|By PR Newswire||
|September 6, 2013 05:59 AM EDT||
GLASGOW, Scotland, September 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
The trade investment team at leading Scottish brewer Tennent Caledonian has scooped the prestigious 'Investor of the Year' accolade at the annual Deals & Dealmakers Awards held at Glasgow's Hilton Hotel last night.
In a competitive field, the win is a recognition of the skill and dedication of the Tennent's team and their work in providing valuable funding of around £20 million to support over 150 pub businesses across Scotland - whether that's for small scale refurbishments or major new business ventures for the leading on-trade operators.
Their focus is on providing attractive, competitive and tailored funding packages to support operators' business plans, coupled with high levels of insight and expertise - all managed by the 3-strong team based at the historic Wellpark Brewery in Glasgow's East End.
The trade investment team's work is part of Tennent Caledonian's ongoing commitment to a thriving on-trade for Scotland, today and in the future.
Commenting on last night's win, the company's Finance Director, Michael Sloan said: 'We have worked very hard at a grass roots level in our industry to develop the right packages for operators, ensuring that our investment strategy really delivers for each individual business plan. As a company, Tennent Caledonian is fully committed to the future success of Scotland's on-trade, at a time when financial support and expert advice are in growing demand. Our reward is seeing ambitious pub businesses flourish but we are also very pleased to see our team recognised in the broader business community with this award.'
A spokesperson for the Deals & Dealmakers Awards commented: 'Tennent Caledonian is operating in a tough sector and they are working really hard to maintain their client base and work alongside clients as a long term strategic partner, which is not that common. They have been clever with their approach, in that they have moved on from the old fashioned brewers loans into actually taking some equity.'
Notes to editors
- The Tennent's business has been brewing since 1556 at the historic Wellpark Brewery in the east end of Glasgow - built by H&R Tennent and today the oldest running commercial concern in Glasgow
- Founded in 1885, Tennent's Lager is known as an industry pioneer, recognised as being the first commercial lager to be produced to scale in Scotland (and one of the first in the UK) and at the forefront of introducing canned and draught lager to the UK
- The brand is renowned for its iconic 'Red T' logo and for its innovative marketing campaigns, including some of Scotland's most memorable and entertaining advertising
- In November 2010 the business opened its Tennent's Training Academy on-site at Wellpark. This state-of-the-art facility provides high quality industry training that is accessible for the entire industry - not just for Tennent's customers
- In October 2011, Tennent Caledonian launched a major new beer brand for Scotland - Caledonia Best - made with 100 per cent Scottish barley
- In March 2012 Scotland's First Minister the Right Honourable Alex Salmond MSP opened a new £4 million bottling line at Wellpark Brewery
- In April 2012 Tennent Caledonian launched a new premium export lager for the Scottish market: Tennent's Original Export - brewed in Glasgow using the finest natural ingredients.
- In July 2012 Tennent Caledonian was awarded a series of gold, silver and bronze medals at two of the toughest global beer quality challenges: the Monde Selection in Belgium and the International Beer Challenge. Three of the business's new brands fared well in the competitions, with five medals awarded for Tennent's Original Export (UK market), and Tennent's Scotch Ale / Tennent's Extra (Italian market).
- On 14th September 2012, Tennents celebrated the achievement of Scotland's athletes by producing a limited edition commemorative bottle of its award winning Tennent's Original Export Lager and donating 5p / pint from all sales of Tennent's Lager, Caledonia Best and Tennent's Original Export on the day of the Olympians Parade in Glasgow. This initiative saw £16,000 raised for Capability Scotland.