|By Marketwired .||
|October 22, 2013 03:30 PM EDT||
ATLANTA, GA and HOUSTON, TX--(Marketwired - October 22, 2013) - With more than 35 percent of adults and 17 percent of children and adolescents in America considered obese, it's clear that people need better resources to help them eat healthier. Unfortunately, the overwhelming amount of information online about the latest fad diets and self-proclaimed "miracle" supplements doesn't always help foster healthier habits.
To help people find the right nutrition advice, Sharecare, the online health and wellness engagement platform founded by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Jeff Arnold, today named the Top 10 Social HealthMakers on Nutrition. Announced by Arnold, chairman and CEO of Sharecare, during the closing keynote at the Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo, these 10 experts are helping people make sense of being healthier -- and have fun while doing it:
- Lisa Leake, 100 Days of Real Food: A wife, mother, foodie and blogger, Leake chronicles her family's journey as they seek out the real food in our processed food world. Millions worldwide read her blog.
- Mark Sisson, Mark's Daily Apple: Mark Sisson, a former distance runner, triathlete and Ironman competitor, is the man behind this blog and forum for people to investigate, discuss and rethink everything assumed to be true about health and wellness.
- Dana White, Food Network's Healthy Eats: White is a founding contributor for Food Network's Healthy Eats blog and an associate clinical professor of athletic training at Quinnipiac University. Her recipes have been featured in Shape, Seventeen and on CookingLight.com.
- Shereen Jegtvig, About.com Nutrition: Jegtvig, who left a 16-year clinical practice to focus on reaching a larger audience, now writes about nutrition for About.com and teaches at the University of Bridgeport. She is also co-author of Superfoods for Dummies and Clinical Anatomy for Dummies.
- Jamie Oliver : A television phenomenon, Oliver inspires people worldwide to enjoy growing and preparing their own food. His programs can be seen in more than 100 countries.
- Andrew Weil, MD : An internationally recognized expert on healthy lifestyles, New York Times bestselling author Dr. Weil is founder and director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine and editorial director of DrWeil.com.
- Jennipher Walters, Fit Bottomed Girls: White is co-founder of the website Fit Bottomed Girls, featuring fitness content emphasizing physical activity and sensible eating. An ACE-certified personal trainer, health coach and advanced health and fitness specialist, she has written for Shape and Yahoo! Shine.
- Ashley Koff, RD, The Huffington Post: An internationally renowned registered Dietician (RD), Koff created her "Ashley Koff Approved" (AKA) Lists to help consumers identify products meeting a high standard of nutrition. She also writes for The Huffington Post.
- Lisa Lillien, Hungry Girl: Lillien turned her appetite for better-for-you food finds, recipes and swaps into a free daily email service with more than a million subscribers, a successful book series and a hit cooking show that airs on the Food Network and the Cooking Channel.
- Mark Hyman, MD, The Ultrawellness Center: Dedicated to identifying and addressing the root causes of chronic illness, six-time New York Times bestselling author Dr. Hyman is a family physician and founder and medical director of The Ultrawellness Center.
More information about the Top 10 Social HealthMakers on Nutrition can be found at www.sharecare.com/static/top-ten-social-healthmakers.
Methodology: Sharecare Social HealthMakers are among the most influential people in health and wellness on the web, driving conversations on the leading edge of many health topics. They address a wide range of issues within specific topic areas while demonstrating consistent impact across multiple interactive channels-such as Twitter, Facebook, videos and blogs. This impact is measured through a proprietary algorithm based on more than 100 individual metrics developed and powered by WCG, the leading digital marketing and communications agency, quantifying topic relevance, syndication, presence and reach. Earlier Sharecare lists have identified Social HealthMakers in weight loss, infertility, heart disease, fitness, Alzheimer's disease and more.
Sharecare is a health and wellness social engagement platform that helps people to live healthier lives by connecting them to personalized resources including high-quality information from national experts, interactive tools and local healthcare providers. The power behind the site is its groundbreaking and popular, scientifically-based health risk assessment, the RealAge® Test, taken by more than 30 million people since its inception in 1998, and a unique, social Q&A format that provides the collective wisdom of America's top experts -- greatly simplifying the search for health information. Created by Jeff Arnold and Dr. Mehmet Oz in partnership with Harpo Productions, Sony Pictures Television and Discovery Communications, Sharecare allows people to ask, learn and act upon questions of health and wellness, creating an active community where knowledge is shared and put into practice -- simply said, sharing care. Launched in 2010, Sharecare is based in Atlanta, GA.
Founded and led by chairman and CEO Jim Weiss, WCG is focused on integrated business solutions in the areas of innovation, change and growth for the world's leading companies and brands. WCG serves clients through a network of offices in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Austin, Los Angeles and London. For more than a decade, WCG's seasoned professionals have specialized in providing analytics, content, engagement and strategy to a diverse set of clients across the consumer, technology, healthcare and pharmaceutical industries.
The following files are available for download: