|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 04:01 AM EST||
GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo., Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AMPE), a biopharmaceutical company developing repurposed drugs and new molecular entities (NMEs) that treat inflammatory diseases, including osteoarthritis, diabetic macular edema (DME) and sexual dysfunction is providing this update on its recent activities ahead of its scheduled shareholder meeting that will take place on December 15, 2012.
"Our goal is to commercialize our extensive drug and patent portfolio to the benefit of our shareholders," said Michael Macaluso, CEO. "We are now entering the pivotal clinical trial phase for the three drugs and one diagnostic device which have most near term promise and will soon either be licensed, sold, partnered or directly distributed by Ampio. Once this is accomplished, we will move up other drugs from our pipeline into the development phase."
The update is as follows:
Ampion™ is a unique anti-inflammatory biologic being developed for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Ampio entered into a manufacturing agreement with Sypharma (Australia) for the production of Ampion™ for intra articular injection. The initial production run was completed and the stability-testing program, conducted in parallel to the clinical trials, is underway.
- Ampio has recently met with the CBER division of the FDA and received guidance for the conduct of pivotal trials for approval in the USA. Both open label and placebo controlled trials will be conducted over the next year to provide the full 1,500 patient exposure for safety and clinical efficacy data. The recent FDA discussions have indicated that if the results of these trials mirror the successful outcomes seen in the Australian trials it will be sufficient for registration as a chronic use therapy and an IND is being prepared.
- Multiple sites for the conduct of the trials have been identified and several CRO proposals were received and are being evaluated.
- Ampio has an extensive portfolio of patents for Ampion™ and expects additional patents to be awarded, worldwide that encompass composition of matter, uses and synthesis patents.
Optina™ is an orally administered ultra-low dose of danazol for the treatment of diabetic macular edema (DME).
- A phase 2a clinical trial conducted in Canada demonstrated encouraging results.
- Scientific, peer-reviewed manuscripts, on the mechanism of action of the Optina™ were recently published in BBRC (Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012 May 18;421(4):707-12) and as a cover story was published in Retina Today (October 2012 issue).
- Ampio has obtained the active ingredient, danazol, for the Optina clinical trial from CIPLA (Mumbai, India).
- Ampio entered into a contractual agreement for the formulation of Optina™ with Green Mountain (Denver, Colorado) to produce the ultra-low doses of Optina™, which will be used in the forthcoming phase 2b clinical trials in the USA and elsewhere. The trials will be conducted under a 505(b)2 pathway in adherence to guidance provided by the FDA at a pre-IND meeting and an IND application is being prepared.
- Ampio will conduct pivotal trials in Europe (sites identified) for this indication.
- Ampio was recently awarded multiple patents both in the USA and worldwide for Optina™.
- Ampio is engaged in discussions with potential partners for Optina™.
Sexual Dysfunction drugs
This program includes Zertane™, for the treatment of premature ejaculation (PE), and Zertane ED™, for the treatment of comorbid premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction (ED).
- Ampio has completed two phase 3 clinical trials in Europe on Zertane™.
- Ampio is poised to file an IND for pivotal trials under the 505(b)2 pathway in the USA adhering to the guidance provided by the FDA during our Pre-IND meeting.
- Ampio has identified sites to conduct its pivotal trials in the USA.
- Ampio will be filing for approval of Zertane™, based on the European trials results, in Australia (TGA). Approval in Australia will facilitate approval in many countries in Latin America and the Pacific Rim where we have already licensed Zertane™.
- Ampio has secured a manufacturing agreement with Ethypharm (France) to produce the ODT formulation of Zertane™, which will be used for the pivotal trials in the USA.
- Ampio entered into a contract with Syngene (Bangalore, India) to manufacture Zertane ED™, which will be used in clinical trials in South Korea, in compliance with FDA standards, by its partner/licensee Daewoong.
- Ampio was awarded multiple US and international patents on Zertane™ and was recently awarded patents on the combination treatment for PE and ED (as well as patents for the reduction of potential side effects of tramadol) in China, Europe and multiple other countries.
- Ampio has secured licenses in Brazil and S. Korea for these drugs and is currently in discussions with potential global partners.
