|By Business Wire||
|January 8, 2013 07:01 AM EST||
Demandware®, Inc. (NYSE: DWRE), a leader in on-demand ecommerce, and the Terry J. Lundgren Center for Retailing at the University of Arizona today released the results from a new survey of 7,000 consumers across the US, UK, France and Germany that uncovers an emerging and valuable consumer segment. Research shows that this segment, coined Digital Divas, are digitally engaged and fashionable consumers that leverage an average of 3.7 technologies while shopping (versus an average of less than one technology by non-divas). While they comprise only 22 percent of fashion buyers, Digital Divas represent 69 percent of all fashion spending.
Infographic revealing results from a survey of 7,000 consumers across the US, UK, France and Germany that uncovers an emerging and valuable consumer segment - The Digital Divas. Who are they and why should retailers care? (Photo: Business Wire)
The research shows that Digital Divas – split almost evenly between 53 percent women and 47 percent men – are five times more likely than non-divas to influence their social networks by sharing, informing, educating, and advising. They command significant influenced spend (40 percent) beyond their direct spend (29 percent) and have become the epicenter of brand success. Analysis also revealed that Digital Divas are:
- Omni-Channel: They visit an average of 3.4 destinations during their journey, primarily shopping at physical retail stores (70%) and retailer websites (51%).
- Mobile: They are twice as likely to use mobile devices while shopping in stores than non-divas – giving them both access and inclinations to not only communicate, but also shop on the move.
- Informed: They are information omnivores, seeking out and devouring content from an average of 3.5 sources before purchase.
“It’s clear from our research that while Digital Divas are a small group of consumers, they have significant purchasing power and are extremely influential within their social networks – both online and in person,” said Dr. Anita Bhappu, PetSmart Professor of Retailing & Consumer Sciences at the University of Arizona. “They are both sophisticated and vocal shoppers, so it’s important that retailers attend to them.”
“Retailers can’t ignore exponential value that Digital Divas represent,” said Rob Garf, Vice President of Product and Solutions Marketing at Demandware. “To address their needs, it is imperative that retailers establish a digital backbone to enable seamless and consistent experiences for these digitally savvy consumers.”
- Download the Report: To learn more about these Digital Divas and what retailers need to do to serve this new customer segment, download the full report, “Who Are Digital Divas and Why Should Retailers Care?”
- Register for the Webinar: Join Anita Bhappu, Ph.D., The University of Arizona, and Rob Garf, Vice President of Product and Solutions Marketing, Demandware, for a live webinar on Tuesday, February 19th at 1:00 p.m. EST.
- Attend the Conference: The Global Retailing Conference 2013 of the University of Arizona's Terry J. Lundgren Center for Retailing. April 11-12, Loews Ventana Canyon, Tucson, AZ
- View and Share the Infographic: Who are Digital Divas and Why Do They Matter?
The University of Arizona and Demandware partnered to better understand fashion consumers in the changing face of retail. Survey data was collected from representative online panels in the US, UK, France and Germany during the fall of 2012. Qualified respondents were primary household shoppers of fashion products (apparel, footwear, and accessories) ages 18 years or older who had made a fashion purchase in the past three months. The survey sample included a total of 7413 respondents, 3506 in the US, 1433 in the UK, 1380 in Germany, and 1094 in France.
About the Terry J. Lundgren Center for Retailing
The Terry J. Lundgren Center for Retailing is part of the University of Arizona's John and Doris Norton School of Family and Consumer Sciences. It brings together the resources and expertise of academia and the retail industry, with a shared goal of developing strong future retail professionals. It is considered one of the top retail business programs in the country. About 500 students currently are enrolled in classes and degree programs.
Demandware (NYSE: DWRE) is a leading provider of software-as-a-service (SaaS) ecommerce solutions that enable companies to easily design, implement and manage their own customized ecommerce sites, including websites, mobile applications and other digital storefronts. Customers use our highly scalable and integrated Demandware Commerce platform to more easily launch and manage multiple ecommerce sites, initiate marketing campaigns more quickly, and improve ecommerce traffic. For more information about Demandware, visit www.demandware.com, call 1-888-553-9216 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect With Us:
Demandware is a registered trademark of Demandware, Inc.