|By PR Newswire||
|December 6, 2012 08:31 AM EST|
InCharge Debt Solutions offers tips on how to have a frugal, yet fun holiday
ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As each year comes to a close, retailers and credit counseling experts battle to convince consumers they have the formula for a happy holiday season. One spends millions of advertising dollars contending that expensive presents and lavish celebrations are what makes holidays fun, while the other hits the airwaves with lists of ways to enjoy friends and family on a budget.
"History shows that Americans will add more than $2 billion to their credit card debt this holiday season, but this time of year doesn't have to be a 'budget-buster' to be enjoyed," said Etta Money, President of InCharge Debt Solutions. "To prove the point, we released a holiday survival guide to having a frugal, yet fun holiday. The guide includes our 101 tips to saving money during the holidays, as well as a holiday budget template and many other great ideas and tools."
For those who don't want to start 2013 off with credit card debt, InCharge has several tips for holiday revelers:
- Plan ahead – put together a holiday budget that includes gift purchases, travel, food, and decorations. Stick to it and don't take more cash to the store than you planned.
- Shop online – lower prices, ability to shop around, free shipping, and delivery to the doorstep are all available without spending a dime on gasoline for the car.
- Create family traditions – hot chocolate and candy canes served by Mom or Dad dressed as a holiday character are inexpensive, yet fun and memorable ways to celebrate.
- Cut the list – consider paring your gift list down to those who are closest to you, and spend the time to write a sincere, handwritten message in a card for others.
- Travel on a budget – being flexible on departure/arrival times and dates, airports, layovers and stops can save hundreds of dollars on airfare, and shop early!
InCharge Debt Solutions' frugal, fun and festive web page chocked full of tips and tools is available at www.InCharge.org/holiday.
InCharge Debt Solutions provides an array of certified counseling services including an alternative to debt consolidation that allows consumers to consolidate credit card bills into one monthly payment, pay debt off faster, lower interest rates regardless of credit score, stop collection calls, eliminate late fees and build a budget and financial plan to follow:
- Bankruptcy Education and Counseling: Take required pre-filing and pre-discharge courses and receive counseling from certified staff. Call 866-729-0049.
- Credit Counseling: Certified credit counselors give free, confidential counseling (online or by phone) and offer an alternative to debt consolidation through debt management programs and free budgeting assistance. Call 877-486-4924.
- Housing Counseling Services: Get help with HUD-approved foreclosure prevention, first-time homebuyer education and free counseling. Call 877-251-1882.
- Servicemember Help: Specialized help for military families facing financial difficulty. Call 877-258-9549.
- Online Counseling: Free, comprehensive web counseling provides budget building tool, analysis and available solutions from your computer. Visit: www.incharge.org.
About InCharge® Debt Solutions
Founded in 1997, InCharge® Debt Solutions is a leading 501(c)(3) non-profit, community-service organization offering confidential and professional credit counseling, housing counseling, debt management, bankruptcy education and general financial education to individuals seeking options to manage credit card debt and consolidate debt payment. The company, accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA) and a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC), interacted with over 1.1 million consumers in 2011. InCharge is affiliated with InCharge® Education Foundation, Inc. (ICEF) which is dedicated to providing educational products, services and research supporting the personal financial literacy of consumers across America. ICEF also provides financial literacy training to servicemembers and their families through MilitaryMoney.com.
Contact: Media Relations
InCharge® Debt Solutions
SOURCE InCharge Debt Solutions