- Ampio has contracted Pharmerit, Inc. (Cambridge, MA) to complete the development of the Patient Outcome for Premature Ejaculation (POPE) patient reported outcome (PRO) tool for the evaluation of premature ejaculation therapy. When completed in the next few weeks this will be the only validated PRO tool for PE in the FDA environment. The completion of the POPE trial will allow Ampio to file the IND in the USA and conclude its negotiations with pharmaceutical partners.
Methyl Phenidate derivative
NCE-001 was selected from a class of compounds belonging to analogues of methyl phenidates synthesized and patented by Ampio. In vitro experiments have demonstrated beneficial effects of NCE-001 on several cancer cell lines as well as on angiogenesis and inflammation cell models. The mechanism of action appears to be novel and will be published in peer reviewed journals.
- Ampio was awarded composition of matter patents as well as use patents worldwide for this compound and for several other analogues.
- Ampio recently entered into a preclinical development agreement for this lead compound with Syngene (Bangalore, India).
- The initial selected indications to be developed in this preclinical phase will be for cancer in the orphan drug category and for neuroinflammatory conditions such as Alzheimer's disease.
- It is anticipated that this preclinical phase up to an IND filing will be completed in approximately 14 months.
Oxidation-reduction potential (ORP)
ORP is a point of care diagnostic platform developed by Ampio for multiple indications. The platform technology includes a specifically designed, battery operated, instrument-reader and of disposable electrodes/ strips- a concept analogous to a glucometer and its disposable strips. ORP is a homeostatic parameter reflecting the balance between pro and anti-oxidants in a system (it is a measure of electron transfer). An elevated blood ORP indicates increased oxidative stress.
- Ampio has just been awarded two USA patents for the disposable electrodes and multiple additional patents are pending worldwide on various aspects of the program including use patents and others. Other patented measured and calculated parameters indicate reductive reserves, meaning how much anti-oxidant reserve does a patient have before oxidative stress starts damaging important biological structures and molecules.
- Ampio entered into a manufacturing contract with UHV (San Jose, CA) for the manufacture of the single-use disposable electrodes and the instrument/reader is in its final stages of development/assembly.
- Multiple clinical studies have been completed (thousands of patients) encompassing the many potential indications for this platform technology and are awaiting final analysis and publication of results. Ampio will focus the initial clinical indication to the best obtained results from these extensive clinical studies.
- Ampio believes the ORP device will be cleared by the FDA under a 510(k).
- Ampio anticipates spinning-off this program into a separately financed entity.
Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. develops innovative proprietary drugs for inflammation, eye disease, kidney disease, CNS disease, metabolic disease and male sexual dysfunction. The product pipeline includes new uses for previously approved drugs and new molecular entities ("NMEs"). By concentrating on development of new uses for previously approved drugs, approval timelines, costs and risk of clinical failure are reduced because these drugs have strong potential to be safe and effective while their shorter development times can significantly increase near term value. A key strategy includes actively exploring partnership, licensing and other collaboration opportunities to maximize Ampio's product development programs. For more information about Ampio, please visit our website, www.ampiopharma.com.
Ampio's statements in this press release that are not historical fact and that relate to future plans or events are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can be identified by use of words such as "believe," "expect," "plan," "anticipate," and similar expressions. These forward-looking statements include risks associated with clinical trials, expected results, regulatory approvals, successful commercialization and marketing of Zertane™ and the combination drug in Korea, and changes in business conditions and similar events. The risks and uncertainties involved include those detailed from time to time in Ampio's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including Ampio's Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
Contact: Rick Giles, Investor Relations, Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 720-437-6500
SOURCE Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Software AG helps organizations transform into Digital Enterprises, so they can differentiate from competitors and better engage customers, partners and employees. Using the Software AG Suite, companies can close the gap between business and IT to create digital systems of differentiation that drive front-line agility. We offer four on-ramps to the Digital Enterprise: alignment through collaborative process analysis; transformation through portfolio management; agility through process automation and integration; and visibility through intelligent business operations and big data.
