|By PR Newswire||
|January 16, 2013 01:06 PM EST||
Recipients demonstrate innovative approaches to school sustainability, recognized for commitment to healthy, high-performing schools
WASHINGTON, Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Center for Green Schools at the U.S. Green Building Council today announced its second annual "Best of Green Schools" list, which recognizes top educational institutions and individuals across the country for embracing environmental initiatives.
"Year after year we continue to be blown away by the ingenuity and innovation of communities across the country and around the world," said Rachel Gutter, director of the Center for Green Schools at USGBC. "In these challenging economic times, we've seen an impressive commitment on the part of schools, communities and leaders to make the places where our children learn healthy and safe, and put money back into the classrooms where it belongs."
The Best of Green Schools 2012 list highlights schools, districts, individuals and communities working toward the common goal of healthy, high-performing learning places for all. The Best of Green Schools 2012 list recognizes the hard work being done across the country and to honor the heroes and shining examples of our movement.
The recipients of the Best of Green Schools 2012 include:
- K-12 School(s) – Manzo Elementary (Tuscon, Ariz.) & Bertschi Science Wing (Seattle, Wash.):The Reconciliation Ecology Project at Manzo Elementary is transforming lives and communities through the promotion of stewardship, healthy choices and innovation in learning and educational facilities. Seattle's Bertschi School Living Science building is the first project in the world built to the Living Building Challenge (LBC) v2.0 standards and in an urban setting.
- 2-Year Higher Education Institution – Johnson County Community College (Overland Park, Kan.): In just four years, JCCC has become a signatory to the ACUPCC and is providing regional and national leadership on sustainability issues.
- 4-Year Higher Education Institution – Oberlin College (Oberlin, Ohio): Through innovative curriculum, research and work opportunities, and educational events and programming, Oberlin College aims to engage all members of its community in sustainability issues.
- School District – Virginia Beach City Public Schools: The current LEED projects in the district total over 1.5 million SF of LEED building space. In addition, VBCPS currently has 21 Energy Star schools totaling 2.3 million SF of building space.
- Policy Maker(s) – Henry A. J. Ramos and U.S. Department of Education Secretary Arne Duncan:Henry A. J. Ramos is at the forefront of system-wide efforts to integrate environmental sustainability into 112 colleges by introducing policy so that it becomes part of their institutional culture. Under Secretary Duncan's leadership, the U.S. Department of Education's Green Ribbon Schools program has united the NGO community around a common effort, impacting millions of students across this country as their schools are working to become healthier, more efficient places to receive a 21st century education.
- Moment for the Movement – International Green Schools Movement: For the first Green Apple Day of Service, 49 countries around the world and on every continent came together to make the green schools movement global.
- Ambassador – Frederick E. Harris, Vice Chancellor of College Finance and Facilities Planning for California Community Colleges: Harris has led the 72-district community college system toward minimizing its environmental impact by reducing energy use through energy efficiency and energy conservation and adoptions of sustainable practices.
- Business Innovation – Interface: Interface's "Learning from Nature" brochure was created to share information about biomimicry from a perspective that not only impacts the construction or renovation of education buildings, but influences learning strategies from within the classroom. The brochure was distributed via mail to over 100K decision makers and influencers across North America throughout the K-12 and Higher Ed environments.
- Community-Based Event – Public Purpose Fair, Westminster Schools (Atlanta, Ga.): The Public Purpose Fair held in March 2012 was a campus-wide event of service projects and assemblies focused on how Westminster's community can, and does, strive to make a better world through courses, programs and co-curricular experiences.
- Collaboration – Connecticut Green Leaf Schools Program: The Connecticut Green LEAF Schools Program encourages K-12 schools to create and improve their environmental and sustainability education, enhance the health and wellness of students and staff, and reduce the environmental impact of their buildings.
As the Best of Green Schools 2012 list demonstrates, there are many benefits to healthier, safer and more efficient schools. On average, green schools use 33 percent less energy and 32 percent less water than conventionally designed schools, significantly reducing utility costs. Green schools can save approximately $100,000 on operating costs annually – enough to hire two new teachers, buy 5,000 textbooks or purchase 200 new computers.
Please visit centerforgreenschools.org/bestof2012 for more information on each of this year's recipients.
About U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC)
The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) is committed to a prosperous and sustainable future through cost-efficient and energy-saving green buildings. USGBC works toward its mission of market transformation through its LEED green building certification program, robust educational offerings, a nationwide network of chapters and affiliates, the annual Greenbuild International Conference & Expo and advocacy in support of public policy that encourages and enables green buildings and communities. For more information, visit usgbc.org and follow us on Twitter @USGBC, and Facebook at facebook.com/USGBC.
