|By Harold Wong||
|February 12, 2013 10:00 AM EST||
Using Parallels Desktop to install Windows and the dev tools on your Mac
- Learn how to use Parallels Desktop to install Windows8 and Microsoft Visual Studio Express2012 for Windows8 on your Mac.
In this article
- What you'll need
- Step 1: Install Parallels Desktop
- Step 2: Set up Parallels Desktop
- Step 3: Install Windows8
- Step 4: Install Visual Studio Express2012 for Windows8
- Related resources
Follow these steps to use Parallels Desktop to install Windows 8 and Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8 on your Mac.
What you'll need
You'll need the following to use Parallels Desktop to install Windows 8 and Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8 on your Mac:
- Parallels Desktop. To download a trial version of Parallels Desktop, see Download Parallels Desktop for Mac.
- A Windows 8 bootable DVD or a Windows 8 disk image (.iso) file. To get a Windows 8 .iso file, go to Developer downloads for programming Windows Store apps. In the "Download Windows 8" section, follow the on-screen instructions.
Note The following steps were tested using Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac.
Step 1: Install Parallels Desktop
To install Parallels Desktop, do this:
1. Run the ParallelsDesktop-Build_Number-.dmg package that you downloaded earlier.
2. The Parallels Desktop app starts. Click the Install icon.
3. In the Software License Agreement page, click Accept.
4. In the Parallels Desktop needs to perform needs to perform one-time initialization... dialog box, type your Mac user name and password, and then click OK. The install will begin.
5. When the install finishes, the Activate Parallels Desktop page appears.
6. Click Get Trial. In the Request Trial Key page, type your Mac user name and email address, click your country in the Country list, and then click Get Trial. Parallels Desktop will then activate.
7. After Parallels Desktop activates, the Parallels Wizard will start.
Step 2: Set up Parallels Desktop
After theParallels Wizard starts, to set up Parallels Desktop, do this:
1. In the New Virtual Machine page, click the Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file icon, and then click Continue.
2. In the New Installation page, in the Install from list, click Choose an image file, and then browse to and select the Windows 8 disk image (.iso) file that you created earlier. Then click Continue.
Note If you have a Windows 8 bootable DVD, instead of clicking Choose an image file, click the DVD drive that contains your Windows 8 bootable DVD. Then click Continue.
3. In the Windows Product Key page, uncheck the Express installation box, and then click Continue.
4. In the Integration with Mac page, click either the Like a Mac or Like a PC icon (if you're not sure which icon to click, click Help me choose), and then click Continue.
5. In the Name and Location page, in the Name box, type a name for the virtual machine (like "Windows 8"). In the Location box, click where the virtual machine will be stored. Then, with the Customize settings before installation box checked, click Continue. The virtual machine settings page appears.
6. With General selected, confirm the virtual machine name, and set the number of CPUs and memory that the virtual machine will use (we recommend using at least 2 virtual CPUs and 2 GB (2048 MB) of memory).
7. Click Options, and then click Optimization. Next to Nested Virtualization, check the Enable box. When the Enabling nested virtualization... dialog box appears, click Yes.
Step 3: Install Windows 8
After you set up Parallels Desktop from the previous step, your virtual machine will start installing Windows 8 automatically. Follow the on-screen directions to finish installing Windows 8.
Step 4: Install Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8
In Windows 8, use Windows Internet Explorer to go to Developer downloads for programming Windows Store apps. In the "Download the tools and SDK" section, click Download now. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8.