|By ACN Newswire||
|November 27, 2012 04:14 AM EST||
- IWS to offer global investment opportunities and sustainability solutions for the business sector in the Middle East region
Abu Dhabi, Nov 27, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - With 40 per cent of the world predicted to live in water-scarce regions by 2025, the search for solutions will be a key priority for the inaugural International Water Summit in Abu Dhabi from 15-17 January 2013 where the world's foremost water experts will gather to share their insights with companies and government delegations.
The International Water Summit (IWS), hosted by Masdar, will bring together over 5,000 influential business leaders, policymakers and scientists to tackle the urgent challenges of wastewater and water access and security, including the water-energy nexus in arid regions. IWS will have Borouge-Borealis as a principal sponsor and the Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority as a strategic partner.
World-leading organizations that have already confirmed their participation are UN Habitat, the Global Water Operators' Partnership Alliance (GWOPA), UN Water, the International Desalination Association, the National Food Security Program of Qatar, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the Stockholm International Water Institute, the Public Utilities Board Singapore and the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association.
Also providing speakers for the International Water Summit are water solution innovators and developers such as Suez Environment, Veolia Water, CH2MHILL, NASA, Befesa Agua, the King Abdulla University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Xylem, Metito, Acciona Agua and Hyflux.
A steering committee consisting of senior representatives from the UAE Ministry of Water and Environment, Masdar, Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority, Environment Agency-Abu Dhabi, Regulation & Supervision Bureau and the Abu Dhabi Sewerage Service Company is guiding the International Water Summit, which is being held under the patronage of HH General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
Mohammad El-Ramahi, IWS Executive Steering Committee Secretary, Chairman of the Technical Committee and Head of Utilities, Engineering and Operation at Masdar, said the line-up of international and regional speakers reflects the water community's seriousness about finding solutions to the global water challenges, especially the water-energy nexus.
"Throughout the summit, we will be taking an international approach to meet the water challenges affecting arid regions, especially the Middle East, and we are pleased that Uschi Eid, Vice Chair of the UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water, will join IWS to address the urgent issue of water scarcity in Arab regions."
"Peter Forsmann, Chairman of the renowned Stockholm International Water Institute, will participate in a workshop about the future challenges affecting water availability which will identify and define the depletion, allocation and distribution challenges that arid regions face."
"In addition, Men Leong Chew, Chief Executive Officer of the Public Utilities Board Singapore, will offer his vast experience during the interactive panel discussion on sustainable growth and economic development in arid regions."
Mr El-Ramahi also confirmed that Lee McIntire, Chief Executive of CH2M HILL, will be on the panel discussing the topic of Water and Energy as a Catalyst to Regional Development and Sustainable Growth which will be moderated by Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President of the Arab Countries Water Utilities Association (ACWUA).
Another highlight of IWS will the panel discussion on cross boundary collaboration through international water governance.
"Joan Clos, Executive Director of UN Habitat, will join us for this forum which will closely look at the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) as a framework for analysis and comment on international water strategy and policy, and the effectiveness of collaboration to achieve water sustainability and to meet the global demand for potable water," said Mr El-Ramahi.
The International Water Summit (15 -17 January 2013) will be co-located with the World Future Energy Summit as part of Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week (13 - 17 January 2013).
Speakers at International Water Summit:
- Alex Katon, Executive Vice President of Strategy & Communications, IPR-GDF SUEZ Middle East, Turkey & Africa
- Alistair Munro, CEO / Managing Director, PROJECX
- Anthony Cox, Head of Division, Environment and Economy Integration OECD
- Asma El-Kasmi, UNESCO Chair Holder Water Women and Decision Power, UNESCO
- Bekele Debele Negewo, Water Resources Specialist, World Bank
- Bob Taylor, Business Development Director, Sembcorp
- Carl Ganter, Founder and Director, Circle of Blue
- Carlos Cosin, CEO, Befesa Agua
- Christoph Beier, Managing Director, German Tech.
