|By Business Wire||
|December 10, 2013 02:38 PM EST||
IDC Retail Insights today hosted a Web conference, IDC Retail Insights 2014 Predictions: Worldwide Retail, highlighting the top 10 predictions for the year ahead. Featuring analysts Robert Parker, Greg Girard, Leslie Hand and Spencer Izard, the session provided organizations with insight and perspective on long-term industry trends along with new themes that may be on the horizon. The Predictions Web Conference Series is designed to help company leaders capitalize on emerging market opportunities and plan for future growth. An audio replay of today's Web conference will be available within 12 hours. To access the replay, please visit: http://bit.ly/IDCRI_WWRetail_Predictions2014
- ClicktoTweet: IDC Retail Insights Releases Top 10 Predictions for 2014
The IDC Retail Insights Top 10 Predictions for 2014 are:
- Prediction 1 - In 2014, fast-followers will chase the 50 global retailers already transforming store, mobile, and ecommerce channels, supply chains, merchandising, and marketing for the omni-channel customer experience.
- Prediction 2 - Business transformation will drive ERP, core merchandising, FAR, and planning investment to a 9% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) through 2015.
- Prediction 3 - By 2016, leading retailers will improve same-shopper sales with immersive commerce driving additional revenue growth of 1.5% and margin growth of an additional 3%.
- Prediction 4 - By 2017, marketing and advertising technology investment will increase by 50%.
- Prediction 5 - Retailers will narrow and enable big data and analytics (BDA) projects in 2014 as 20%-30% of projects fell short in 2013.
- Prediction 6 - Emerging consumer privacy concerns will force 50% of early adopters to revisit hyper-personalized promotions by 2015.
- Prediction 7 - E-commerce and store platform replacements that enable mobile, integrated, and interactive experiences will support a 10% CAGR in commerce investment through 2017.
- Prediction 8 - As product assortment refresh cycles quicken, 25% of mid-sized retailers will initiate new product lifecycle management (PLM) or sourcing projects in 2014.
- Prediction 9 - Retailers will double the rate of industry supply chain investments in 2014, as compared to 2013.
- Prediction 10 - By 2016, 50% of national retailers, will invest in distributed order management, enterprise inventory visibility, and workforce management to enable same day fulfillment.
"In the next three years, retail will reinvent itself as omni-channel leaders reach for customer relationship, relevancy, and reciprocity. A new replacement cycle of enterprise, planning, and commerce systems will anchor complex company-wide business transformation for immersive experience and commerce. Quick-to-market leaders will improve same-shopper sales--fast becoming the most significant leading indicator of future performance," said Robert Parker, IDC Retail, Energy and Manufacturing Group Vice President and General Manager. "We expect renewed investment in the narrower but transformative capabilities of PLM and sourcing, marketing and advertising, and big data and analytics."
For additional information about these predictions or to arrange a one-on-one briefing, please contact Sarah Murray at 781-378-2674 or [email protected]. Reports are available to qualified members of the media. For information on purchasing reports, contact [email protected]; reporters should email [email protected].
About IDC Predictions
A hallmark of IDC's offering for three decades, the annual Top 10 Predictions reports provide IDC's outlook on the IT market, across industries, for the coming year. During the next 60 days, IDC will publish dozens of Top 10 Predictions documents and host more than 50 events looking ahead at 2014. Please visit www.idc.com/predictions2014 for a complete listing.
About IDC Retail Insights
IDC Retail Insights assists retail businesses and IT leaders, as well as the suppliers who serve them, in making more effective technology decisions by providing accurate, timely, and insightful fact-based research and consulting services. Staffed by senior analysts with decades of industry experience, our global research analyzes and advises on business and technology issues facing the retail industry. International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology market. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology, media, research, and events company. For more information, please visit www.idc-ri.com, email [email protected], or call 508-935-4490. Visit the IDC Retail Insights Community at http://idc-insights-community.com/retail.