|By Business Wire||
|August 6, 2013 04:00 AM EDT||
ECI Telecom, a global provider of next-generation network solutions, has upgraded the German Research Network - Deutsches Forschungsnetz e.V. (DFN-Verein) network, enabling the delivery of 100G services, for faster connectivity and increased capacity. This new 100G service has been deployed in the organization’s X-WiN research network.
- More than 750 universities and research institutes use X-WiN to connect to global research networks and the internet in general. DFN offers these universities and institutes specialized services such as voice over IP, videoconferencing, roaming, and public key infrastructure for digital certification.
- X-WiN, spanning more than 11,000 km of dark fiber, is one of the largest and most powerful research networks worldwide. With the additional 100G service, DFN will cater to Germany’s research and science needs of today and into the future.
- In 2012, ECI was selected to deploy the Apollo after a rigorous tender process, in which key criteria were highest capacity and the flexibility to enable new connections with short lead times.
- This latest upgrade involved the simple and fast installation of plug-in 100G cards for connection between routers, without any other changes in the network, and therefore no disruptions or interruptions in service.
- Since its founding in 1961, ECI has provided leading service providers and network operators with the most innovative and advanced networking solutions in the market. ECI has been present in the German market since 1984.
ECI deployed the Apollo Optimized Multi-Layer Transport (OMLT) platforms in all 69 locations of the X-WiN network. The network is based on colorless, directionless and contentionless ROADM WDM layers and ODU cross-connect at Layer 1 – thus enabling a dynamic network with the ability to respond quickly to any new service demand.
The Apollo family was launched in November 2011, and is enjoying great traction with service providers around the world. In December 2012, ECI has launched the Native Packet Transport (NPT) family, also part of the OMLT architecture, to deliver an affordable, scalable and easy to manage metro packet transport networks, for lowest TCO.
“DFN has been experiencing increasing demands from its users in terms of bandwidth and service delivery times. Deployment of ECI’s 100G technology allows DFN to efficiently support these and future requirements. The 100G connections between X-WiNs core routers were brought online without any disruption of existing services or the need for changes to the underlying network.”
Dr. Stefan Piger, DFN Association
“We continue to support DFN and the X-WIN network, with its constantly
evolving needs and requirements. For DFN’s customers, the expansion was
completely painless, as they experienced no disruption in the service
whatsoever, yet are now able to enjoy higher capacity links in their
Christian Erbe, Managing Director, ECI Telecom GmbH
“We are proud to have DFN as one of our leading customers. DFN enjoyed a
smooth 100G deployment, and can now benefit from Apollo’s advanced
features and flexible architecture for next-generation optical
networking. With deployments all over the world, including Russia,
Romania, Czech Republic, Germany, India, Japan, Philippines and others,
Apollo allows operators to dramatically shorten the time for delivery of
new services, while increasing revenues and optimizing capex.”
Sorin Lupu, President Sales & Marketing, ECI Telecom
Apollo 40G/100G Coherent Solutions (White paper)
Apollo Family (Brochure)
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS
- Become a fan of ECI Telecom on Facebook.
- Follow ECI Telecom news updates on Twitter.
- High-resolution graphics are available for download at Flickr.
ABOUT DEUTSCHES FORSCHUNGSNETZ E.V. (DFN-VEREIN)
Science itself organizes the German National Research and Education Network (DFN), the communications network for science and research in Germany. DFN connects universities and research institutions and has become an integral part of the European and worldwide community of R&E networks. Through several high-capacity peerings, DFN is connected with the common Internet. DFN offers a wide range of customized services for collaboration and communication in the R&E communities. The service portfolio is constantly being enhanced and complemented by innovative applications which are developed through projects and piloting ventures. DFN supports its users conducting training events, workshops and conferences. Moreover, DFN promotes various competence centres which provide advice in operational and technical matters as well as in legal affairs. The association to promote a German education and research network, DFN-Verein, organizes DFN and guarantees its further development and usage. DFN-Verein is an acknowledged non-profit association. For more information, visit www.dfn.de.
ABOUT ECI TELECOM
ECI Telecom delivers innovative communications platforms to carriers and service providers worldwide. ECI provides efficient platforms and solutions that enable customers to rapidly deploy cost-effective, revenue-generating services. Founded in 1961, Israel-based ECI has consistently delivered customer-focused networking solutions to the world’s largest carriers. The Company is also a market leader in many emerging markets. ECI provides scalable broadband access, transport and data networking infrastructure that provides the foundation for the communications of tomorrow, including next-generation voice, IPTV, mobility and other business solutions. For more information, visit www.ecitele.com.