|By Marketwired .||
|February 11, 2013 09:52 AM EST||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/11/13 -- For the second time in four years, Putnam Investments has been ranked # 1 in the annual Barron's/Lipper Fund Families Report, based on its funds' performance in 2012.
The latest report, which appears in the February 11, 2013 issue of Barron's, ranks 62 mutual fund companies based on their performance across a variety of asset types, including U.S. Equities, World Equities, Mixed Equities, Taxable Bond and Tax-Exempt Bond. In addition to securing the survey's top spot for its investment performance in 2009, Putnam had a top 14 placement for its 2010 results.
"Our organization takes great pride in bringing its full investment management resources and capabilities to bear every day for financial advisors, institutions and shareholders -- across asset classes, investment styles and industry sectors through an array of traditional and alternative approaches," said Robert L. Reynolds, President and Chief Executive Officer, Putnam Investments. "It is enormously gratifying to see our complex-wide efforts and performance further validated by the prestigious Barron's/Lipper ranking -- and we are deeply honored."
In discussing the Barron's/Lipper distinction, Reynolds pointed to the tireless work, savvy judgment and risk-aware discipline of Putnam's portfolio managers, research analysts, traders and senior investment professionals on its Equity, Fixed Income and Global Asset Allocation teams, all led by Chief Investment Officer Walter Donovan.
Under the overall leadership of Reynolds, who joined the firm in July 2008, Putnam has moved aggressively to strengthen fund performance and its underlying investment unit through a host of steps, including: the build-out of its investment talent through the recruitment of top-tier industry professionals and development of bright prospects from the nation's leading schools, continual upgrade of a high-performance fundamental research team, restructuring of the firm's equity investment division to increase individual fund manager accountability and responsibility, and realignment of manager and analyst incentives to reward those who deliver top-quartile sustained results for investors.
While acknowledging the firm's achievements in 2012, Reynolds pointed to the firm's longer term performance. "We have put together a very formidable body of investment performance over the last four years that the marketplace should increasingly begin to notice and which we want to continue to build on over time," he said. "Our primary goal as an asset management firm is simple: deliver strong, risk-adjusted results to our clients and investors over the long haul. The Barron's/Lipper ranking represents a tremendous point-in-time recognition within our industry, but we will continue to move forward with laser-like focus on our mission."
Performance and Awareness
Last week, Putnam officially announced the launch of an awareness-building campaign, entitled, "New Ways of Thinking," which will stress the importance for financial advisors and investors to continually anticipate the evolution of the investment markets and act to seize a new set of opportunities and mitigate unforeseen challenges. The campaign will officially begin today through a series of new print, direct marketing, and online advertising, and will use a host of content-driven, multi-media vehicles throughout 2013 to communicate the need to incorporate modern, innovative investment approaches into more traditional investment models and mindsets in order to continually stay ahead of the curve.
Recent History of Product Innovation at Putnam
Besides the emphasis on driving performance of existing funds, Putnam has renewed its claim to leadership in mutual fund innovation since 2009, launching 20 new funds designed to help advisors and investors address a new era of opportunities and challenges including:
- Putnam Absolute Return Funds, the industry's first complete suite of absolute return products; designed to seek positive returns above inflation over a full market cycle regardless of market condition, with lower volatility.
- Putnam RetirementReady® Funds, the first lifecycle products that give fund managers control over all securities chosen for inclusion in a target-date product.
- Putnam Equity Spectrum and Putnam Capital Spectrum Funds, which specialize in finding value in the stocks and bonds of undervalued, leveraged companies by investing across the entire capital structure.
- Putnam Global Sector Funds, the first series of mutual funds to target stocks in sectors across the entire MSCI World Index (as well as Putnam Global Sector Fund, the first fund-of-sector-funds in the global equity space).
- Putnam Multi-Cap Core, Putnam Multi-Cap Value, and Putnam Multi-Cap Growth Funds, three multi-cap equity funds with exposure to the full array of U.S. stocks within the value, core/blend, and growth style universes.
- Putnam Dynamic Risk Allocation Fund, which employs a form of risk parity, which the firm has managed for a variety of sophisticated institutional investors for over a half-decade. The Fund provides a different lens on investing by actively and regularly rebalancing varying sources of portfolio risk within and among multiple asset classes.
- Putnam Short Duration Income Fund that strives for a higher rate of current income than is typical of short-term investments and has a greater focus on capital preservation than is usually associated with ultra-short bond funds, with the goal of maintaining liquidity.
About Putnam Investments
Founded in 1937, Putnam Investments is a leading global money management firm. At the end of January 2013, Putnam had $133 billion in assets under management. Putnam has offices in Boston, London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Beijing, Singapore and Sydney. For more information, visit http://www.putnam.com.
Putnam mutual funds are distributed by Putnam Retail Management.