|By PR Newswire||
|January 13, 2013 07:01 PM EST||
LONDON, January 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Souvenaid, a "Food for Special Medical Purposes" for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease
From today, Souvenaid, a unique 125ml once-a-day drink, is available for people living with early Alzheimer's disease. This over-the-counter innovative product is the result of over 10 years' research into the nutritional needs of people living with the early stages of the disease.
Around 800,000 people in the UK live with dementia,1 of which Alzheimer's disease is the most common form. It is a growing health problem in an aging population, leading the government to prioritise earlier diagnosis of the condition.
The loss of connections in the brain (synapses) is one of the key features of early Alzheimer's disease. A combination of nutrients are required in the process of making new connections and people living with Alzheimer's disease have been shown to have relatively low levels of these nutrients in their bodies despite eating a normal diet.2,3,4,5,6,7
This adds to a growing body of evidence that highlights how nutrition can help manage the disease in the early stages.8,9,10,11,12,13
Dr David Wilkinson, Consultant in Old Age Psychiatry, commented: "Alzheimer's disease is not part and parcel of aging but a serious and progressive disease of the brain which prevents us from being able to retain new memories. As we age, our bodies become less efficient at processing essential nutrients, meaning that we need to increase our intake of food to absorb the same amount of nutrients in order to maintain a healthy body. In the same way, we need the right nutrients for our brains to keep them healthy.
"Alzheimer's disease sufferers often find it very difficult to get everything they need through diet alone and the nutritional intervention by the use of Souvenaid is a new area of research offering promising results for the management of early Alzheimer's disease."
The current healthcare provision for people with early Alzheimer's disease fails to reflect the important role that nutrition can play in managing the disease. A recent survey of specialists involved in the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease showed that only a third (33%) regularly assess patients' nutritional status during the diagnostic process.14 Two-thirds of specialists do not even have access to a dietician for these patients.14
Often, after a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease, it can be difficult to stay positive, particularly when there is little to offer in the way of effective early interventions. Souvenaid offers a new option for people living with early-stage Alzheimer's disease.
Barbara Stephens, Dementia UK Chief Executive, commented: "A diagnosis of dementia is devastating both for those with the condition and their families and carers. Early-stage intervention is important for maximising choices and enabling people with dementia and their carers to lead healthier lives for longer."
Souvenaid contains a unique combination of nutrients that are naturally present in food, at levels difficult to achieve from diet alone. It contains: omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA]), uridine (as uridine monophosphate [UMP]) and choline, together with phospholipids and B vitamins. Souvenaid comes in two tasty flavours (vanilla and strawberry) and tastes best served chilled. Souvenaid is designed to be incorporated into the daily routine, for example, by taking it at breakfast time.
Souvenaid is a Food for Special Medical Purposes, for the dietary management of early Alzheimer's disease. It is available over-the-counter from local accredited pharmacists. People with early Alzheimer's disease must speak with a doctor, specialist nurse, dietician or pharmacist to see if Souvenaid is right for them.
Please visit http://www.souvenaid.com for more information.
Notes to Editors
About Nutricia Advanced Medical Nutrition
- Nutricia is the leading medical nutrition company in Europe. It is part of Danone, one of the fastest-growing food and nutrition companies in the world.
- Nutricia aims to bring health through medical nutrition to those people who most need it, focusing on people with disease- or age-related nutritional needs.
- Nutricia has an extensive portfolio of products and services, catering from nutritional needs in metabolic conditions such as phenylketonuria (PKU), to non-metabolic conditions such as allergy and epilepsy, to disease-related malnutrition and frailty.
- Through its Homeward service and 100 dedicated nurses, Nutricia supports over 20,000 people in the UK who require enteral nutrition (tube feeding) support in their own homes.
- Designed to be taken daily.
- A 125ml daily drink, available in two tasty flavours, vanilla and strawberry.
- A food for special medical purposes and must be used under medical supervision.
- Available from 14th January 2013 in accredited pharmacies in England, Wales and Scotland, and via http://www.souvenaid.com.
- Gluten and lactose free.
- A unique combination of nutrients including omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (docosahexaenoic acid, DHA and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)), uridine (as uridine monophosphate (UMP)) and choline, together with phospholipids and B vitamins. Whilst such nutrients are naturally present in food, such levels are difficult to achieve from diet alone.
