|By RealWire News Distribution||
|December 14, 2013 01:09 AM EST||
Facebook won the major industry award for its radical design in building a super-efficient mega scale data center in Luleå, Northern Sweden.
The design adopted by Facebook has allowed for a far more energy efficient operation based on using 100% fresh air cooling. This was recognised by a panel of industry experts when it won the accolade for Innovation in the Mega Data Center at the DatacenterDynamics EMEA Awards in London last night.
"DatacenterDynamics are leaders in the data centre industry and so winning this is huge recognition for us. We're delighted with our involvement in DatacenterDynamics and being part of the data centre industry is very important to us," said Niall McEntegart, Datacenter Operations Europe, Facebook.
Facebook designed each of the components within the facility including software, servers, equipment cabinets, electrical systems and cooling fans to drive maximum efficiency.
The gala event, held at the Lancaster Hotel in London was hosted by top comedian and actor, Vic Reeves who kept the 600 strong audience of data center industry leaders highly entertained and who remains none-the-wiser about what a data center is or does.
The following companies also picked up awards:
- Asetek, Inc - 'Future Thinking and Design Concepts'
- ttsp hwp seidel GmbH - 'Data Center Blueprints'
- Enagas - 'Innovation in the Micro-Data Center'
- Colt - 'Innovation in the Medium-Data Center'
- Facebook - 'Innovation in the Mega-Data Center'
- Colt - 'Improved Data Center Energy Efficiency'
- UKFast - 'Innovation in Outsourcing'
- Servicio de Madrileño de Salud - 'Leadership in the Public Sector'
- Green Mountain Data Centre - 'The Green Data Center'
- French Customs and Excise Office - DNSCE - 'Innovation in IT Optimisation'
- Cannon Technologies Limited - 'The Most Extreme Data Center Deployment'
- Alexander Nock - 'Young Mission Critical Engineer of the Year'
- Bank of New York Mellon - 'Data Center Special Assignment Team of the Year'
Two individual awards were also made on the night.
The Data Center Business Leader of the Year Award went to Franek Sodzawiczny of Zenium
The Outstanding Contribution to the Industry Award was made to Emma Fryer of TechUK whose tireless campaigning led directly to recognition for the UK data center industry under the Government's Climate Change Agreement. This was announced last week by Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne in his Autumn statement.
DatacenterDynamics, part of the DCD Group, is a premier full service B2B information provider, offering a comprehensive product and service portfolio tailored specifically for the data center industry through its divisions: Media, Events, Intelligence and Performance.
The Media Division features the world's only global publication for the data center market, DatacenterDynamics FOCUS Magazine, along with multimedia offerings, webinars, and a renowned awards program recognizing innovation in the industry.
The Events Division incorporates DatacenterDynamics core event offering, the Converged conference series presently running in 48 locations around the globe, along with FOCUS On and Intelligence Seminars.
The Intelligence Division offers an array of market research, business intelligence, analysis and reporting services; and The Performance division provides DCProfessional Development training courses and certification.
Richard Bell/Joe Hawke - firstname.lastname@example.org