|By Marketwired .||
|August 7, 2013 01:06 PM EDT||
MUNDELEIN, IL--(Marketwired - August 07, 2013) - An estimated 700,000-plus people in the United States are currently living with an ostomy -- a surgically created opening in the body for the discharge of body wastes. While this type of procedure is performed to assist in the management of many different diseases and conditions, patients with an ostomy often experience complications, including severe skin irritation and sores around the opening. In response to these issues, Medline Industries, Inc. will demonstrate how its comprehensive line of advanced wound care and peristomal care products can help improve quality of life for ostomy patients at this week's annual United Ostomy Associations of America (UOAA) national conference held in Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 7-10.
Hundreds of ostomy patients and caregivers are expected to attend this year's conference titled "Bridge to Acceptance," which is geared toward providing education and outreach to those either currently living with an ostomy or are caregivers.
"So many people think that after they go through the surgery, they're alone," said David Rudzin, president, UOAA board of directors. "Then you come to one of these conferences and see hundreds of people who can easily become your new family, so to speak. We're here to provide education whether you've had it for three weeks or 30 years. There's always something you can learn."
To help patients manage their condition and maintain skin integrity, Medline (Booth #203) will showcase its most popular and innovative solutions, including:
- Medline Remedy® with Phytoplex™: This comprehensive skin care line, specifically for sensitive skin, helps restore skin's natural moisture balance and barrier properties. It uses a blend of all natural ingredients, can nourish and soothe skin and is formulated to be non-sensitizing, non-irritating and hypoallergenic.
- Marathon® Liquid Skin Protectant: A cyanoacrylate-based, no-sting formula that binds to the skin surface to create a long-lasting, breathable barrier. It forms a fully conformable, flexible and remarkably strong protective layer over intact or damaged skin resulting from moisture, bodily fluids, friction and the effects of adhesives. It resists external moisture, yet allows the skin to breathe.
- SurePrep® No-Sting Skin Protectant: The no-sting formula contains no alcohol or synthetic solvents for painless application on damaged or compromised skin. It forms a fast-drying, clear, vapor-permeable, water-resistant coating. For use on all skin types, including periwound skin where product can create a waterproof barrier.
- Fresh Wave Air & Surface Liquid: Fresh Wave IAQ (Indoor Air Quality) products bond with odor molecules and eliminate them completely. The spray is also made with natural, non-toxic and biodegradable ingredients.
- Fresh Wave Odor Eliminator Ostomy Drops: Only a few drops are needed in the ostomy pouch to provide optimal odor control. Drops are especially effective for combating persistent odor problems that may not be avoidable or correctable.
"For many people with an ostomy, peristomal irritation can be a major concern," said Margaret Falconio West, BSN, RN, APN/CNS, CWOCN, DAPWCA, senior vice president of clinical education at Medline. "Liquid skin barriers, no-sting formulas and natural skin creams are easy, effective and early intervention strategies people can adopt to help avoid prolonged skin irritation or future complications."
For more information about Medline's advanced wound care and ostomy products featured at the conference, visit Medline's UOAA booth page.
As the nation's largest privately held manufacturer and distributor of health care products, Medline manufactures and distributes more than 350,000 products to hospitals, extended care facilities, surgery centers, physician offices, home care agencies and providers, and retailers. Named one of the country's "Best and Brightest Companies to Work For," Medline is headquartered in Mundelein, Ill. and has more than 1,100 dedicated sales representatives to support its broad product line and cost management services. For more information on Medline, go to www.medline.com.
The following files are available for download: