|By PR Newswire||
|August 20, 2013 06:10 PM EDT||
Susan Reilly, RES Americas; Arno Harris, Recurrent Energy; Mary Nichols, CARB; Sen. Kevin de León; business leader Tom Steyer discuss California's energy future
SACRAMENTO, Calif., Aug. 20, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Advanced Energy Economy (AEE), a national association of business leaders who are making the global energy system more secure, clean, and affordable, hosted a symposium today to discuss California's industry pathway to 2050, the year in which the state must achieve an 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. This event brought together leaders from the business, political and investment communities to discuss the challenges and opportunities to meet the state's energy goals through advanced energy solutions.
"We stand at the threshold of an enormous economic opportunity," Graham Richard, CEO, AEE, said as he opened the event. "We can't wait for Washington to provide the answers. California must lead the way."
Susan Reilly, CEO, RES Americas and recent appointee to AEE's Board of Directors, followed with opening remarks, saying, "AEE is a strong organization focused on tangible solutions. We are committed to meeting the challenge of transforming our energy industry in California."
In her keynote, Mary Nichols, Chair, California Air Resources Board (CARB) said, "We need a durable policy framework that goes well beyond 2050. California's investment in advanced energy matches that of the federal government. We need to create a long-term vision as well. In my experience, the best public policies set firm goals and unleash the creativity of businesses to meet them."
Panelists and speakers included Kish Rajan, Director, Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development; Martin Sabarsky, CEO, Cellana; Dimitrios Papadogonas, Vice President of Marketing, ChargePoint; Ryan Popple, Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers and Arno Harris, CEO, Recurrent Energy. Topics of the day ranged from how to achieve an integrated energy vision for California, to utilizing advanced transportation to overcome the barriers to successful deployment, to maximizing returns from California's energy finance programs.
In a highlight of the morning, Richard led a spirited fireside chat with the Honorable Kevin de León, California State Senator, and Tom Steyer, business leader and activist, and Co-Founder of Advanced Energy Economy.
"AEE is a game changer," said Sen. de León. "The work that we're doing with AEE will not only reduce our carbon footprint, it will create jobs for Californians."
"California has the most aggressive policy framework of any government in the world," said Steyer. "I'd like California to take our show on the road."
The morning-long symposium included panels of business leaders and government officials addressing an "integrated energy vision for California," overcoming barriers to deployment of advanced transportation solutions, and maximizing returns from California's energy finance programs.
"This event was a great opportunity for California business leaders to come together and help move energy policy forward," said Dimitrios Papadogonas, Vice President of Marketing, ChargePoint, which has created a growing network of charging stations for electric vehicles.
- Arno Harris, CEO, Recurrent Energy
- Michael R. Niggli, President and COO, San Diego Gas & Electric
- Michael Picker, Senior Advisor to Governor Brown for Renewable Energy Facilities
- Josh Richman, Vice President of Business Development, Bloom Energy
- Lauren Casentini, President, Resource Solutions Group
- Sam Blakeslee, Founding Director, Institute for Advanced Technology and Public Policy at Cal Poly
- Ryan Popple, Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers
- Martin Sabarsky, CEO, Cellana
- Andrew Smith, Founder and CEO, ATDynamics
- Curt Augustine, Director of Policy & Government Affairs, Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers
- Dimitrios Papadogonas, Vice President of Marketing, ChargePoint
- Dan Scripps, Vice President of Capital Innovation, Advanced Energy Economy
- Lyndon Rive, Co-founder and CEO, SolarCity
- Dick Fletcher, Executive Vice President and Chief Lending Officer, One PacificCoast Bank
- Gia Schneider, Chairman and CEO, Natel Energy
- Greg Rosen, Chief Investment Officer, Solar Mosaic
- Dan Adler, Managing Director of CalCEF and President of CalCEF Ventures
- Kish Rajan, Director, Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development
About Advanced Energy Economy
Advanced Energy Economy is a national association of businesses and business leaders who are making the global energy system more secure, clean, and affordable. Advanced energy encompasses a broad range of products and services that constitute the best available technologies for meeting energy needs today and tomorrow. AEE's mission is to transform public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses.
SOURCE Advanced Energy Economy (AEE)