Sep. 30, 2014 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,228
There will be 50 billion Internet connected devices by 2020. Today, every manufacturer has a propriety protocol and an app. How do we securely integrate these "things" into our lives and businesses in a way that we can easily control and manage? Even better, how do we integrate these "things" so that they control and manage each other so our lives become more convenient or our businesses become more profitable and/or safe? We have heard that the best interface is no interface. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Co-Founder & CTO at Octoblu, Inc., will discuss how these devices generate enough data to learn our behaviors and simplify/improve our lives. What if we could connect everything to everything? I'm not only talking about connecting things to things but also systems, cloud services, and people. Add in a little machine learning and artificial intelligence and now we have something interesting...
Sep. 29, 2014 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,799
Last week, while in San Francisco, I used the Uber app and service four times. All four experiences were great, although one of the drivers stopped for 30 seconds and then left as I was walking up to the car. He must have realized I was a blogger. None the less, the next car was just a minute away and I suffered no pain. In this article, my colleague, Ved Sen, Global Head, Advisory Services Social, Mobile and Sensors at Cognizant shares his experiences and insights.
Sep. 28, 2014 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,481
We are reaching the end of the beginning with WebRTC and real systems using this technology have begun to appear. One challenge that faces every WebRTC deployment (in some form or another) is identity management. For example, if you have an existing service – possibly built on a variety of different PaaS/SaaS offerings – and you want to add real-time communications you are faced with a challenge relating to user management, authentication, authorization, and validation. Service providers will want to use their existing identities, but these will have credentials already that are (hopefully) irreversibly encoded. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, will look at how this identity problem can be solved and discuss ways to use existing web identities for real-time communication.
Sep. 27, 2014 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,827
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, will share some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, an Open Source Cloud Communications company that helps the shift from legacy IN/SS7 telco networks to IP-based cloud comms. An early investor in multiple start-ups, he still finds time to code for his companies and contribute to open source projects.
Sep. 27, 2014 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,232
Can call centers hang up the phones for good? Intuitive Solutions did. WebRTC enabled this contact center provider to eliminate antiquated telephony and desktop phone infrastructure with a pure web-based solution, allowing them to expand beyond brick-and-mortar confines to a home-based agent model. It also ensured scalability and better service for customers, including MUY! Companies, one of the country's largest franchise restaurant companies with 232 Pizza Hut locations. This is one example of WebRTC adoption today, but the potential is limitless when powered by IoT. Attendees will learn real-world benefits of WebRTC and explore future possibilities, as WebRTC and IoT intersect to improve customer service.
Sep. 27, 2014 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,759
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to create new business models as significant as those that were inspired by the Internet and the smartphone 20 and 10 years ago. What business, social and practical implications will this phenomenon bring? That's the subject of "Monetizing the Internet of Things: Perspectives from the Front Lines," an e-book released today and available free of charge from Aria Systems, the leading innovator in recurring revenue management.
Sep. 27, 2014 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,414
The Internet of Things will put IT to its ultimate test by creating infinite new opportunities to digitize products and services, generate and analyze new data to improve customer satisfaction, and discover new ways to gain a competitive advantage across nearly every industry. In order to help corporate business units to capitalize on the rapidly evolving IoT opportunities, IT must stand up to a new set of challenges.
Sep. 27, 2014 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,300
There’s Big Data, then there’s really Big Data from the Internet of Things. IoT is evolving to include many data possibilities like new types of event, log and network data. The volumes are enormous, generating tens of billions of logs per day, which raise data challenges. Early IoT deployments are relying heavily on both the cloud and managed service providers to navigate these challenges. In her session at 6th Big Data Expo®, Hannah Smalltree, Director at Treasure Data, to discuss how IoT, Big Data and deployments are processing massive data volumes from wearables, utilities and other machines.
Sep. 27, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,989
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices – computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors – connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be!
Sep. 27, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,116
P2P RTC will impact the landscape of communications, shifting from traditional telephony style communications models to OTT (Over-The-Top) cloud assisted & PaaS (Platform as a Service) communication services. The P2P shift will impact many areas of our lives, from mobile communication, human interactive web services, RTC and telephony infrastructure, user federation, security and privacy implications, business costs, and scalability. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Erik Lagerway, Co-founder of Hookflash, will walk through the shifting landscape of traditional telephone and voice services to the modern P2P RTC era of OTT cloud assisted services.
