|By ACN Newswire||
|November 27, 2012 04:14 AM EST||
- IWS to offer global investment opportunities and sustainability solutions for the business sector in the Middle East region
Abu Dhabi, Nov 27, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - With 40 per cent of the world predicted to live in water-scarce regions by 2025, the search for solutions will be a key priority for the inaugural International Water Summit in Abu Dhabi from 15-17 January 2013 where the world's foremost water experts will gather to share their insights with companies and government delegations.
The International Water Summit (IWS), hosted by Masdar, will bring together over 5,000 influential business leaders, policymakers and scientists to tackle the urgent challenges of wastewater and water access and security, including the water-energy nexus in arid regions. IWS will have Borouge-Borealis as a principal sponsor and the Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority as a strategic partner.
World-leading organizations that have already confirmed their participation are UN Habitat, the Global Water Operators' Partnership Alliance (GWOPA), UN Water, the International Desalination Association, the National Food Security Program of Qatar, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the Stockholm International Water Institute, the Public Utilities Board Singapore and the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association.
Also providing speakers for the International Water Summit are water solution innovators and developers such as Suez Environment, Veolia Water, CH2MHILL, NASA, Befesa Agua, the King Abdulla University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Xylem, Metito, Acciona Agua and Hyflux.
A steering committee consisting of senior representatives from the UAE Ministry of Water and Environment, Masdar, Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority, Environment Agency-Abu Dhabi, Regulation & Supervision Bureau and the Abu Dhabi Sewerage Service Company is guiding the International Water Summit, which is being held under the patronage of HH General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
Mohammad El-Ramahi, IWS Executive Steering Committee Secretary, Chairman of the Technical Committee and Head of Utilities, Engineering and Operation at Masdar, said the line-up of international and regional speakers reflects the water community's seriousness about finding solutions to the global water challenges, especially the water-energy nexus.
"Throughout the summit, we will be taking an international approach to meet the water challenges affecting arid regions, especially the Middle East, and we are pleased that Uschi Eid, Vice Chair of the UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water, will join IWS to address the urgent issue of water scarcity in Arab regions."
"Peter Forsmann, Chairman of the renowned Stockholm International Water Institute, will participate in a workshop about the future challenges affecting water availability which will identify and define the depletion, allocation and distribution challenges that arid regions face."
"In addition, Men Leong Chew, Chief Executive Officer of the Public Utilities Board Singapore, will offer his vast experience during the interactive panel discussion on sustainable growth and economic development in arid regions."
Mr El-Ramahi also confirmed that Lee McIntire, Chief Executive of CH2M HILL, will be on the panel discussing the topic of Water and Energy as a Catalyst to Regional Development and Sustainable Growth which will be moderated by Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President of the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association (ACWUA).
Another highlight of IWS will the panel discussion on cross boundary collaboration through international water governance.
"Joan Clos, Executive Director of UN Habitat, will join us for this forum which will closely look at the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) as a framework for analysis and comment on international water strategy and policy, and the effectiveness of collaboration to achieve water sustainability and to meet the global demand for potable water," said Mr El-Ramahi.
The International Water Summit (15 -17 January 2013) will be co-located with the World Future Energy Summit as part of Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week (13 - 17 January 2013).
Speakers at International Water Summit:
- Alex Katon, Executive Vice President of Strategy & Communications, IPR-GDF SUEZ Middle East, Turkey & Africa
- Alistair Munro, CEO / Managing Director, PROJECX
- Anthony Cox, Head of Division, Environment and Economy Integration OECD
- Asma El-Kasmi, UNESCO Chair Holder Water Women and Decision Power, UNESCO
- Bekele Debele Negewo, Water Resources Specialist, World Bank
- Bob Taylor, Business Development Director, Sembcorp
- Carl Ganter, Founder and Director, Circle of Blue
- Carlos Cosin, CEO, Befesa Agua
- Christoph Beier, Managing Director, German Tech.
