|By Marketwire .||
|November 15, 2012 11:36 AM EST||
CHICAGO, IL -- (Marketwire) -- 11/15/12 -- GoHealthInsurance, the leading online exchange for individuals and families to compare health insurance quotes, today released survey data on their website, revealing the attitudes of their consumers regarding the current state and future of Medicare.
Based on data from a brief consumer survey conducted by GoHealthInsurance.com in September 2012, this report was sent to consumers who shopped for health insurance coverage through GoHealth in 2012. It includes answers from over 125 voluntary participants who used both GoHealth and other agents.
Participants were asked a variety of questions regarding Medicare including:
- Do You Think Health Care Reform Positively or Negatively Changed Medicare Benefits?
- Do You Think The Medicare Program Needs a Complete Overhaul?
- Are You Worried Politicians Will Change Your Medicare Benefits?
- Should Consumers Be Required to Sign Up For Medicare?
- Are You Worried That There Will Be a Shortage of Medicare Doctors?
- Do You Currently Have Health Insurance?
Of those surveyed, the results found that:
- 35 percent believe that health care reform changes Medicare benefits negatively and 31 percent believe it changes Medicare positively
- 53 percent think that they will end up paying more in Medicare benefits than they will receive
- 48 percent believe that the Medicare program needs a complete overhaul
- 85 percent are worried that politicians will change their Medicare benefits
- 43 percent feel that consumers should be required to sign up for Medicare
- 61 percent are worried that there will be a shortage of Medicare doctors, and
- 63 percent currently have health insurance as opposed to 33 percent who do not
"As more adults are eligible for Medicare than ever before, due to the oldest members of the Baby Boomers turning 65 years old just last year, it's important that they have a full understanding of their eligibility, enrollment guidelines and when to enroll for Medicare benefits," said Mark Colwell, Manager of Consumer Marketing at GoHealth. "We administered this survey in order to provide a better understanding of people's thoughts concerning the current state of Medicare and how insurance companies and government programs may be able to help and further educate consumers."
For additional information regarding Medicare and health insurance educational resources, visit the GoHealth Media Center.
GoHealth and its customer-facing website GoHealthInsurance.com is a health insurance technology platform, working with over 100 health insurance carriers and more than 10,000 licensed agents across the United States. Since the company's founding in 2001, the GoHealth platform has helped nearly 30 million Americans shop and compare health insurance quotes.
5W Public Relations