|By PR Newswire||
|December 3, 2013 05:32 PM EST||
SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Women's Foundation of California announced today that it has created a new video that shows the challenges facing low-income women in California, while proposing solutions to improve their lives. One in three single mothers in California is living in poverty. This two minute animated video was created especially to tell that shocking story on #GivingTuesday, a national day of giving and recognition of the power of each and every person to help improve the world. Watch it here: https://vimeo.com/80846270
The Foundation is participating through the Razoo crowdfunding platform. To incentivize giving, an inspired giving circle member provided a $20,000 match. Every dollar donated, up to $20,000, will be matched.
"We're pleased to participate in #GivingTuesday and Razoo's national giving competition this year. None of us can make change alone. #GivingTuesday spotlights the importance of all us acting with generosity to solve problems like poverty," said Judy Patrick, CEO and President of the Women's Foundation of California.
The Foundation has a three-pronged approach to advancing economic security for low-income women and children.
1) Hosting giving circles, which consist of individuals who pool their resources, learn together, and make strategic grants to women-led organizations;
2) Training grassroots women leaders through the Foundation's Women's Policy Institute to work with legislators and create public policies that benefit low-income women and
3) Advocating to strengthen safety net programs like subsidized child care and welfare-to-work that enable women and families to make ends meet during hard times.
The Women's Foundation of California will use all gifts received during #GivingTuesday to do critical work such as:
- Investing in organizations that support women and women-led solutions to ending poverty.
- Training women to lead policy change efforts in Sacramento and in their local communities.
- Fighting for good jobs that provide living wages and benefits and
- Ensuring that the safety net is there when women and families need it.
About the Women's Foundation of California:
The Women's Foundation of California is a publicly supported grant making foundation that invests in women as a key strategy for creating a California where all communities are economically secure and can thrive.
Video with caption: "California is the ninth largest economy in the world, but one in four of its children is living in poverty. Our job market is recovering, but one in three single mothers is barely making ends meet. Our research revealed that women and children are the invisible victims of the Great Recession. As recently as 2012, women's unemployment lagged behind those of men and the jobs most single mothers could find were part-time, minimum and low-wage jobs." Video available at: http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/origin/multivu_archive/PRNA/ENR/FX-MM27174-2013123-1.mp4
SOURCE Women's Foundation of California