- Colin J Hannan, Director of Special Projects-Water, Regulation & Supervision Bureau, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Diego Lucente, Expert Non Revenue Water, Suez Environment
- Dr. Ahmed Murad, Dr. Ahmed Ali Murad, Associate Professor Hydrogeology, Geology Department, UAE University
- Dr. Corrado Sommariva, Managing Director, ILF Middle East
- Dr. Graeme Pierce, Membrane Consultant
- Dr. Ilham Khadri, Executive, Dow Chemicals
- Dr. Thomas Missimer, Visiting Professor, KAUST
- Dr. Adil A. Bushnak, Chairman & CEO, Bushnak Group Saudi Arabia
- Dr. Farrukh Ahmad, Associate Professor Water and Environmental Engineering, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Hassan Fath, Professor, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Masaru Kurihara, President of Asia Pacific Desalination Association, (APDA), Director IDA, Senior Scientific Director, "Mega-ton Water System"
- Dr. Mohamed A. Dawoud, Water Resources Advisor, Environment Quality Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Director General, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Executive Director, Integrated Environment Policy and Planning Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Rabi Mohtar, Professor, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University Executive Director, Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute
- Dr. Rachel McDonnell, Water Policy and Governance, International Centre for Biosaline Agriculture
- Edwin Young, Programme Manager Estidama, Urban Planning Council Abu Dhabi
- Fady Juez, President, Metito
- Fahad Al-Attiya, Chairman, The National Food Security Program Qatar
- Faraj Al-Awar, Programme Director, GWOPA
- Gary Amy, Director - Water Desalination and Reuse Center, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
- Ghassan Ejjeh, Senior Vice President, Besix
- Harry Seah, CTO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Heather Cooley, Programme Co- Director, Pacific Institute
- Jesus Sancho, Director Middle East, Acciona Agua
- Joan Clos, Executive Director, UN Habitat
- Joppe Cramwinckel, Water Director, World Business Council on Sustainable Development
- Karl Rose, Director Policy & Scenarios, World Energy Council
- Khaldoun Kashman, Secretary General, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Lee McIntire, CEO, CH2MHILL
- Leon Awerbuch, President, LET
- Linda Macpherson, Vice President, CH2M HILL
- Majid Hasan Al Suwaidi, Lead Climate Change Negotiator, Directorate of Energy & Climate Change, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Malcolm Haddock, Planning and Forecasting Department Manager, ADSSC
- Mark Lane, Partner, Pinsent Masons
- Matthew Griffiths, Director Water Strategy & Reuse, RSB
- Men Leong Chew, CEO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Michel Canet, Executive Vice President, Veolia Water
- Miguel Angel Sanz, Director of Innovation Development, Degremont SA
- Mike Kuchenbrod, President Water Solutions, Xylem
- Mohamed Ait Kadi, Chairman, Global Water Partnership, Technical Committee
- Mohammad Al Hajjiri, Head of Water Forecast Section, ADWEC
- Mohammed Eid Obaid, Water O&M Division Manager, Al Ain Distribution Company
- Mohammed El Ramahi, Head of Utilities & Asset Management, Masdar
- Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Nancy E Barnes, VP Water Business Group, CH2MHILL
- Per Bertilsson, Acting Executive Director, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Forssman, Chairman, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Gleick, President, Pacific Institute
- Prof. Peter Werner, Dean, UAE University
- Robert Bradley, Senior Policy Advisor, Ministry of Foreign Affairs UAE
- Sam Ong, Group Deputy CEO, Hyflux
- Thomas Altmann, Executive Vice President, ILF
- Thorsteinn Gudnason, Managing Director, Aquaomnis
- Tom Soo, Executive Director, IWRA
- Tony Douglas, CEO, Abu Dhabi Ports Company
- Uschi Eid, Vice Chair, UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water
- Walid Saleh, Regional Coordinator, MENA The United Nations University - Institute for Water, Environment, & Heath (UNU-INWEH)
- Yasar Yakis, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey
- Dr. Kadri Ozen, Group Public Affairs Director, Coca-Cola Eurasia and Africa Group
- Bogachan Benli, Global Director, UNEP
- Dave Hillyard, Head of Major Partnerships, WaterAid
- Bert Diphoorn, Senior Advisor, Urban Basic Services, UN-Habitat
- Michel Jarraud, Chair, UN
About International Water Summit 2013
On January 18, 2012, His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, launched the International Water Summit as part of a far reaching sustainability vision aimed at ensuring the prosperity and welfare of mankind - not only in the United Arab Emirates, but across the world. His statement, "water is more important than oil for the UAE" was a bold and clear signal that an economy based on oil is placing water at the top of its agenda.
