|By PR Newswire||
|January 10, 2013 07:28 AM EST||
SOUTHAMPTON, England, January 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Ordnance Survey has launched the organisation's first official mobile app for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. OS MapFinder, is an ideal iOS app for outdoor enthusiasts or anyone participating in outdoor activities; is free to download and includes free overview mapping for the whole of Great Britain. Once downloaded OS MapFinder allows users to purchase and download more detailed map data for outdoor use.
Ordnance Survey maintains Great Britain's definitive digital mapping database and OS MapFinder brings all the detail and accuracy of the iconic and trusted Ordnance Survey paper maps to iOS devices.
A unique feature of the fast and easy to use app is the tile download facility, which provides users with the ultimate freedom to choose the maps they want. Sections of mapping are purchased in single 10 km by 10 km tiles with prices from just 69p and the image brings Ordnance Survey's recognised print quality to iOS devices using 660 dpi. This means that on devices with retina display, the images appear sharp and clear.
All maps are cached on the device, meaning they can be used even without a WiFi or mobile signal, improving reliability and the experience of using the maps outdoors. Users can search for locations by place name, postcode, Ordnance Survey Grid reference and then seamlessly zoom across the range of maps to get a range of perspectives. Having selected their map of choice, OS MapFinder also allows users to record or draw their walking, cycling or running routes. Routes can be saved on the device to be reviewed or repeated at a later date and can be personalised with photographs.
Peter ter Haar, Director of Products said: "Ordnance Survey prides itself on generating accurate and up-to-date mapping data. Customers have been asking us to extend the ways they can access our detailed and trusted mapping to meet the demands of today's digital lifestyle. We are delighted to be launching OS MapFinder to give consumers the most up-to-date mapping from just 69p. Customers will now be able to enjoy the same experience as using a trusted Ordnance Survey paper map when exploring Great Britain on the go, at the touch of a screen.
"OS MapFinder is an extension of our outdoor products with accessibility to our quality mapping in print, online and now on mobile devices."
The OS MapFinder app will be free to download from iTunes.
Notes to editors:
- Ordnance Survey maintains the definitive geographic framework of Great Britain and is responsible for the surveying, production, maintenance and marketing of a wide range of geographic information (mapping), relied on by government, local authorities, business and individuals.
- Up to 10,000 changes are made to the master map database every day. Changes in the urban and rural landscapes are captured by a team of 230 field surveyors and two light aircrafts fitted with high-powered digital cameras.
- The 1:25 000 scale mapping most commonly known as OS Explorer Maps and the 1:50 000 scale mapping known as OS Landranger Maps, are available to purchase from our online shop at http://www.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk
- OS MapFinder offers the best quality mapping you can get for iPhone and iPad (IOS) devices (660dpi/designed for retina display).
- 10 km bite size pieces of map specific to the user's exact requirements for £2.49 (per 1:25 000 tile) or £0.69 (per 1:50 000 tile).
- Ordnance Survey is currently developing an Android version of the app.
- Ordnance Survey and search and rescue organisations recommend that users of digital devices should always carry a traditional paper map as backup.