|By PR Newswire||
|November 30, 2012 03:01 AM EST||
LONDON, November 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
With temperatures expected to fall below freezing across many parts of the UK, PetNet, which is supported by the British Veterinary Association, is urging pet owners to be aware of the huge risks associated with antifreeze.
Antifreeze (containing Ethylene Glycol), commonly used in radiators and some screen washes, can make its way into puddles. Unfortunately dogs and cats like drinking from standing water and if the water is contaminated it will be appealingly sweet. The lethal dose is only the equivalent of a 6ml teaspoon.
Lisa Robb, Head of Digital and Content at PetNet, adds: "We have read many reports from our community of pet owners that their dogs and cats have been poisoned by antifreeze so we are keen to raise awareness. Prevention is key and we hope that the top tips from PetNet vets, summarised below and all found at http://www.petnet.co.uk, will help."
- Ideally replace your antifreeze for one containing Propylene Glycol
- However, if you do keep antifreeze containing the toxic Ethylene Glycol then:
- Store it very carefully away from pets reach
- If it spills clear away immediately and keep pets away
- If you have an ornamental garden pond don't add antifreeze
HOW TO SPOT SIGNS
- The first sign is wobbliness or falling over (as if drunk)
- Painful back and kidney area
- Vomiting and huge thirst
Lisa Robb concludes: "If any owner is concerned that their pet has been poisoned, call a vet immediately. Unfortunately the survival rate is low if kidneys have been damaged so it is incredibly important to take preventative steps. We urge pet owners to look for safe alternatives such as Propylene Glycol antifreeze."
Notes to Editors
PetNet is a busy online community for pet owners with two website zones - Park Bench for dogs and Scratching Post for cats and on average 80,000 owners visit the site every month for advice. PetNet also has facebook pages with the same names, which have 85,000 highly engaged fans.