- Colin J Hannan, Director of Special Projects-Water, Regulation & Supervision Bureau, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Diego Lucente, Expert Non Revenue Water, Suez Environment
- Dr. Ahmed Murad, Dr. Ahmed Ali Murad, Associate Professor Hydrogeology, Geology Department, UAE University
- Dr. Corrado Sommariva, Managing Director, ILF Middle East
- Dr. Graeme Pierce, Membrane Consultant
- Dr. Ilham Khadri, Executive, Dow Chemicals
- Dr. Thomas Missimer, Visiting Professor, KAUST
- Dr. Adil A. Bushnak, Chairman & CEO, Bushnak Group Saudi Arabia
- Dr. Farrukh Ahmad, Associate Professor Water and Environmental Engineering, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Hassan Fath, Professor, Masdar Institute
- Dr. Masaru Kurihara, President of Asia Pacific Desalination Association, (APDA), Director IDA, Senior Scientific Director, "Mega-ton Water System"
- Dr. Mohamed A. Dawoud, Water Resources Advisor, Environment Quality Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Director General, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Mohamed Yousef Al Madfaei, Executive Director, Integrated Environment Policy and Planning Sector, Environment Agency Abu Dhabi
- Dr. Rabi Mohtar, Professor, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University Executive Director, Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute
- Dr. Rachel McDonnell, Water Policy and Governance, International Centre for Biosaline Agriculture
- Edwin Young, Programme Manager Estidama, Urban Planning Council Abu Dhabi
- Fady Juez, President, Metito
- Fahad Al-Attiya, Chairman, The National Food Security Program Qatar
- Faraj Al-Awar, Programme Director, GWOPA
- Gary Amy, Director - Water Desalination and Reuse Center, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
- Ghassan Ejjeh, Senior Vice President, Besix
- Harry Seah, CTO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Heather Cooley, Programme Co- Director, Pacific Institute
- Jesus Sancho, Director Middle East, Acciona Agua
- Joan Clos, Executive Director, UN Habitat
- Joppe Cramwinckel, Water Director, World Business Council on Sustainable Development
- Karl Rose, Director Policy & Scenarios, World Energy Council
- Khaldoun Kashman, Secretary General, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Lee McIntire, CEO, CH2MHILL
- Leon Awerbuch, President, LET
- Linda Macpherson, Vice President, CH2M HILL
- Majid Hasan Al Suwaidi, Lead Climate Change Negotiator, Directorate of Energy & Climate Change, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Malcolm Haddock, Planning and Forecasting Department Manager, ADSSC
- Mark Lane, Partner, Pinsent Masons
- Matthew Griffiths, Director Water Strategy & Reuse, RSB
- Men Leong Chew, CEO, Public Utilities Board Singapore
- Michel Canet, Executive Vice President, Veolia Water
- Miguel Angel Sanz, Director of Innovation Development, Degremont SA
- Mike Kuchenbrod, President Water Solutions, Xylem
- Mohamed Ait Kadi, Chairman, Global Water Partnership, Technical Committee
- Mohammad Al Hajjiri, Head of Water Forecast Section, ADWEC
- Mohammed Eid Obaid, Water O&M Division Manager, Al Ain Distribution Company
- Mohammed El Ramahi, Head of Utilities & Asset Management, Masdar
- Mohamoud Abu-Zeid, President, Arab Countries Water Utilities Association
- Nancy E Barnes, VP Water Business Group, CH2MHILL
- Per Bertilsson, Acting Executive Director, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Forssman, Chairman, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI)
- Peter Gleick, President, Pacific Institute
- Prof. Peter Werner, Dean, UAE University
- Robert Bradley, Senior Policy Advisor, Ministry of Foreign Affairs UAE
- Sam Ong, Group Deputy CEO, Hyflux
- Thomas Altmann, Executive Vice President, ILF
- Thorsteinn Gudnason, Managing Director, Aquaomnis
- Tom Soo, Executive Director, IWRA
- Tony Douglas, CEO, Abu Dhabi Ports Company
- Uschi Eid, Vice Chair, UN Secretary Generals Advisory Board on Water
- Walid Saleh, Regional Coordinator, MENA The United Nations University - Institute for Water, Environment, & Heath (UNU-INWEH)
- Yasar Yakis, Former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey
- Dr. Kadri Ozen, Group Public Affairs Director, Coca-Cola Eurasia and Africa Group
- Bogachan Benli, Global Director, UNEP
- Dave Hillyard, Head of Major Partnerships, WaterAid
- Bert Diphoorn, Senior Advisor, Urban Basic Services, UN-Habitat
- Michel Jarraud, Chair, UN
About International Water Summit 2013
On January 18, 2012, His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, launched the International Water Summit as part of a far reaching sustainability vision aimed at ensuring the prosperity and welfare of mankind - not only in the United Arab Emirates, but across the world. His statement, "water is more important than oil for the UAE" was a bold and clear signal that an economy based on oil is placing water at the top of its agenda.
The inaugural International Water Summit will be hosted by Masdar and co-located with the World Future Energy Summit at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (ADNEC), United Arab Emirates. The first International Water Summit will gather the leading minds from the global water community in policy, business and science to accelerate the development of sustainable water solutions for arid regions. This high-level platform offers you a unique opportunity to network with global politicians, water experts and leaders from the public and private sectors over three possibility-laden days. For more information, please visit http://iwsabudhabi.com.
