|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 04:01 AM EST||
GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo., Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (AMPE), a biopharmaceutical company developing repurposed drugs and new molecular entities (NMEs) that treat inflammatory diseases, including osteoarthritis, diabetic macular edema (DME) and sexual dysfunction is providing this update on its recent activities ahead of its scheduled shareholder meeting that will take place on December 15, 2012.
"Our goal is to commercialize our extensive drug and patent portfolio to the benefit of our shareholders," said Michael Macaluso, CEO. "We are now entering the pivotal clinical trial phase for the three drugs and one diagnostic device which have most near term promise and will soon either be licensed, sold, partnered or directly distributed by Ampio. Once this is accomplished, we will move up other drugs from our pipeline into the development phase."
The update is as follows:
Ampion™ is a unique anti-inflammatory biologic being developed for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Ampio entered into a manufacturing agreement with Sypharma (Australia) for the production of Ampion™ for intra articular injection. The initial production run was completed and the stability-testing program, conducted in parallel to the clinical trials, is underway.
- Ampio has recently met with the CBER division of the FDA and received guidance for the conduct of pivotal trials for approval in the USA. Both open label and placebo controlled trials will be conducted over the next year to provide the full 1,500 patient exposure for safety and clinical efficacy data. The recent FDA discussions have indicated that if the results of these trials mirror the successful outcomes seen in the Australian trials it will be sufficient for registration as a chronic use therapy and an IND is being prepared.
- Multiple sites for the conduct of the trials have been identified and several CRO proposals were received and are being evaluated.
- Ampio has an extensive portfolio of patents for Ampion™ and expects additional patents to be awarded, worldwide that encompass composition of matter, uses and synthesis patents.
Optina™ is an orally administered ultra-low dose of danazol for the treatment of diabetic macular edema (DME).
- A phase 2a clinical trial conducted in Canada demonstrated encouraging results.
- Scientific, peer-reviewed manuscripts, on the mechanism of action of the Optina™ were recently published in BBRC (Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012 May 18;421(4):707-12) and as a cover story was published in Retina Today (October 2012 issue).
- Ampio has obtained the active ingredient, danazol, for the Optina clinical trial from CIPLA (Mumbai, India).
- Ampio entered into a contractual agreement for the formulation of Optina™ with Green Mountain (Denver, Colorado) to produce the ultra-low doses of Optina™, which will be used in the forthcoming phase 2b clinical trials in the USA and elsewhere. The trials will be conducted under a 505(b)2 pathway in adherence to guidance provided by the FDA at a pre-IND meeting and an IND application is being prepared.
- Ampio will conduct pivotal trials in Europe (sites identified) for this indication.
- Ampio was recently awarded multiple patents both in the USA and worldwide for Optina™.
- Ampio is engaged in discussions with potential partners for Optina™.
Sexual Dysfunction drugs
This program includes Zertane™, for the treatment of premature ejaculation (PE), and Zertane ED™, for the treatment of comorbid premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction (ED).
- Ampio has completed two phase 3 clinical trials in Europe on Zertane™.
- Ampio is poised to file an IND for pivotal trials under the 505(b)2 pathway in the USA adhering to the guidance provided by the FDA during our Pre-IND meeting.
- Ampio has identified sites to conduct its pivotal trials in the USA.
- Ampio will be filing for approval of Zertane™, based on the European trials results, in Australia (TGA). Approval in Australia will facilitate approval in many countries in Latin America and the Pacific Rim where we have already licensed Zertane™.
- Ampio has secured a manufacturing agreement with Ethypharm (France) to produce the ODT formulation of Zertane™, which will be used for the pivotal trials in the USA.
- Ampio entered into a contract with Syngene (Bangalore, India) to manufacture Zertane ED™, which will be used in clinical trials in South Korea, in compliance with FDA standards, by its partner/licensee Daewoong.
- Ampio was awarded multiple US and international patents on Zertane™ and was recently awarded patents on the combination treatment for PE and ED (as well as patents for the reduction of potential side effects of tramadol) in China, Europe and multiple other countries.
- Ampio has secured licenses in Brazil and S. Korea for these drugs and is currently in discussions with potential global partners.
