|By PR Newswire||
|December 3, 2012 10:51 AM EST|
BETHESDA, Md., Dec. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- If Santa didn't have his own private sleigh to fly, he would probably choose to drive this holiday season. Imagine the hassle for Santa to take off his belt and boots in an airport security line, and how much he would have to pay for extra baggage fees.
"With airfares soaring, more people are realizing that the benefits of driving during the holiday season far outweigh the hassle of airline travel," said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council. "It is much less expensive to drive; you can control your arrival and departure, and you can fill your sleigh – I mean trunk -- with as many bags as you want without getting charged."
According to a story in USA Today, holiday air travelers can expect to spend about 8 percent more than last year flying to popular destinations, while some airline tickets could soar to as much as 27 percent higher than last year. Meanwhile, a family of four can travel 1,000 miles round-trip by car for about the cost of one airline ticket.
In addition to the obvious direct cost savings, going by car offers a number of advantages over flying including:
- Pack whatever and as much as you want, including wrapped gifts.
- Leave when you want from where you want.
- No airport parking.
- No waiting in long ticket counter and security lines.
- No weather delays.
- Stop and stretch any time.
- More and better meal options.
- No rental car or taxi expenses.
- More legroom and overall comfort.
- No strangers sitting next to you.
- Convenience and ease of taking your pet with you.
- Better able to enjoy the ride.
The Car Care Council is the source of information for the "Be Car Care Aware" consumer education campaign promoting the benefits of regular vehicle care, maintenance and repair to consumers. For a copy of the council's Car Care Guide or for more information, visit www.carcare.org.
SOURCE Car Care Council