PR Newswire||
|October 19, 2012 02:59 AM EDT||
PITTSBURGH, Oct. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- President Bill Clinton spoke to over 1,300 young leaders from around the world this evening as they gathered in Pittsburgh to address society's most pressing issues.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this content, please click: http://www.multivu.com/players/English/58385-one-young-world-for-young-leaders/
President Clinton addressed delegates at the opening ceremony, which kicked-off three days of activity designed to produce tangible action plans for positive change across the globe.
Bob Geldof KBE, and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Muhammad Yunus spoke at the opening ceremony on the evening of Oct. 18, to outline the challenges and opportunities One Young World presents to delegates and returning Ambassadors.
They are part of a distinguished group of Counsellors that includes former UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan; Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey; musician Joss Stone; model and philanthropist Natalia Vodianova; Unilever CEO Paul Polman and campaigner Jamie Oliver. The Counsellors will offer inspiration and assistance to delegates as they develop their plans of action.
During the ceremony, One Young World co-founders, David Jones, Global CEO of Havas, and Kate Robertson, UK Group Chairman of Havas Worldwide, formally opened the third annual One Young World summit, the first to take place in the USA.
In a display of the Summit's global reach, representatives from each of the 182 attending countries paraded their national flags bringing them on stage as a gesture of unity.
One Young World was welcomed to Pittsburgh by Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, who at 32 still holds the distinction of being the youngest mayor of any major U.S. city. The opening ceremony took place at Heinz Hall for the Performing Arts, home to the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, which also performed.
David Jones, co-founder of One Young World and Global CEO of Havas, said:
"The One Young World opening ceremony provided an inspiring backdrop for the main focus of the Summit – how young leaders can bring tangible change into their communities.
"The attendance of President Clinton, along with international figures including Sir Bob Geldof, Muhammad Yunus and Kofi Annan, demonstrates the global significance One Young World has attained. They are world-renowned leaders who can inspire the next generation of decision-makers and help shape their ideas into plans for concrete action."
Sy Holzer, president, PNC Bank Pittsburgh and chairman, One Young World Pittsburgh Partnership Executive committee, said:
"From our waterways and bridges, to our architecture, symphony and hospitality, Pittsburgh is showing its connection to the nations of the world. The opening ceremony set the tone for the next three days and inspired a sense of community that the delegates will become a part of during the Summit and thereafter."
The list of One Young World Counsellors includes:
- Alvaro Uribe - former President of Colombia
- Arianna Huffington - founder and CEO, Huffington Post
- Bernard Kouchner - co-founder, Médecins Sans Frontieres and Medecins du Monde
- Bill Strickland - president and CEO, Manchester Bidwell Corporation
- Bob Geldof - musician and activist
- Carole Stone - founder, YouGov
- Carolyn Miles - president and CEO, Save the children
- Christine Ockrent - journalist
- Doug Richard - founder, School for Startups
- Eli Leoni-Sceti - co-founder and chairman, LSG Holdings
- Fatima Bhutto - author, journalist and campaigner
- Glenn Manoff - director, social business and sustainability, O2
- Hans Reitz - founder and managing director, The Grameen Creative Lab
- Jack Dorsey - co-founder, Twitter and co-founder and CEO of Square
- James Chau - anchor, China Central Television (CCTV)
- Jamie Oliver - chef, BBC broadcaster and nutrition campaigner
- Jan Peter Ballkenende - former Prime Minister of the Netherlands
- Jeremy Gilley - British actor, filmmaker, founder of Peace One Day
- Jimmy Wales - founder and CEO, Wikipedia
- Joss Stone - musician
- Kal Penn - actor and adviser to President Obama
- Ken Roth - executive director, Human Rights Watch
- Kofi Annan - former Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Manfred Honeck - music director, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
- Marc Kielburger - co-founder, Free the Children and Me to We
- Michael Hastings - journalist and writer
- Michiel Bakker - director-global food services, Google
- Miller Matola - CEO, Brand SA
- Muhammad Yunus - founder, Grameen Bank and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- Natalia Vodianova - model and philanthropist
- Oscar Morales - campaigner, founder of One Million Voices Against The FARC
- Paul Polman - Global CEO, Unilever
- Pete Cashmore - founder and CEO, Mashable
- Peter Solmssen - general counsel, Siemens Corporation
- Silvia Lagnado - CMO, Bacardi
- Vanderlei Cordeiro de Lima - former long-distance runner
- Will Hutton - columnist and former editor-in-chief, The Observer
- Zafar Siddiqi - chairman and co-founder of CNBC Africa, chairman and founder of CNBC Arabia and president and founder of CNBC Pakistan
About One Young World
One Young World is a charity that stages an annual Summit, gathering together the brightest young people from around the world. At the 2012 Summit young leaders from 182 countries will share their vision, views and ideas to create practical and achievable commitments for positive change.
Unlike any other event, One Young World Summit gives delegates the kind of media platform afforded ordinarily only to those who lead countries and corporations. Delegates speak alongside global figures who this year include former U.S. President Bill Clinton, Bob Geldof KBE, Professor Muhammad Yunus, Kofi Annan, Jamie Oliver, Pete Cashmore and Fatima Bhutto many others.
The seven areas of focus for the 2012 Summit are:
- Global Business
- Human Rights
- Leadership & Governance
- Sustainable Development
- Transparency & Integrity
Following the Summit, One Young World Ambassadors will deliver positive outcomes in these areas in their countries and communities and, using the lasting connections One Young World enables them to maintain, on a global scale.
Founded by David Jones, Global CEO of Havas, and Kate Robertson, UK Group Chairman, Havas Worldwide, the annual One Young World Summit is a unique event that offers international decision makers powerful insight into where our world may be heading.
One Young World Summit 2012 will be held in Pittsburgh, USA, from 18-22 October.
For more information about One Young World please visit: www.oneyoungworld.com
SOURCE One Young World