- Ampio has contracted Pharmerit, Inc. (Cambridge, MA) to complete the development of the Patient Outcome for Premature Ejaculation (POPE) patient reported outcome (PRO) tool for the evaluation of premature ejaculation therapy. When completed in the next few weeks this will be the only validated PRO tool for PE in the FDA environment. The completion of the POPE trial will allow Ampio to file the IND in the USA and conclude its negotiations with pharmaceutical partners.
Methyl Phenidate derivative
NCE-001 was selected from a class of compounds belonging to analogues of methyl phenidates synthesized and patented by Ampio. In vitro experiments have demonstrated beneficial effects of NCE-001 on several cancer cell lines as well as on angiogenesis and inflammation cell models. The mechanism of action appears to be novel and will be published in peer reviewed journals.
- Ampio was awarded composition of matter patents as well as use patents worldwide for this compound and for several other analogues.
- Ampio recently entered into a preclinical development agreement for this lead compound with Syngene (Bangalore, India).
- The initial selected indications to be developed in this preclinical phase will be for cancer in the orphan drug category and for neuroinflammatory conditions such as Alzheimer's disease.
- It is anticipated that this preclinical phase up to an IND filing will be completed in approximately 14 months.
Oxidation-reduction potential (ORP)
ORP is a point of care diagnostic platform developed by Ampio for multiple indications. The platform technology includes a specifically designed, battery operated, instrument-reader and of disposable electrodes/ strips- a concept analogous to a glucometer and its disposable strips. ORP is a homeostatic parameter reflecting the balance between pro and anti-oxidants in a system (it is a measure of electron transfer). An elevated blood ORP indicates increased oxidative stress.
- Ampio has just been awarded two USA patents for the disposable electrodes and multiple additional patents are pending worldwide on various aspects of the program including use patents and others. Other patented measured and calculated parameters indicate reductive reserves, meaning how much anti-oxidant reserve does a patient have before oxidative stress starts damaging important biological structures and molecules.
- Ampio entered into a manufacturing contract with UHV (San Jose, CA) for the manufacture of the single-use disposable electrodes and the instrument/reader is in its final stages of development/assembly.
- Multiple clinical studies have been completed (thousands of patients) encompassing the many potential indications for this platform technology and are awaiting final analysis and publication of results. Ampio will focus the initial clinical indication to the best obtained results from these extensive clinical studies.
- Ampio believes the ORP device will be cleared by the FDA under a 510(k).
- Ampio anticipates spinning-off this program into a separately financed entity.
Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. develops innovative proprietary drugs for inflammation, eye disease, kidney disease, CNS disease, metabolic disease and male sexual dysfunction. The product pipeline includes new uses for previously approved drugs and new molecular entities ("NMEs"). By concentrating on development of new uses for previously approved drugs, approval timelines, costs and risk of clinical failure are reduced because these drugs have strong potential to be safe and effective while their shorter development times can significantly increase near term value. A key strategy includes actively exploring partnership, licensing and other collaboration opportunities to maximize Ampio's product development programs. For more information about Ampio, please visit our website, www.ampiopharma.com.
Ampio's statements in this press release that are not historical fact and that relate to future plans or events are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can be identified by use of words such as "believe," "expect," "plan," "anticipate," and similar expressions. These forward-looking statements include risks associated with clinical trials, expected results, regulatory approvals, successful commercialization and marketing of Zertane™ and the combination drug in Korea, and changes in business conditions and similar events. The risks and uncertainties involved include those detailed from time to time in Ampio's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including Ampio's Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
Contact: Rick Giles, Investor Relations, Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 720-437-6500
SOURCE Ampio Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
The Internet of Things will put IT to its ultimate test by creating infinite new opportunities to digitize products and services, generate and analyze new data to improve customer satisfaction, and discover new ways to gain a competitive advantage across nearly every industry. In order to help corporate business units to capitalize on the rapidly evolving IoT opportunities, IT must stand up to a new set of challenges. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Kaplan, Managing Director of THINKstrateg...