The safety and efficacy of Souvenaid has been studied in several clinical trials.7,15,16 A further study in prodromal (non-symptomatic Alzheimer's disease) is currently underway. This trial is wholly funded by the European Union.17
Please visit http://www.souvenaid.com for more information.
1. Alzheimer's Society. Statistics [Online] http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=341 [Accessed December 2012].
2. Jicha GA, Markesbery WR. Omega-3 fatty acids: potential role in the management of early Alzheimer's disease. Clin Interv Aging. 2010;5:45-61.
3. Smach MA, Jacob N, Golmard J-L et al. Folate and homocysteine in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with Alzheimer's disease or dementia: a case control study. Eur. Neurol. 2011;65(5):270-8.
4. Glasø M, Nordbø G, Diep L, Bøhmer T. Reduced concentrations of several vitamins in normal weight patients with late-onset dementia of the Alzheimer type without vascular disease. J Nutr Health Aging. 2004;8(5):407-13.
5. Lopes da Silva S, Elemans S et al. Plasma nutrient status of Alzheimer's disease patients compared to cognitive intact elderly controls; a systematic review and meta-analysis. Alzheimers Dement 2012; 8(4):Supple 2 216.
6. Sijben J, Olde Rikkert MG et al. Different nutritional status in patients with mild Alzheimer's disease compared to healthy controls. Eur J Neurol 2012; in press.
7. Scheltens P, Twisk JW, Blesa R et al. Efficacy of Souvenaid in mild Alzheimer's disease: results from a randomized, controlled trial. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012; 31:225-36.
8. Morris MC, Evans DA, Bienias JL et al. Consumption of fish and n-3 fatty acids and risk of incident Alzheimer disease. Arch. Neurol. 2003; 60(7):940-6.
9. Sydenham E, Dangour AD, Lim W-S. Omega 3 fatty acid for the prevention of cognitive decline and dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 6:CD005379.
10. Gu Y, Nieves JW, Stern Y et al. Food combination and Alzheimer disease risk: a protective diet. Arch. Neurol. 2010; 67(6):699-706.
11. Zandi PP, Anthony JC, Khachaturian AS et al. Reduced risk of Alzheimer disease in users of antioxidant vitamin supplements: the Cache County Study. Arch. Neurol. 2004; 61(1):82-8.
12. Quadri P, Fragiacomo C, Pezzati R et al. Homocysteine, folate, and vitamin B-12 in mild cognitive impairment, Alzheimer disease, and vascular dementia. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2004; 80(1):114-122.
13. Sachdev PS. Homocysteine and brain atrophy. Prog. Neuropsychopharmacol. Biol. Psychiatry. 2005; 29(7):1152-1161.
14. 100 specialists were surveyed online. Fieldwork was conducted by MedeConnect Healthcare Insight 2-16 November 2012.
15. Scheltens P, Kamphuis PJ, Verhey F et al. Efficacy of a medical food in mild Alzheimer's Disease: a randomized controlled trial.
Alzheimer's & Dementia. 2010;6:1-10.
16. Shah R et al. Souvenaid® as an add-on intervention in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease using Alzheimer's disease medication: results from a randomized, controlled, double-blind study (S-Connect). CTAD, San Diego, November 2011; J Nutr Health Aging (Nov suppl.).
17. European Commission website. LipiDiDiet: http:ec.europa.eu/research/bioeconomy/lipidiet_en.htm [Accessed December 2012].
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,283
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,186
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,952
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,386
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,976
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,289
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 20, 2014 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,243
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 20, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,028
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Dec. 20, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,778
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 20, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,958
AppZero has announced that its award-winning application migration software is now fully qualified within the Microsoft Azure Certified program. AppZero has undergone extensive technical evaluation with Microsoft Corp., earning its designation as Microsoft Azure Certified. As a result of AppZero's work with Microsoft, customers are able to easily find, purchase and deploy AppZero from the Azure Marketplace. With just a few clicks, users have an Azure-based solution for moving applications to the...
Dec. 20, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 995
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,316
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Dec. 20, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,123
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Dec. 20, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 1,891