|By Marketwired .||
|November 12, 2013 10:56 AM EST||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 11/12/13 -- One of the first things we learn to say in any foreign language is "where's the bathroom?" Clearly, the need to go is a common bond for cultures around the world. Fortunately, this universal necessity has been addressed with panache in many places, leading the travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, to compile its list of Cool Loos You Can Use: Top 10 Public Toilets Worth Talking About. These are all spots where, when Mother Nature calls, you will have a one-of-kind experience when you answer.
Make your next pit stop an interesting one by checking out one of these five cool loos to make our list that offer great views, works of art, technological innovation and more:
- Graben Toilets, Vienna, Austria - It may feel like you're entering a subway station when you head toward these underground toilets along the Graben (one of Vienna's most famous streets), but these loos are actually lovely. Vienna didn't always have the best track record when it came to public bathroom options, but a proposal from Wilhelm Beetz helped change that in the late 19th century. In these bathrooms, which are near Kohlmarkt, you'll be treated not only to attractive toilets, but also to brass fixtures, marble walls and wood paneling, as well as some cool tile work. The men's side features waterless urinals -- Beetz's brainchild.
- Mount McKinley Toilet, Alaska, United States - This "potty" takes the word public to a new level. Perched 14,200 feet up on Alaska's Mount McKinley, this john stands on its own surrounded by nothing more than three wooden slabs and plenty of ice and snow. Hiking to this toilet won't be easy, and there's still more than 6,000 feet to go from here to reach McKinley's summit. Once you arrive, you'll be in for a bathroom break that will make you say 'brrrr,' after all, this loo is largely open to the elements. But the novelty of the experience and the view of Mt. Foraker you'll be treated to will do their best to help you forget about the wind and sub-zero temperatures.
- Hundertwasser Public Toilets, Kawakawa, New Zealand - Some visitors stop at the Hundertwasser toilets not to pee, but just to take pictures. Located along State Highway 1 in the rural area of Kawakawa on the North Island, these public toilets were designed by late artist-architect Frederick Hundertwasser. Built in the late 1990s, these bathrooms feature bricks from a former Bank of New Zealand building, a living tree, tile mosaics, curvy columns and walls embedded with glass bottles. The facility, which is topped off with a grass roof, is a can't-miss collage of colors and interesting materials. Hundertwasser died a few years after the bathroom was completed, making this his final project and only piece of work in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Pop-Up Toilets, Europe - When you gotta go, you gotta go -- and some European cities are taking this need for instant gratification seriously. Places like London and Amsterdam are curbing public urination with a futuristic solution -- toilets that emerge from the ground during the nighttime hours then retract and disappear during the day. A company called Urilift is producing these cylindrical lavatories that look like something out of "The Jetsons." They've started with walk-in urinals and have now moved on to pop-up loos with doors for the ladies. Other types of portable urinals have also been popping up across Europe for more than a decade.
- Daimaru Department Store, Tokyo, Japan - From the folks who brought us Toto, one of the world's high-end toilet brands, come the commodes of the Daimaru Department Store. The public bathrooms here are outfitted with -- you guessed it -- Toto toilets. The shopping destination has 13 floors, each of which has its own bathroom designed to match the floor's atmosphere. These aren't your standard toilets, though. They have everything from heated seats to sound effects (to mask typical bathroom noises), and they feature a self-cleaning mechanism, complete with temperature-controlled water.
The next five loos to round out the list are: Public Bathroom, Chongqing, China; Glass Bathrooms at Downtown Square, Sulphur Springs, Texas, United States; Chung Yo Department Store Bathrooms, Taichung City, Taiwan; Rothesay's Victorian Toilets, Isle of Bute, Scotland and Urquiza Public Toilets, Rosario, Argentina. To read the twinkling details on these in Cheapflights.com's Cool Loos You Can Use: Top 10 Public Toilets Worth Talking About visit www.cheapflights.com/news/cool-loos-you-can-use-top-10-public-toilets-worth-talking-about.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 13 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 20 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2455573
Participants will reach the final if their IoT solution is liked. A community vote will determine the best solutions submitted in each country, after which an expert jury will select the national winners and the best international IoT solution. Each country's best solution can win a national marketing campaign worth up to €30,000 and become a partner in Deutsche Telekom's participating markets. The winning international solution can become partner of Deutsche Telekom Group across all eight coun...
