|By PR Newswire||
|December 15, 2013 11:49 PM EST||
ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The AKC/Eukanuba National Championship Best in Show honors and $50,000 in prize money went to GCH CH Claircreek Impression de Matisse, a Portuguese Water Dog known as "Matisse" owned by Milan Lint, Peggy Helming and Donna Gottdenker of New York, New York. Before an enthusiastic crowd at the Orange County Convention Center Sunday night, "Matisse" was crowned "National Champion" by Best in Show judge Mrs. Barbara Dempsey Alderman after a weekend of exciting competition.
The AKC/Eukanuba National Championship, one of the most prestigious dog shows in the world, was joined by a range of canine sporting events under one roof including the Eukanuba World Challenge; the AKC Agility Invitational; the AKC Obedience Classic; the AKC Owner-Handled Series Final; Junior events in conformation, obedience and agility; and the Orlando cluster shows. The five-day dog celebration topped all other dog events in the nation with over 16,300 combined entries.
Spectators also enjoyed the nation's largest canine extravaganza, Celebrate Dogs!, which featured dozens of dog-centric activities like AKC Meet the Breeds®, Eukanuba Dock Dogs, and a canine shopping mall with holiday gifts for dog lovers.
Missed a competition? More than 300 hours of video event coverage is available at http://live.eukanuba.com/, including daytime breed judging, agility, obedience, Groups, Best in Show and special presentations!
Reserve Best in Show and Group Winners
Reserve Best in Show: GCH CH Afterall Painting the Sky, a Wire Fox Terrier known as "Sky" owned by Victor Malzoni, Jr., Torie Steele, Scott & Mary Olund, and Diane Ryan of Rialto, California.
After winning Best of Breed competitions the following top dogs went on to win in their respective groups and compete for Best in Show:
Sporting: GCH CH Whistlestop's Riley on Fire, an Irish Water Spaniel known as "Riley" owned by Tom and Bethany Urban and Gregory Siner of Issaquah, Washington.
Hound: GCH CH Kiarry's Pandora's Box, an American Foxhound known as "Jewel" owned by Ellen Charles and Lisa Miller of Washington, D.C.
Working: GCH CH Claircreek Impression de Matisse, a Portuguese Water Dog known as "Matisse" owned by Milan Lint, Peggy Helming and Donna Gottdenker of New York, New York.
Terrier: GCH CH Afterall Painting The Sky, a Wire Fox Terrier known as "Sky" owned by Victor Malzoni, Jr., Torie Steele, Scott & Mary Olund, and Diane Ryan of Rialto, California.
Toy: GCH CH Yakee Easily Persuaded, a Pekingese known as "Rodger" owned by Sandra Middlebrooks and David Fitzpatrick of East Berlin, Pennsylvania.
Non-Sporting: GCH CH Dawin Hearts on Fire, a Standard Poodle known as "Flame" owned by Linda C. Campbell of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Herding: GCH CH Wolf Creek Galaxy Of Merivern, a German Shepherd Dog known as "Fritz" owned by Edward Farrell & Pat Walker of Potomac, Maryland.
Other top-dogs awarded during the two-day event included the following:
Eukanuba World Challenge
This international event featured 44 top winning dogs from six continents. Afterglow Maverick Sabre, a Standard Poodle representing the United Kingdom and owned by Jason Lynn & M & MJ Stone of Lancashire, England, was awarded a hefty purse of $10,000 along with the title of "Eukanuba World Challenge Champion."
Best Bred-By-Exhibitor in Show
GCH CH Bugaboo's Picture Perfect, an Old English Sheepdog known as "Swagger" was awarded Best Bred-By-Exhibitor in Show, edging out more than 930 dogs representing 24 percent of the total competitors entered in the "Bred-By Exhibitor" competition. "Swagger's" owners Colton & Heather Johnson of Colorado Springs, Colorado and Ron Scott and Debbie Burke of Dilsburg, Pennsylvania were awarded a $15,000 cash prize.
Best in Miscellaneous Group
Dynasty's Triple Crown, a Miniature American Shepherd known as "Remi" owned by Kimberly Johnson and Fran Withers of Hinesville, Georgia.
In the Junior Showmanship competition, for handlers from between 9 to 18 years of age, Katelynn Edgecombe with her Pug Ch. Luna's Timeliss Lara Croft of Cantu was awarded the coveted title of Best Junior Handler, along with a $2,000 scholarship.
Agility and Obedience Competitions
The 2013 AKC Obedience Classic and the AKC Agility Invitational were held in conjunction with the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship. The two events demonstrate the highest level of training and teamwork between dog and handler. This year's inaugural AKC Obedience Classic is a first of its kind for AKC, offering all regular levels of obedience classes at a national level. Obedience and agility competitions for junior handlers were held for the third year.
AKC Obedience Classic
Four obedience dogs and their owners – one dog/handler team in each of the four classes – were crowned at the AKC Obedience Classic, which brought together 248 dogs from across the country and beyond.
Placing first in their class (Novice, Open, Utility and Masters respectively) were:
Novice: Goldstar Micah CD, a Golden Retriever owned by Ms. Judy Rasmuson and Ms. Constance Cleveland of Madison, Florida.
