|By Business Wire||
|December 3, 2013 04:00 AM EST||
ECI Telecom, a global provider of next-generation network solutions, has been selected by SWITCH, the non-profit organization providing backbone services to Swiss universities’ networks, to deploy a next-generation optical network. The new DWDM network, based on the Apollo family of Optimized Multi-Layer Transport (OMLT) platforms, will offer both 10G and 100G connectivity to universities and educational institutes in the country.
- SWITCH was the first Internet provider in Switzerland. Today, it develops Internet services for lecturers, researchers and students, connecting all universities in the country. The organization operates its own high-speed fiber-optic network connecting all Swiss universities and major national and international research institutions in Switzerland for the dependable exchange of data.
- ECI was selected after an extensive tender process, with specific technical and non-standard requirements.
- ECI will deploy a multi-degree colorless and directionless ROADM WDM network, with 88 channels supporting 10G/100G customized services.
- Since its founding in 1961, ECI has provided leading service providers and network operators with the most innovative and advanced networking solutions in the market.
“With the new ECI Apollo transport system running on a substantially extended core backbone, SWITCHlan will be in a comfortable position to quickly provide Terabits of capacity between its backbone nodes all over the country. The Apollo system’s inherent optical switching capability allows to easily reroute our traffic streams in case of damage to a backbone fiber. We are particularly pleased to see how well the new system is able to coexist with local links sharing the fibers – using an unusual but simple setup of versatile, passive optics along the existing backbone fiber routes.”
Felix Kugler, Network engineer, SWITCH
“SWITCH has established itself as a leading provider of high-capacity
and advanced services to its research and educational members, who
expect the highest standards of connectivity and cyber-security. With
our proven experience in providing customized solutions to national
research and educational networks (NRENs), we are looking forward to
providing SWITCH with the network it needs to cater to its customers’
Christian Erbe, General Manager for DACH, ECI Telecom GmbH
Apollo 40G/100G Coherent Solutions (White paper)
Apollo Family (Brochure)
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS
- Become a fan of ECI Telecom on Facebook
- Follow ECI Telecom news updates on Twitter
- High-resolution graphics are available for download at Flickr
As a partner of the universities, SWITCH brought the Internet to Switzerland 25 years ago. Today, the non-profit organization with 100 employees at its headquarters in Zurich develops Internet services for lecturers, researchers and students, as well as for commercial customers. For more information, visit www.switch.ch.
ABOUT ECI TELECOM
ECI Telecom delivers innovative communications platforms to carriers and service providers worldwide. ECI provides efficient platforms and solutions that enable customers to rapidly deploy cost-effective, revenue-generating services. Founded in 1961, Israel-based ECI has consistently delivered customer-focused networking solutions to the world’s largest carriers. The Company is also a market leader in many emerging markets. ECI provides scalable broadband access, transport and data networking infrastructure that provides the foundation for the communications of tomorrow, including next-generation voice, IPTV, mobility and other business solutions. For more information, visit www.ecitele.com.