|By PR Newswire||
|December 26, 2012 01:26 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Dec. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In one of the popular holiday songs, this season is described as "the most wonderful time of the year." But it is not so wonderful if you wake up with a hangover after celebrating the previous night. The National Headache Foundation is providing some sound advice to avoid those headaches, or deal with the aftermath of too much celebration.
- If you decide to drink alcoholic beverages – practice moderation. Sip your drink slowly. Avoid drinks with straight alcohol. Mixed cocktails that contain fruit or vegetable juices (think Bloody Mary) may have less adverse effects. Red wine is definitely a usual suspect for triggering migraine headaches. Naturally occurring chemicals, congeners, provide the specific characteristic tastes to the different varieties of wine and are believed to be the element causing the headache. Stick to white wine as it contains less congeners than its red relative. And monitor your intake – if enjoying a long evening, switch to soda or water.
- Eat some honey. Honey contains fructose, a sugar that helps the body metabolize alcohol. It is also rich in Vitamin B6 which can help reduce hangover symptoms. Before starting the festivities, take two tablespoons of honey on a cracker or piece of toast – and you may prevent the hangover. Another good source of fructose, tomato juice, also allows the body to burn the alcohol faster. Consuming fruit or fruit juice prior to drinking may also help prevent the symptoms of a hangover.
- During the party, alternate the cocktail or wine with a non-alcoholic beverage. This habit will reduce the amount of alcohol consumed, and also helps replace fluids lost by drinking alcohol. You can also order a glass of water along with your cocktail.
- Before you start celebrating, eat greasy food. In general, greasy food should be avoided because of health issues. However, in this situation, eating fatty foods (in moderation) may be helpful as these foods will line the intestines, delaying alcohol absorption. Eating a burger or burrito prior to drinking that cocktail or beer may help you feel better the next day.
- The day after the night before – drink fluids containing minerals and salts. Alcohol consumption causes dehydration and you need to be replenished. For example, drinking a cup of broth or bouillon replaces fluid and does not cause nausea. Sports drinks or water are also helpful when trying to replace fluids.
- Get a cup of java when you awake the next day. The caffeine in coffee may provide relief in dealing with the hangover headache. Caffeine acts as a vasoconstrictor and will ease the dilated blood vessels.
- Although aspirin is okay, your stomach may not tolerate it after an evening of holiday celebrations. Ibuprofen is typically less irritating to the stomach than aspirin. If you cannot take aspirin, ibuprofen, or similar products, you may need to rely on acetaminophen to relieve the headache.
For those who experience chronic headaches during the holiday and throughout the year, you may need to consult your health care provider. If the headache is affecting work or school, and preventing your participation in social activities, it is time to seek help and get an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
The National Headache Foundation (NHF) exists to enhance the healthcare of individuals with headache. It is the premier educational and informational resource for individuals with headache, their families, health care providers who treat them, and the public. The NHF accomplishes its mission by providing educational and informational resources, supporting headache research, and advocating for the understanding of headache as a legitimate neurobiological disease.
For information on headache causes and treatments, or for a list of physicians in your area who treat headache, please visit www.headaches.org or call 1-888-NHF-5552.
SOURCE National Headache Foundation/Conduit Health Communications
ProfitBricks has launched its new DevOps Central and REST API, along with support for three multi-cloud libraries and a Python SDK. This, combined with its already existing SOAP API and its new RESTful API, moves ProfitBricks into a position to better serve the DevOps community and provide the ability to automate cloud infrastructure in a multi-cloud world. Following this momentum, ProfitBricks has also introduced several libraries that enable developers to use their favorite language to code ...
Apr. 18, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,252
SYS-CON Media announced today that John Treadway’s blog has exceeded 475,000 page views. John Treadway, Vice President at Cloud Technology Partners, has surpassed 475,000 page views on the SYS-CON family of online magazines, which includes Cloud Computing Journal, Internet of Things Journal, Big Data Journal, Microservices Journal, and several others. His blog home page at SYS-CON can be found at JohnTreadway.SYS-CON.com.
Apr. 18, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,301
SYS-CON Media announced today that Blue Box as launched a popular blog feed on Cloud Computing Journal. Cloud Computing Journal aims to help open the eyes of Enterprise IT professionals to the economics and strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Blue Box Cloud gives you unequaled agility, without the burden of designing, deploying and managing your own infrastructure. It’s the right choice when public cloud just won’t do. Blue Box Cloud is a managed Private Cloud as a Service (...
Apr. 18, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,226
SOASTA, the leader in performance analytics, today reported record growth of the CloudTest community, exceeding 30,000 registered users of the CloudTest platform in Q1 2015. SOASTA also announced widespread adoption of its Web and mobile testing solutions, with more than 1,600 customers completing more than 285,000 tests using CloudTest during the quarter. This rapid growth shows that DevOps-driven digital businesses are embracing a more continuous approach to testing, and CloudTest is meeting t...
Apr. 18, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 972
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will mee...
Apr. 18, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,533
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applicatio...
Apr. 18, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,215
SYS-CON Events announced today that BroadSoft, the leading global provider of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UCC) services to operators worldwide, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BroadSoft is the leading provider of software and services that enable mobile, fixed-line and cable service providers to offer Unified Communications over their Internet Protocol networks. The Compa...
Apr. 18, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,144
VoxImplant has announced full WebRTC support in the newest versions of its Android SDK and iOS SDK. The updated SDKs, which enable audio and video calls on mobile devices, are now compatible with the WebRTC standard to allow any mobile app to communicate with WebRTC-enabled browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and, when available, Microsoft Spartan. The WebRTC-updated SDKs represent VoxImplant's continued leadership in simplifying the development of real-time communication...
Apr. 18, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,783
Chef and Canonical announced a partnership to integrate and distribute Chef with Ubuntu. Canonical is integrating the Chef automation platform with Canonical's Machine-As-A-Service (MAAS), enabling users to automate the provisioning, configuration and deployment of bare metal compute resources in the data center. Canonical is packaging Chef 12 server in upcoming distributions of its Ubuntu open source operating system and will provide commercial support for Chef within its user base.
Apr. 18, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,703
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquir...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 892
PubNub on Wednesday released an open source template to allow developers to add Skype-like video chat into their apps. The free template provides a fully functional video chat platform using WebRTC, PubNub and Google Authentication for a global, reliable collaboration solution. “While the WebRTC protocol has created huge excitement as a way to deliver video chat ubiquitously, there’s still a gap between the protocol itself and the ability to deploy a working, globally scaled, collaboration appl...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,384
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,812
SYS-CON Events announced today that Optimal Design, an Internet of Things solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Optimal Design is an award winning product development firm offering industrial design and engineering services to the consumer, medical, and defense markets.
Apr. 17, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,565
While DevOps most critically and famously fosters collaboration, communication, and integration through cultural change, culture is more of an output than an input. In order to actively drive cultural evolution, organizations must make substantial organizational and process changes, and adopt new technologies, to encourage a DevOps culture. Moderated by Andi Mann, panelists will discuss how to balance these three pillars of DevOps, where to focus attention (and resources), where organizations m...
Apr. 17, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,620
SYS-CON Events announced today that kintone has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. kintone promotes cloud-based workgroup productivity, transparency and profitability with a seamless collaboration space, build your own business applic...
Apr. 17, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,451