|By Business Wire||
|July 30, 2013 12:59 PM EDT||
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/7hbmk8/mems_for_cell) has announced the addition of the "MEMS for Cell Phones and Tablets 2013" report to their offering.
From a $2.2B business in 2012, market demand for new sensors will lead to a $6.4B market by 2018!
MEMS devices are proliferating in mobile devices. We count 25+ sensors and actuators in production or in development for mobile applications, including MEMS accelerometers, MEMS gyroscopes, magnetometers, 6-axis e-compasses, 6-axis IMU combos, 9-axis combo solutions, silicon microphones, microspeakers, pressure sensors, humidity/temperature sensors, BAW filters and duplexers, MEMS switches and variable capacitors, silicon MEMS oscillators/resonators, micromirrors for picoprojectors, microdisplays, MEMS autofocus, IR sensors and micro bolometers, biochemical detectors & gas sensors, MEMS touchscreen, MEMS joystick, radiation detectors, MEMS fuel cells, energy harvesting, UV sensors, ultrasonic sensors and more!
Mobile phones and tablets are becoming more sophisticated, and MEMS content is everincreasing. Indeed, MEMS sensors and actuators bring a strong value proposition at different levels:
- Navigation & environmental sensing
- Improved sound quality
- Better communication performance
- Improved visual experience + new tactile interface
- Increased battery life
- Infrared sensing
The past 12 months have seen big changes. While in the past, cell phone MEMS were limited to three categories (inertial, microphones and filters), we've seen strong adoption of new device types targeting environmental sensing. Also, pressure sensors are being heavily adopted in flagship phones and tablets, and humidity sensors are being adopted in the Samsung Galaxy S4. All of these new MEMS killer applications are detailed in this report.
Objectives of the report
- To provide a global overview of market data for MEMS components used in cell phones and tablets, including key market metrics & dynamics
- To provide an analysis of major technology trends for each device type
- To provide a deep analysis of the challenges and opportunities for MEMS sensors and actuators in handsets and tablets
- To provide a clear understanding of the MEMS value chain, infrastructure and players for the cellular handset and tablet business
- To analyze sensor fusion developments and emerging major end-applications, including indoor navigation and context awareness
What 's new compared to last edition ?
- Device and company updates
- Latest market and technology trends in this fast-moving area!
- Analysis of new sensor types; specific sections on humidity sensors and emerging sensors
- Analysis of sensor fusion developments; impact of wearable electronics and other connected objects
- Insights on other sensor types: image sensors, ALS, proximity, color, etc.
Key features of the report
- Status of MEMS devices (in production/in development) for cell phone applications
- 2010-2018 market forecasts and 2012 market shares
- Analysis of sensor fusion developments, including connected devices' impact (i.e. wearable electronics)
Key Topics Covered:
1. Introduction, definitions & methodology
2. Executive summary
3. Trends in the mobile phone and tablet market, and drivers for the integration of MEMS in mobile devices
4. Trends in sensor/data fusion
5. Competitive trends and supply chain analysis
6. MEMS in mobile phones/tablets: 2012-2018 market overview
7. Inertial sensors, magnetometers
8. MEMS microphones and speakers
9. Pressure and humidity sensors
10. BAW, RF-MEMS and silicon timing
11. Optical MEMS: mirrors, display, AF, IR
12. Emerging MEMS for mobile devices
13. Other sensors in mobile phones (non-MEMS technologies)
14. Conclusion and perspectives
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/7hbmk8/mems_for_cell