|By ACN Newswire||
|November 27, 2012 04:14 AM EST||
- IWS to offer global investment opportunities and sustainability solutions for the business sector in the Middle East region
Abu Dhabi, Nov 27, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - With 40 per cent of the world predicted to live in water-scarce regions by 2025, the search for solutions will be a key priority for the inaugural International Water Summit in Abu Dhabi from 15-17 January 2013 where the world's foremost water experts will gather to share their insights with companies and government delegations.
The International Water Summit (IWS), hosted by Masdar, will bring together over 5,000 influential business leaders, policymakers and scientists to tackle the urgent challenges of wastewater and water access and security, including the water-energy nexus in arid regions. IWS will have Borouge-Borealis as a principal sponsor and the Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority as a strategic partner.
World-leading organizations that have already confirmed their participation are UN Habitat, the Global Water Operators' Partnership Alliance (GWOPA), UN Water, the International Desalination Association, the National Food Security Program of Qatar, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the Stockholm International Water Institute, the Public Utilities Board Singapore and the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association.
Also providing speakers for the International Water Summit are water solution innovators and developers such as Suez Environment, Veolia Water, CH2MHILL, NASA, Befesa Agua, the King Abdulla University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Xylem, Metito, Acciona Agua and Hyflux.
A steering committee consisting of senior representatives from the UAE Ministry of Water and Environment, Masdar, Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority, Environment Agency-Abu Dhabi, Regulation & Supervision Bureau and the Abu Dhabi Sewerage Service Company is guiding the International Water Summit, which is being held under the patronage of HH General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
Mohammad El-Ramahi, IWS Executive Steering Committee Secretary, Chairman of the Technical Committee and Head of Utilities, Engineering and Operation at Masdar, said the line-up of international and regional speakers reflects the water community's seriousness about finding solutions to the global water challenges, especially the water-energy nexus.
"Throughout the summit, we will be taking an international approach to meet the water challenges affecting arid regions, especially the Middle East, and we are pleased that Uschi Eid, Vice Chair of the UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water, will join IWS to address the urgent issue of water scarcity in Arab regions."
"Peter Forsmann, Chairman of the renowned Stockholm International Water Institute, will participate in a workshop about the future challenges affecting water availability which will identify and define the depletion, allocation and distribution challenges that arid regions face."
"In addition, Men Leong Chew, Chief Executive Officer of the Public Utilities Board Singapore, will offer his vast experience during the interactive panel discussion on sustainable growth and economic development in arid regions."
Mr El-Ramahi also confirmed that Lee McIntire, Chief Executive of CH2M HILL, will be on the panel discussing the topic of Water and Energy as a Catalyst to Regional Development and Sustainable Growth which will be moderated by Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President of the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association (ACWUA).
Another highlight of IWS will the panel discussion on cross boundary collaboration through international water governance.
"Joan Clos, Executive Director of UN Habitat, will join us for this forum which will closely look at the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) as a framework for analysis and comment on international water strategy and policy, and the effectiveness of collaboration to achieve water sustainability and to meet the global demand for potable water," said Mr El-Ramahi.
The International Water Summit (15 -17 January 2013) will be co-located with the World Future Energy Summit as part of Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week (13 - 17 January 2013).
Speakers at International Water Summit:
- Alex Katon, Executive Vice President of Strategy & Communications, IPR-GDF SUEZ Middle East, Turkey & Africa
- Alistair Munro, CEO / Managing Director, PROJECX
- Anthony Cox, Head of Division, Environment and Economy Integration OECD
- Asma El-Kasmi, UNESCO Chair Holder Water Women and Decision Power, UNESCO
- Bekele Debele Negewo, Water Resources Specialist, World Bank
- Bob Taylor, Business Development Director, Sembcorp
- Carl Ganter, Founder and Director, Circle of Blue
- Carlos Cosin, CEO, Befesa Agua
- Christoph Beier, Managing Director, German Tech.