Apr. 28, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,252
Recent technology advances in miniaturization has positioned the wearables as the pinnacle of technology convergence with the human body. We inquire if wearables are mere standard miniaturized devices extended with the connectivity and present our views on considerations like design, applications, performance, efficiency, interoperability, usage scenarios, human device interaction and consequent trade-offs enabling wearables to impart optimal value.
Apr. 28, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,174
In this session we look at creating interactive communications via the web by adding messaging, file transfer, and group communication (group chat and audio/video conferencing) into the web experience. We will also discuss potential applications of this technology in areas including B2B, B2C, P2P, and gaming. Peter is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch dev...
Apr. 28, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,232
WebRTC Summit has announced today that Peter Dunkley has been named summit chair of WebRTC Summit 2015 New York. The 4th International WebRTC Summit will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in Manhattan, New York. @ThingsExpo anticipates 90% of WebRTC companies & developers will monetize their products & services through IoT by 2016. Peter Dunkley is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science...
Apr. 28, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,194
SYS-CON Events announced today the DevOps Foundation Certification Course, being held June ?, 2015, in conjunction with DevOps Summit and 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. This sixteen (16) hour course provides an introduction to DevOps – the cultural and professional movement that stresses communication, collaboration, integration and automation in order to improve the flow of work between software developers and IT operations professionals. Improved workflows will res...
Apr. 28, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,537
BroadSoft on Tuesday announced that it is a recipient of the 2014 Frost & Sullivan Market Leadership Award in the Hosted/Cloud Internet Protocol (IP) Telephony market for Latin America. According to Frost & Sullivan market research, the Latin America (LATAM) hosted/cloud Internet Protocol (IP) telephony market, including integrated unified communications and collaboration (UC&C) applications, is currently experiencing a rapid growth trajectory and is expected to exhibit a tenfold rise in annual...
Apr. 28, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,405
SOASTA, the leader in performance analytics, today reported record growth of the CloudTest community, exceeding 30,000 registered users of the CloudTest platform in Q1 2015. SOASTA also announced widespread adoption of its Web and mobile testing solutions, with more than 1,600 customers completing more than 285,000 tests using CloudTest during the quarter. This rapid growth shows that DevOps-driven digital businesses are embracing a more continuous approach to testing, and CloudTest is meeting t...
Apr. 28, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,578
Apr. 28, 2015 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,390
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabili...
Apr. 28, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,923
Sonus Networks introduced the Sonus WebRTC Services Solution, a virtualized Web Real-Time Communications (WebRTC) offer, purpose-built for the Cloud. The WebRTC Services Solution provides signaling from WebRTC-to-WebRTC applications and interworking from WebRTC-to-Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), delivering advanced real-time communications capabilities on mobile applications and on websites, which are accessible via a browser.
Apr. 28, 2015 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,004
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things...
Apr. 28, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,334
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Apr. 28, 2015 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,051
“With easy-to-use SDKs for Atmel’s platforms, IoT developers can now reap the benefits of realtime communication, and bypass the security pitfalls and configuration complexities that put IoT deployments at risk,” said Todd Greene, founder & CEO of PubNub. PubNub will team with Atmel at CES 2015 to launch full SDK support for Atmel’s MCU, MPU, and Wireless SoC platforms. Atmel developers now have access to PubNub’s secure Publish/Subscribe messaging with guaranteed ¼ second latencies across PubN...
Apr. 28, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,883
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vicom Computer Services, Inc., a provider of technology and service solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. They are located at booth #427. Vicom Computer Services, Inc. is a progressive leader in the technology industry for over 30 years. Headquartered in the NY Metropolitan area. Vicom provides products and services based on today’s requirements...
Apr. 28, 2015 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,767
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the ...
Apr. 28, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,665