The inaugural International Water Summit will be hosted by Masdar and co-located with the World Future Energy Summit at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC), United Arab Emirates. The first International Water Summit will gather the leading minds from the global water community in policy, business and science to accelerate the development of sustainable water solutions for arid regions. This high-level platform offers you a unique opportunity to network with global politicians, water experts and leaders from the public and private sectors over three possibility-laden days. For more information, please visit http://iwsabudhabi.com.
Source: International Water Summit 2013
Shereen Al Sallak International Water Summit T: +971 2 491 7615 F: +971 2 491 7612 E: [email protected] W: www.internationalwatersummit.com
Copyright 2012 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
So I guess we’ve officially entered a new era of lean and mean. I say this with the announcement of Ubuntu Snappy Core, “designed for lightweight cloud container hosts running Docker and for smart devices,” according to Canonical. “Snappy Ubuntu Core is the smallest Ubuntu available, designed for security and efficiency in devices or on the cloud.” This first version of Snappy Ubuntu Core features secure app containment and Docker 1.6 (1.5 in main release), is available on public clouds, ...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,438
How do you securely enable access to your applications in AWS without exposing any attack surfaces? The answer is usually very complicated because application environments morph over time in response to growing requirements from your employee base, your partners and your customers. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Haseeb Budhani, CEO and Co-founder of Soha, will share five common approaches that DevOps teams follow to secure access to applications deployed in AWS, Azure, etc., and the frict...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,704
While DevOps most critically and famously fosters collaboration, communication, and integration through cultural change, culture is more of an output than an input. In order to actively drive cultural evolution, organizations must make substantial organizational and process changes, and adopt new technologies, to encourage a DevOps culture. Moderated by Andi Mann, panelists will discuss how to balance these three pillars of DevOps, where to focus attention (and resources), where organizations m...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,105
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Ras...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,072
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, will discuss how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,009
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,231
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies, a global technology solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a leader in application performance and infrastructure management for commercial and federal markets. The company is headquartered in the United States, with a diverse and talented team of more than 350 employees around th...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,829
Deploying and operating cloud technology is difficult and falls outside the core competencies of most organizations. As a result, many on-premises private cloud installations falter, casting doubt on private cloud as a solution in general. Yet private clouds come with a unique set of benefits that continue to drive widespread interest. There must be a better way. This session will give participants a clear roadmap of private cloud implementation challenges and offer actionable ideas for...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,257
Database apps on mobile devices shouldn't stop working when there's limited or no network connectivity. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, a Developer Advocate for IBM Cloudant, will discuss how to bring data stored in a cloud database to the edge of the network (and back again), whenever an Internet connection is available. He will demonstrate techniques for replicating cloud databases with mobile devices in order to build offline-enabled mobile apps that can provide a better,...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that the DevOps Institute has been named “Association Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The DevOps Institute provides enterprise level training and certification. Working with thought leaders from the DevOps community, the IT Service Management field and the IT training market, the DevOps Institute is setting the standard in quality for DevOps education and training.
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,218
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? Join this panel of experts as they peel away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud environment, and we must architect and code accordingly. At the very least, you’ll have no problem filling in your buzzword bingo cards.
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,261
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what th...
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,252
SYS-CON Events announced today that CodeFutures, a leading supplier of database performance tools, has been named a “Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. CodeFutures is an independent software vendor focused on providing tools that deliver database performance tools that increase productivity during database development and increase database performance and scalability during production.
Apr. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,303
Docker, Inc., has been included in the list of "Cool Vendors" in the April 21, 2015 report by Gartner, Inc, Cool Vendors in DevOps, 2015. In the report, Gartner notes, “As virtualization and cloud applications grow beyond being single images run on premise to being comprised of multiple tiers that can be run and scaled in a hybrid cloud, new approaches are needed to reduce complexity.” “Docker has gained great traction within the developer community for how efficient it makes the individual de...
Apr. 28, 2015 09:27 AM EDT
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microser...
Apr. 28, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,456