Source: International Water Summit 2013
Shereen Al Sallak International Water Summit T: +971 2 491 7615 F: +971 2 491 7612 E: [email protected] W: www.internationalwatersummit.com
Copyright 2012 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
High-performing enterprise Software Quality Assurance (SQA) teams validate systems that are ready for use - getting most actively involved as components integrate and form complete systems. These teams catch and report on defects, making sure the customer gets the best software possible. SQA teams have leveraged automation and virtualization to execute more thorough testing in less time - bringing Dev and Ops together, ensuring production readiness. Does the emergence of DevOps mean the end of E...
Nov. 25, 2014 10:00 PM EST Reads: 777
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using ...
Nov. 25, 2014 09:30 PM EST Reads: 901
The Internet of Things is tied together with a thin strand that is known as time. Coincidentally, at the core of nearly all data analytics is a timestamp. When working with time series data there are a few core principles that everyone should consider, especially across datasets where time is the common boundary. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy & Architecture at MapR Technologies, discussed single-value, geo-spatial, and log time series dat...
Nov. 25, 2014 09:30 PM EST Reads: 942
"Verizon offers public cloud, virtual private cloud as well as private cloud on-premises - many different alternatives. Verizon's deep knowledge in applications and the fact that we are responsible for applications that make call outs to other systems. Those systems and those resources may not be in Verizon Cloud, we understand at the end of the day it's going to be federated," explained Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing at Verizon Enterprise, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at...
Nov. 25, 2014 09:00 PM EST Reads: 1,186
"For the past 4 years we have been working mainly to export. For the last 3 or 4 years the main market was Russia. In the past year we have been working to expand our footprint in Europe and the United States," explained Andris Gailitis, CEO of DEAC, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 25, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 875
P2P RTC will impact the landscape of communications, shifting from traditional telephony style communications models to OTT (Over-The-Top) cloud assisted & PaaS (Platform as a Service) communication services. The P2P shift will impact many areas of our lives, from mobile communication, human interactive web services, RTC and telephony infrastructure, user federation, security and privacy implications, business costs, and scalability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robin Raymond, Chief Architect...
Nov. 25, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,306
The term culture has had a polarizing effect among DevOps supporters. Some propose that culture change is critical for success with DevOps, but are remiss to define culture. Some talk about a DevOps culture but then reference activities that could lead to culture change and there are those that talk about culture change as a set of behaviors that need to be adopted by those in IT. There is no question that businesses successful in adopting a DevOps mindset have seen departmental culture change, ...
Nov. 25, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 775
The Domain Name Service (DNS) is one of the most important components in networking infrastructure, enabling users and services to access applications by translating URLs (names) into IP addresses (numbers). Because every icon and URL and all embedded content on a website requires a DNS lookup loading complex sites necessitates hundreds of DNS queries. In addition, as more internet-enabled ‘Things' get connected, people will rely on DNS to name and find their fridges, toasters and toilets. Acco...
Nov. 25, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,098
"Cloud consumption is something we envision at Solgenia. That is trying to let the cloud spread to the user as a consumption, as utility computing. We want to allow the people to just pay for what they use, not a subscription model," explained Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 25, 2014 06:15 PM EST Reads: 788
Enthusiasm for the Internet of Things has reached an all-time high. In 2013 alone, venture capitalists spent more than $1 billion dollars investing in the IoT space. With "smart" appliances and devices, IoT covers wearable smart devices, cloud services to hardware companies. Nest, a Google company, detects temperatures inside homes and automatically adjusts it by tracking its user's habit. These technologies are quickly developing and with it come challenges such as bridging infrastructure gaps,...
Nov. 25, 2014 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,165
SYS-CON Media announced that Centrify, a provider of unified identity management across cloud, mobile and data center environments that delivers single sign-on (SSO) for users and a simplified identity infrastructure for IT, has launched an ad campaign on Cloud Computing Journal. The ads focus on security: how an organization can successfully control privilege for all of the organization’s identities to mitigate identity-related risk without slowing down the business, and how Centrify provides ...
Nov. 24, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,110
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, discussed how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP HANA...
Nov. 24, 2014 09:30 PM EST Reads: 1,107
"SAP had made a big transition into the cloud as we believe it has significant value for our customers, drives innovation and is easy to consume. When you look at the SAP portfolio, SAP HANA is the underlying platform and it powers all of our platforms and all of our analytics," explained Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce at SAP, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 24, 2014 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,112
"We help companies that are using a lot of Software as a Service. We help companies manage and gain visibility into what people are using inside the company and decide to secure them or use standards to lock down or to embrace the adoption of SaaS inside the company," explained Scott Kriz, Co-founder and CEO of Bitium, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 24, 2014 07:15 PM EST Reads: 1,049
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
Nov. 24, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,562