May. 27, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,335
For better or worse, DevOps has gone mainstream. All doubt was removed when IBM and HP threw up their respective DevOps microsites. Where are we on the hype cycle? It's hard to say for sure but there's a feeling we're heading for the "Peak of Inflated Expectations." What does this mean for the enterprise? Should they avoid DevOps? Definitely not. Should they be cautious though? Absolutely. The truth is that DevOps and the enterprise are at best strange bedfellows. The movement has its roots in t...
May. 27, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,263
The true value of the Internet of Things (IoT) lies not just in the data, but through the services that protect the data, perform the analysis and present findings in a usable way. With many IoT elements rooted in traditional IT components, Big Data and IoT isn’t just a play for enterprise. In fact, the IoT presents SMBs with the prospect of launching entirely new activities and exploring innovative areas. CompTIA research identifies several areas where IoT is expected to have the greatest impac...
May. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,881
One of the biggest challenges when developing connected devices is identifying user value and delivering it through successful user experiences. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Mike Kuniavsky, Principal Scientist, Innovation Services at PARC, described an IoT-specific approach to user experience design that combines approaches from interaction design, industrial design and service design to create experiences that go beyond simple connected gadgets to create lasting, multi-device exp...
May. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,989
Can call centers hang up the phones for good? Intuitive Solutions did. WebRTC enabled this contact center provider to eliminate antiquated telephony and desktop phone infrastructure with a pure web-based solution, allowing them to expand beyond brick-and-mortar confines to a home-based agent model. It also ensured scalability and better service for customers, including MUY! Companies, one of the country's largest franchise restaurant companies with 232 Pizza Hut locations. This is one example of...
May. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,378
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. 8th International Big Data Expo, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. As advanced data storage, access and analytics technologies aimed at handling high-volume and/or fast moving data all move center stage, aided by the cloud computing bo...
May. 27, 2015 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,471
Some developers believe that monitoring is a function of the operations team. Some operations teams firmly believe that monitoring the systems they maintain is sufficient to run the business successfully. Most of them are wrong. The complexity of today's applications have gone far and beyond the capabilities of "traditional" system-level monitoring tools and approaches and requires much broader knowledge of business and applications as a whole. The goal of DevOps is to connect all aspects of app...
May. 27, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,780
DevOps is the hottest moving target when it comes to software development methodologies. Many people fear that this fast-paced, barrier-breaking movement will leave information security best practices in the dust. Analysts provide recommendations to security professionals using bingo-laden terms like "moving security to the left" or "get a seat at the table." What we need are real-world examples and tactics for security practitioners to be part of DevOps. In his session at DevOps Summit, Andrew...
May. 27, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,498
Containers Expo Blog covers the world of containers, as this lightweight alternative to virtual machines enables developers to work with identical dev environments and stacks. Containers Expo Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Bookmark Containers Expo Blog ▸ Here Follow new article posts on Twitter at @ContainersExpo
May. 27, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,068
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, discussed how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money!
May. 27, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,939
DevOps is all about agility. However, you don't want to be on a high-speed bus to nowhere. The right DevOps approach controls velocity with a tight feedback loop that not only consists of operational data but also incorporates business context. With a business context in the decision making, the right business priorities are incorporated, which results in a higher value creation. In his session at DevOps Summit, Todd Rader, Solutions Architect at AppDynamics, discussed key monitoring techniques...
May. 27, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,577
SYS-CON Events announced today that MetraTech, now part of Ericsson, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society- a world leader in communications infrastructure, software and services. Some 40% of the world’s mobile traffic runs through networks Ericsson has supplied, serving more than 2.5 billion subscribers.
May. 27, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,304
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will addresses this very serious issue o...
May. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 892
Want to enable self-service provisioning of application environments in minutes that mirror production? Can you automatically provide rich data with code-level detail back to the developers when issues occur in production? In his session at DevOps Summit, David Tesar, Microsoft Technical Evangelist on Microsoft Azure and DevOps, will discuss how to accomplish this and more utilizing technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Visual Studio online, and Application Insights in this demo-heavy session.
May. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,331
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BMC delivers software solutions that help IT transform digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive business advantage. BMC has worked with thousands of leading companies to create and deliver powerful IT management services. From mainframe to cloud to mobile, BMC pairs high-speed digital innovation with robust...
May. 27, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 707