- Colin J Hannan, Director of Special Projects-Water, Regulation & Supervision Bureau, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Diego Lucente, Expert Non Revenue Water, Suez Environment
- Dr. Ahmed Murad, Dr. Ahmed Ali Murad, Associate Professor Hydrogeology, Geology Department, UAE University
- Dr. Corrado Sommariva, Managing Director, ILF Middle East
- Dr. Graeme Pierce, Membrane Consultant
- Dr. Ilham Khadri, Executive, Dow Chemicals
- Dr. Thomas Missimer, Visiting Professor, KAUST
- Dr. Adil A. Bushnak, Chairman & CEO, Bushnak Group Saudi Arabia
- Dr. Farrukh Ahmad, Associate Professor Water and Environmental Engineering, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Hassan Fath, Professor, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Masaru Kurihara, President of Asia Pacific Desalination Association, (APDA), Director IDA, Senior Scientific Director, "Mega-ton Water System"
- Dr. Mohamed A. Dawoud, Water Resources Advisor, Environment Quality Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Director General, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Executive Director, Integrated Environment Policy and Planning Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Rabi Mohtar, Professor, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University Executive Director, Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute
- Dr. Rachel McDonnell, Water Policy and Governance, International Centre for Biosaline Agriculture
- Edwin Young, Programme Manager Estidama, Urban Planning Council Abu Dhabi
- Fady Juez, President, Metito
- Fahad Al-Attiya, Chairman, The National Food Security Program Qatar
- Faraj Al-Awar, Programme Director, GWOPA
- Gary Amy, Director - Water Desalination and Reuse Center, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
- Ghassan Ejjeh, Senior Vice President, Besix
- Harry Seah, CTO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Heather Cooley, Programme Co- Director, Pacific Institute
- Jesus Sancho, Director Middle East, Acciona Agua
- Joan Clos, Executive Director, UN Habitat
- Joppe Cramwinckel, Water Director, World Business Council on Sustainable Development
- Karl Rose, Director Policy & Scenarios, World Energy Council
- Khaldoun Kashman, Secretary General, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Lee McIntire, CEO, CH2MHILL
- Leon Awerbuch, President, LET
- Linda Macpherson, Vice President, CH2M HILL
- Majid Hasan Al Suwaidi, Lead Climate Change Negotiator, Directorate of Energy & Climate Change, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Malcolm Haddock, Planning and Forecasting Department Manager, ADSSC
- Mark Lane, Partner, Pinsent Masons
- Matthew Griffiths, Director Water Strategy & Reuse, RSB
- Men Leong Chew, CEO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Michel Canet, Executive Vice President, Veolia Water
- Miguel Angel Sanz, Director of Innovation Development, Degremont SA
- Mike Kuchenbrod, President Water Solutions, Xylem
- Mohamed Ait Kadi, Chairman, Global Water Partnership, Technical Committee
- Mohammad Al Hajjiri, Head of Water Forecast Section, ADWEC
- Mohammed Eid Obaid, Water O&M Division Manager, Al Ain Distribution Company
- Mohammed El Ramahi, Head of Utilities & Asset Management, Masdar
- Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Nancy E Barnes, VP Water Business Group, CH2MHILL
- Per Bertilsson, Acting Executive Director, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Forssman, Chairman, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Gleick, President, Pacific Institute
- Prof. Peter Werner, Dean, UAE University
- Robert Bradley, Senior Policy Advisor, Ministry of Foreign Affairs UAE
- Sam Ong, Group Deputy CEO, Hyflux
- Thomas Altmann, Executive Vice President, ILF
- Thorsteinn Gudnason, Managing Director, Aquaomnis
- Tom Soo, Executive Director, IWRA
- Tony Douglas, CEO, Abu Dhabi Ports Company
- Uschi Eid, Vice Chair, UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water
- Walid Saleh, Regional Coordinator, MENA The United Nations University - Institute for Water, Environment, & Heath (UNU-INWEH)
- Yasar Yakis, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey
- Dr. Kadri Ozen, Group Public Affairs Director, Coca-Cola Eurasia and Africa Group
- Bogachan Benli, Global Director, UNEP
- Dave Hillyard, Head of Major Partnerships, WaterAid
- Bert Diphoorn, Senior Advisor, Urban Basic Services, UN-Habitat
- Michel Jarraud, Chair, UN
About International Water Summit 2013
On January 18, 2012, His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, launched the International Water Summit as part of a far reaching sustainability vision aimed at ensuring the prosperity and welfare of mankind - not only in the United Arab Emirates, but across the world. His statement, "water is more important than oil for the UAE" was a bold and clear signal that an economy based on oil is placing water at the top of its agenda.
The inaugural International Water Summit will be hosted by Masdar and co-located with the World Future Energy Summit at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC), United Arab Emirates. The first International Water Summit will gather the leading minds from the global water community in policy, business and science to accelerate the development of sustainable water solutions for arid regions. This high-level platform offers you a unique opportunity to network with global politicians, water experts and leaders from the public and private sectors over three possibility-laden days. For more information, please visit http://iwsabudhabi.com.
