|By PR Newswire||
|December 12, 2012 01:18 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Dec. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Fifth Third Bank (Chicago) annual campaign entitled "Honoring Those Who Served," was a resounding success. The annual campaign was comprised of three components:
- The bank raised and donated a total of $100,000 to the Folds of Honor Foundation. For five weeks preceding Veterans Day (November 12), the bank raised funds to help this national non-profit that provides current and future use educational scholarships for the family members of wounded or lost soldiers.
- Employees from the bank volunteered time in service to those who serve. Many employees served meals at local veterans organizations, visited veterans hospitals and placed flags on the gravesites of local veterans on Veterans Day weekend.
- A large public event at Union Station known as the "Veterans Day of Appreciation" Rally. U.S., state and local elected officials participated and/or spoke at the event, including U.S. Senator Richard Durbin, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, U.S. Navy Rear Admiral David F. Steindl, Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle and State Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka. At this event the following activities occurred:
- Bank employees spent the day assembling 1,530 care packages under the mentorship of the Heart of a Marine Foundation. The packages were sent to Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard troops in Afghanistan. The public visited the event throughout the day and wrote personal notes of support for the troops that were included in the care packages.
- Pritzker Military Museum showcased exhibits of real-life military artifacts.
- War Dogs Making It Home, a Chicago area non-profit, shared news about its program of rescuing local dogs from "high-kill" animal shelters and training them to become certified emotional support dogs, and pairing them with area veterans suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and/or traumatic brain injury.
- Ongoing musical performances on the event's main stage featuring area high schools, ROTC units, and even sixth season "American Idol" alumnus, Gina Glocksen.
Media Contact: Andrew Hayes, 312-823-4333
SOURCE Fifth Third Bank (Chicago)