About the Center for Green Schools at USGBC
The Center for Green Schools at the U.S. Green Building Council is making sure every student has the opportunity to attend a green school within this generation. From kindergarten to college and beyond, the Center works directly with staff, teachers, facility, students, ambassadors, elected officials and communities to drive the transformation of all schools into sustainable places to live and learn, work and play. For more information, visit centerforgreenschools.org, follow us on Twitter at @mygreenschools, and like us on Facebook at facebook.com/centerforgreenschools.
SOURCE Center for Green Schools at USGBC
The cloud is becoming the de-facto way for enterprises to leverage common infrastructure while innovating and one of the biggest obstacles facing public cloud computing is security. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jeff Aliber, a global marketing executive at Verizon, discussed how the best place for web security is in the cloud. Benefits include: Functions as the first layer of defense Easy operation –CNAME change Implement an integrated solution Best architecture for addressing network-l...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:30 PM EST Reads: 2,361
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 2,782
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 3,269
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,698
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,718
DevOps means different things to different people. Qubell defines DevOps as the ability for the developer teams to do what they need to do to have this level of self-service. At DevOps Summit, Stan Klimoff, CTO of Qubell, demos the enterprise DevOps platform.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,396
Cloud computing started a technology revolution; now DevOps is driving that revolution forward. By enabling new approaches to service delivery, cloud and DevOps together are delivering even greater speed, agility, and efficiency. No wonder leading innovators are adopting DevOps and cloud together! In his session at DevOps Summit, Andi Mann, Vice President of Strategic Solutions at CA Technologies, explored the synergies in these two approaches, with practical tips, techniques, research data, wa...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,279
Software AG and Wipro Ltd. have announced a joint solution platform for streaming analytics that provides real-time actionable intelligence for the Internet of Things (IoT) market. “The key to successfully addressing the IoT market is the ability to rapidly build and evolve apps that tap into, analyze and make smart decisions on fast, big data”, said John Bates, Global Head of Industry Solutions and CMO, Software AG. To address the huge market potential created by streaming analytics in conj...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,200
Appcore deploys cloud for service providers based on the Apache Cloud set. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Nate Gordon, Director of Technology at Appcore, shows their new product that's coming out in January - Appcore Atlas, which is focused on deploying private clouds based on CloudStack in 15 minutes or less. Our upcoming June 9-11, 2015, event in New York City will present a total of 10 simultaneous tracks (the largest conference content in the world) by an all-star faculty, over three days...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,637
Amazon, Google and Facebook are household names in part because of their mastery of Big Data. But what about organizations without billions of dollars to spend on Big Data tools - how can they extract value from their data? In his session at 6th Big Data Expo®, Ali Ghodsi, Co-Founder and Head of Engineering at Databricks, discussed how the zero management cost and scalability of the cloud is addressing the challenges and pain points that data engineers face when working with Big Data. He also s...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,558
Wearable devices have come of age. The primary applications of wearables so far have been "the Quantified Self" or the tracking of one's fitness and health status. We propose the evolution of wearables into social and emotional communication devices. Our BE(tm) sensor uses light to visualize the skin conductance response. Our sensors are very inexpensive and can be massively distributed to audiences or groups of any size, in order to gauge reactions to performances, video, or any kind of present...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,100
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, ...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,023
IBM has announced a new strategic technology services agreement with Anthem, Inc., a health benefits company in the U.S. IBM has been selected to provide operational services for Anthem's mainframe and data center server and storage infrastructure for the next five years. Among the benefits of the relationship, Anthem has the ability to leverage IBM Cloud solutions that will help increase the ease, availability and speed of adding infrastructure to support new business requirements.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,612
The term culture has had a polarizing effect among DevOps supporters. Some propose that culture change is critical for success with DevOps, but are remiss to define culture. Some talk about a DevOps culture but then reference activities that could lead to culture change and there are those that talk about culture change as a set of behaviors that need to be adopted by those in IT. There is no question that businesses successful in adopting a DevOps mindset have seen departmental culture change, ...
Feb. 1, 2015 12:45 PM EST Reads: 2,680
CA Technologies released a new study – “DevOps: The Worst-Kept Secret to Winning in the Application Economy” – that reveals that 82% of enterprises in Asia Pacific and Japan (APJ) already have or plan to adopt a DevOps strategy, a 12 point increase from last year’s figure of 70%. DevOps is a methodology which helps foster collaboration between the teams that create and test applications (Dev) with those that maintain them in production environments (Ops). Vanson Bourne conducted the survey with...
Feb. 1, 2015 12:30 PM EST Reads: 867