Sep. 26, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,467
While great strides have been made relative to the video aspects of remote collaboration, audio technology has basically stagnated. Typically all audio is mixed to a single monaural stream and emanates from a single point, such as a speakerphone or a speaker associated with a video monitor. This leads to confusion and lack of understanding among participants especially regarding who is actually speaking. Spatial teleconferencing introduces the concept of acoustic spatial separation between conference participants in three dimensional space. This has been shown to significantly improve comprehension and conference efficiency.
Sep. 26, 2014 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,408
The Internet of Things is tied together with a thin strand that is known as time. Coincidentally, at the core of nearly all data analytics is a timestamp. When working with time series data there are a few core principles that everyone should consider, especially across datasets where time is the common boundary. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy & Architecture at MapR Technologies, will discuss single-value, geo-spatial, and log time series data. By focusing on enterprise applications and the data center, he will use OpenTSDB as an example to explain some of these concepts including when to use different storage models.
Sep. 26, 2014 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,245
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in software-defined storage (SDS) purpose-built for Windows Servers and Hyper-V, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Gridstore™ is the leader in software-defined storage purpose built for virtualization that is designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Using its patented Server-Side Virtual Controller™ Technology (SVCT) to eliminate the I/O blender effect and accelerate applications Gridstore delivers vmOptimized™ Storage that self-optimizes to each application or VM across both virtual and physical environments. Leveraging a grid architecture, Gridstore delivers the first end-to-end storage QoS to ensure the most important App or VM performance is never compromised. The storage grid, that uses Gridstore’s performance optimized nodes or capacity optimized nodes, starts with as few a...
Sep. 26, 2014 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,587
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace. These technological reforms have not only changed computers and smartphones, but are also changing the data processing model for all information devices. In particular, in the area known as M2M (Machine-To-Machine), there are great expectations that information with a new type of value can be produced using a variety of devices and sensors saving/sharing data via the network and through large-scale cloud-type data processing. This consortium believes that attaching a huge number of devic...
Sep. 26, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,516
Innodisk is a service-driven provider of industrial embedded flash and DRAM storage products and technologies, with a focus on the enterprise, industrial, aerospace, and defense industries. Innodisk is dedicated to serving their customers and business partners. Quality is vitally important when it comes to industrial embedded flash and DRAM storage products. That’s why Innodisk manufactures all of their products in their own purpose-built memory production facility. In fact, they designed and built their production center to maximize manufacturing efficiency and guarantee the highest quality of our products.
Sep. 26, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,517
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. Over the summer Gartner released its much anticipated annual Hype Cycle report and the big news is that Internet of Things has now replaced Big Data as the most hyped technology. Indeed, we're hearing more and more about this fascinating new technological paradigm. Every other IT news item seems to be about IoT and its implications on the future of digital business.
Sep. 26, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,006
Can call centers hang up the phones for good? Intuitive Solutions did. WebRTC enabled this contact center provider to eliminate antiquated telephony and desktop phone infrastructure with a pure web-based solution, allowing them to expand beyond brick-and-mortar confines to a home-based agent model. Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here
Sep. 26, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,474
BSQUARE is a global leader of embedded software solutions. We enable smart connected systems at the device level and beyond that millions use every day and provide actionable data solutions for the growing Internet of Things (IoT) market. We empower our world-class customers with our products, services and solutions to achieve innovation and success. For more information, visit www.bsquare.com.
Sep. 26, 2014 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,365
With the iCloud scandal seemingly in its past, Apple announced new iPhones, updates to iPad and MacBook as well as news on OSX Yosemite. Although consumers will have to wait to get their hands on some of that new stuff, what they can get is the latest release of iOS 8 that Apple made available for most in-market iPhones and iPads. Originally announced at WWDC (Apple’s annual developers conference) in June, iOS 8 seems to spearhead Apple’s newfound focus upon greater integration of their products into everyday tasks, cross-platform mobility and self-monitoring. Before you update your device, here is a look at some of the new features and things you may want to consider from a mobile security perspective.
Sep. 26, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,352