Source: International Water Summit 2013
Shereen Al Sallak International Water Summit T: +971 2 491 7615 F: +971 2 491 7612 E: [email protected] W: www.internationalwatersummit.com
Copyright 2012 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
There are many considerations when moving applications from on-premise to cloud. It is critical to understand the benefits and also challenges of this migration. A successful migration will result in lower Total Cost of Ownership, yet offer the same or higher level of robustness. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Michael Meiner, an Engineering Director at Oracle, Corporation, will analyze a range of cloud offerings (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) and discuss the benefits/challenges of migrating to each of...
Mar. 2, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 458
Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) is a technology designed to make DevOps easier and allow developers to focus on application development. The PaaS takes care of provisioning, scaling, HA, and other cloud management aspects. Apache Stratos is a PaaS codebase developed in Apache and designed to create a highly productive developer environment while also supporting powerful deployment options. Integration with the Docker platform, CoreOS Linux distribution, and Kubernetes container management system ...
Mar. 2, 2015 05:45 PM EST Reads: 415
Cloud data governance was previously an avoided function when cloud deployments were relatively small. With the rapid adoption in public cloud – both rogue and sanctioned, it’s not uncommon to find regulated data dumped into public cloud and unprotected. This is why enterprises and cloud providers alike need to embrace a cloud data governance function and map policies, processes and technology controls accordingly. In her session at 15th Cloud Expo, Evelyn de Souza, Data Privacy and Compliance...
Mar. 2, 2015 05:30 PM EST Reads: 435
VictorOps is making on-call suck less with the only collaborative alert management platform on the market. With easy on-call scheduling management, a real-time incident timeline that gives you contextual relevance around your alerts and powerful reporting features that make post-mortems more effective, VictorOps helps your IT/DevOps team solve problems faster.
Mar. 2, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,280
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch ...
Mar. 2, 2015 04:45 PM EST Reads: 648
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, will discuss why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices ra...
Mar. 2, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,498
Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, had reached 30,000 page views on his home page - http://RobertoMedrano.SYS-CON.com/ - on the SYS-CON family of online magazines, which includes Cloud Computing Journal, Internet of Things Journal, Big Data Journal, and SOA World Magazine. He is a recognized executive in the information technology fields of SOA, internet security, governance, and compliance. He has extensive experience with both start-ups and large companies, having been ...
Mar. 2, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,326
HP and Aruba Networks on Monday announced a definitive agreement for HP to acquire Aruba, a provider of next-generation network access solutions for the mobile enterprise, for $24.67 per share in cash. The equity value of the transaction is approximately $3.0 billion, and net of cash and debt approximately $2.7 billion. Both companies' boards of directors have approved the deal. "Enterprises are facing a mobile-first world and are looking for solutions that help them transition legacy investme...
Mar. 2, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 659
The industrial software market has treated data with the mentality of “collect everything now, worry about how to use it later.” We now find ourselves buried in data, with the pervasive connectivity of the (Industrial) Internet of Things only piling on more numbers. There’s too much data and not enough information. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Bob Gates, Global Marketing Director, GE’s Intelligent Platforms business, to discuss how realizing the power of IoT, software developers are now focu...
Mar. 2, 2015 03:15 PM EST Reads: 1,437
Operational Hadoop and the Lambda Architecture for Streaming Data Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing...
Mar. 2, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,412
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes ...
Mar. 2, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,278
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Mar. 2, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 1,201
SYS-CON Events announced today Arista Networks will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Arista Networks was founded to deliver software-driven cloud networking solutions for large data center and computing environments. Arista’s award-winning 10/40/100GbE switches redefine scalability, robustness, and price-performance, with over 3,000 customers and more than three million cloud networking ports depl...
Mar. 2, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,592
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, will explain the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is r...
Mar. 2, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,267
Application metrics, logs, and business KPIs are a goldmine. It’s easy to get started with the ELK stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana) – you can see lots of people coming up with impressive dashboards, in less than a day, with no previous experience. Going from proof-of-concept to production tends to be a bit more difficult, unfortunately, and it tends to gobble up our attention, time, and money. In his session at DevOps Summit, Otis Gospodnetić, co-author of Lucene in Action and founder...
Mar. 2, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,350