|By Business Wire||
|October 2, 2013 09:08 AM EDT||
Molex Incorporated today announced that in fiscal year 2013 it experienced double-digit growth in its global medical business. The company attributes this to an expanded product portfolio and customer base. Molex continues to deliver pioneering interconnect solutions to medical original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) around the globe, providing them with solutions that can easily be incorporated into the most groundbreaking healthcare products. The company will showcase solutions for applications in implantable invasive, diagnostic imaging, therapeutic, surgical and patient monitoring at MD&M Minneapolis, October 29 – 30, booth 1518. Additionally, Hank Mancini, marketing manager for Molex subsidiary Affinity Medical, will participate in a Tech Theater session on Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 2:30pm-3pm to discuss the considerations a manufacturer must address when choosing a connector and mating receptacle for a new device.
“Our mission is to develop technologies that specifically address the unique challenges confronting medical device design engineers,” said Anthony Kalaijakis, strategic medical market manager, Molex. “Customers that include Molex as part of the design process are going to benefit from our deep wealth of interconnect expertise, allowing them to get the best performance out of our products as well as their own solution.”
Contributing to the company’s growth was the strategic acquisition of Affinity Medical Technologies, LLC (www.affinitymed.com). Specializing in customized interconnects for next-generation healthcare devices the company’s portfolio includes custom connector and cable design and manufacturing. Applications include electrophysiology (EP), ECG, dental, Holter and ambulatory monitoring; ventricular assist devices; disposable and reusable catheter cables and invasive blood pressure cables; bulkhead receptacles and device-to-device interface cables.
In addition to achieving significant sales and growth goals, Molex has added multiple technologies that enable medical OEMs to deliver cutting edge products to their customers. For example:
- Molex Printed Circuit Assemblies: Low-profile, custom assemblies offer tactile silicone membrane graphic overlays, copper flex or polyimide circuitry and micro-board components with LEDs embedded under an embossed window for a wider viewing angle, increased visual brightness, decreased light bleed, improved assembly and easier use of curved surfaces.
- Balanced Armature Audio Receivers: Ideal for hearing-aid and cardiac rhythm disease management devices, the customizable technology allows OEMs to adjust impedance or other specifications to meet design requirements while offering substantially more sound output per unit size and cleaner mid-range sound compared to traditional dynamic-style receivers.
- Temp-Flex® Specialty Wire: The micro-miniature wire, cable and continuous coils use biomedical coating and medical grade base metals. Temp-Flex supports Molex in developing technologies that provide medical device manufacturers with the maximum in product efficiency, reliability and flexibility for the ultimate in patient care. Temp-Flex capabilities have expanded to include cut and strip; cut, strip, twist and tin dip and micro-coaxial cable prep.
- FCT Electronics Group: With a focus on design and manufacturing of custom mixed-layout connectors and cable assemblies, FCT Electronics Group helps Molex build on its ability to provide customized solutions to a broader range of customers.
Other Molex products on display at MD&M Minneapolis include:
- Capacitive Fluid Level Sensors: Ensuring precise fluid-level measurements and lower set-up costs, fluid level sensors easily mount to the outside of a non-metallic container. The custom design can use a traditional printed circuit board or a flexible circuit to accommodate curved surfaces. The sensor includes customized embedded software, which can be configured for auto-calibration or manual calibration to maximize the accuracy.
- MediSpec™ Hybrid Circular MT Cable and Receptacle System: An integrated optical and electrical solution that reduces the number of connectors required in medical equipment and devices.
- MediSpec™ Molded Interconnect Device/Laser Direct Structuring (MID/LDS) Capabilities: Combines the versatility of the two-shot molding process and the speed and precision of LDS capabilities helping medical device designers integrate complex electrical and mechanical features into highly compact applications.
- Copper Flexible Circuit Products: The products provide solutions for packaging in tight spaces and harsh environments, ranging from high-speed signals to power connections, and offer the flexibility needed for advanced medical monitoring and diagnostic devices.
- Resistive Touch Screens: Offer the optimum design flexibility and cost selection with a range of options for screen materials. A flexible top surface recognizes touch with a gloved finger while providing pin-point accuracy.
- Polymicro Specialty Optical Fiber and Capillary Tubing: Multiple medical applications are available from the world’s leading supplier of silica capillary tubing and specialty optical fibers, optical fiber and capillary assemblies, discrete micro components and quartz optical fiber ferrules.
- Micro Products: Molex emphasizes not only making interconnects smaller, but delivering a higher level of performance, reliability and durability. Its microminiature, stacking, board-to-board connectors are ideal for the thinnest hand-held devices and provide OEMs with a range of high-speed options that deliver flexibility to meet the tight packaging needs found in medical applications.
For more information please visit www.molex.com/industry/medical.html. To receive information on other Molex products and industry solutions, please sign up for our e-nouncement newsletter at www.molex.com/link/register/.
About Molex Incorporated
Providing more than connectors, Molex delivers complete interconnect solutions for a number of markets including: data communications, telecommunications, consumer electronics, industrial, automotive, commercial vehicle, aerospace and defense, medical, and lighting. Established in 1938, the company operates 41 manufacturing locations in 15 countries. The Molex website is www.molex.com. Follow us at www.twitter.com/molexconnectors, watch our videos at www.youtube.com/molexconnectors, connect with us at www.facebook.com/molexconnectorsand read our blog at www.connector.com.
Molex is a registered trademark of Molex Incorporated.