|By PR Newswire||
|December 26, 2012 10:22 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Dec. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Farragut Square Group, a leading national health care policy research firm, today named the five top health care policy developments for the year 2012.
"The year 2012 will go down in history as one of the most important for health care policy because of the legal and political decisions that insured the historic - and controversial - Affordable Care Act or "ObamaCare" will actually become law," said Farragut Square Group President Brian Fortune. "It also set the stage for major budget battles that will significantly impact health care funding and fundamental health care reforms into the future."
Farragut's top five health care policy developments for 2012 include:
- The Supreme Court Decision Upholding the Affordable Care Act. While the Court technically threw out the concept of an individual mandate, Justice Robert's opinion determined the ACA's mandate penalty is really a tax, leaving the ACA in place as the law of the land.
- President Obama's Reelection. The President's reelection guarantees that while there will continue to be wrangling over the ACA on Capitol Hill, any efforts to repeal fundamental parts of the law will blocked by a presidential veto.
- The Supreme Court Decision Making Medicaid Expansion Optional for States. The Court dramatically increased the role of the states in shaping the ACA's expansion of health coverage for low income adults. Given Democrats control the White House while Republican Governors preside over 30 states, this decision will create intense negotiations over the ACA for years to come.
- The Fiscal Cliff. While most of the fiscal cliff debate has focused mainly on tax revenues, there are hundreds of millions of dollars in potential Medicare & Medicaid cuts at stake, along with proposals for fundamental reforms such as raising the Medicare eligibility age.
- Defusing the "Third Rail" of Medicare Reform. The 2012 election was a breakthrough politically in that the debate over retiree health care became more about how to fix Medicare than whether it should be changed. This represents a major political shift that opens the door to more debate over containing the growing cost of Medicare.
The Farragut Square Group is a leading national health policy research firm that serves many of the top investment funds in the U.S. today.
Contact: Darrell McKigney
SOURCE Farragut Square Group
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Ope...
Oct. 26, 2014 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,747
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an In...
Oct. 25, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,749
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud...
Oct. 25, 2014 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,869
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, will focus on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19...
Oct. 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,750
StackIQ offers a comprehensive software suite that automates the deployment, provisioning, and management of Big Infrastructure. With StackIQ’s software, you can spin up fully configured big data clusters, quickly and consistently — from bare-metal up to the applications layer — and manage them efficiently. Our software’s modular architecture allows customers to integrate nearly any application wi...
Oct. 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,807
As Platform as a Service (PaaS) matures as a category, developers should have the ability to use the programming language of their choice to build applications and have access to a wide array of services. Bluemix is IBM's open cloud development platform that enables users to easily build cloud-based, creative mobile and web applications without having to spend large amounts of time and resources o...
Oct. 25, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,828
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will nee...
Oct. 24, 2014 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,480
When you set off to build an app that will change the world, designing your system architecture to be reliable and scalable is important but the stark reality is that, for your MVP, you probably had a “need for speed” (of development). You didn’t know what all the axes were to scale your application, where your stress points would be, and what weird and wonderful ways your customers would use it d...
Oct. 24, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,300
Compute virtualization has been transformational, yet security policy implementation and enforcement has lagged behind in agility and automation. There are a number of key considerations when implementing policy in private and hybrid clouds. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Holland Barry, VP of Technology at Catbird, will discuss the impact of this new paradigm and what organizations can do to...
Oct. 24, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,559
SYS-CON Events announced today that Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, ...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,756