Open: Darkside's Luke At Ewe CDX, a Border Collie owned by Meredith Garrett, Jr. and Roberta Garrett of Chesapeake, Virginia.
Utility: Kanosak's Uptown Girl UDX OM1 BN GN RE OA OAJ, a Golden Retriever owned by Lynn K. Bauer of Maple Park, Illinois.
Masters: Starlite's A Time To Remember UDX10 OGM VER RN AX AXJ, a Shetland Sheepdog owned by Sandy Ganz and Christy Calkins of Ballwin, Missouri.
AKC National Juniors Obedience Competition
Juniors who participated in the AKC National Juniors Obedience Competition competed in two divisions (Obedience Junior Titled (OJT) – where the Junior earned all the titles on the dog that met the requirements and Obedience Junior Handler (OJH) – where the Junior may handle any dog that met the requirements) and two age groups (Level I: 13 and under; and Level II: 14-18 as of October 30, 2013) in the Beginner Novice, Novice and Open classes twice, based on their AKC obedience accomplishments.
Placing first in their divisions were:
Obedience Junior Titled (OJT)
- Level I Beginner Novice: Krista Baker and Maximus Tank, a Poodle
- Level II Beginner Novice: Sarah Saddoris and Topbrass The Greatest Show On Earth, a Golden Retriever
- Level I Novice: Abby Stark and Drumlin's Fuji Made For Pictures CD BN RN, a Shetland Sheepdog
- Level II Novice: Breanna Durham and Nike D the Perfect Fit For Me CD, an Australian Shepherd
- Level II Open: Brianne Farr and Powerhouse Cash It All In CDX BN GO RE NA, a Border Collie
Obedience Junior Handler (OJH)
- Level I Beginner Novice: Elise Jerozal and CH Nohea Plum Lucky BN, an English Cocker Spaniel
- Level II Beginner Novice: Justin Platt and Bubby's Texas Tornado, a Shetland Sheepdog
- Level II Novice: Danielle Royall Tyler and Scarlett CD BN RAE, a Dachshund
- Level I Open: Avery Adams and OTCH MACH PACH Candlewood Huntleigh UDX OGM VER RE, a Labrador Retriever
- Level II Open: Aleesha Grove and Ivanlee Masked Avenger UD RE MX MXB MXJ CA, a Shetland Sheepdog
AKC Agility Invitational
Five agility dogs and their owners – one dog/handler team in each of the five height categories – were crowned at the AKC Agility Invitational, which brought together more than 590 dogs from across the country and beyond.
Placing first in their height division (8", 12", 16", 20" and 24" respectively) were:
- 8" – CH NAC MACH5 Starstruck Anticipation MXB2 MJS2 OF T2B "Carly," a Papillon handled by Andrea Samuels from Westbury, New York.
- 12" – MACH4 China Road Ziggy's Split Decision MXG MJS2 OF T2B "Ziggy," a Chinese Crested handled by Estelle Robinson from Trabuco Canyon, California.
- 16" – MACH3 Vidam Kertesz Sugar MXG MJG OF T2B "Zu-Zu," a Pumi handled by Tammy Hall from Shelton, Washington.
- 20" – MACH11 No Limit MXS3 MJG3 MXF MFG TQX T2B5 "Zip," a Border Collie handled by Jamie Herren from Marietta, Georgia.
- 24" – MACH6 Rock's Indian Sunburn MXB2 MJB2 OF T2B "Shiloh Rock," a Doberman Pinscher handled by Melanie Rock from Madison Heights, Michigan.
AKC Juniors Agility Competition
Juniors who participated in the AKC Juniors Agility Competition competed in either the Junior Excellent or Superior Classes, depending on whether they had achieved an agility title.
Placing first in their height division (4", 8", 12", 16", 20" and 24" respectively) in the Junior Excellent class were:
- 8"- MACH Lily MX MXB MXJ MJB OF T2B ("Lily"), a Bichon Frise owned by Curtis Short and handled by Claire Short
- 12"- PACH Genral Tommy Franks ("Tommy"), a Parson Russell Terrier owned by Cherie Whittenberg and handled by Deva Wilson
- 16"- Happyfeet M Kcivon OA AXJ ("Happy"), a Shetland Sheepdog owned and handled by Piper Novick
- 20"- SHS Guardian Angel AX AXJ ("Gabe"), a Border Collie owned and handled by Maddie Speagle
- 24"- Pine Run Pity The Fool ("Mr. T"), a Golden Retriever owned and handled by John Rotelle
Placing first in their height division (4", 8", 12", 16", 20" and 24" respectively) in the Junior Superior class were:
- 4" – Cnspots Scarlet Vixen RN ("Lilli), a Chihuahua owned by Rebekah Platts and owned by Mariah Platts
- 8" - JKA Boomerang Houdini ("Boomer"), a Shih Tzu owned and handled by Samantha Adams
- 12"- Levi BN ("Levi"), a West Highland White Terrier owned and handled by Cassandra Doss
- 16"- Be My Beau ("Beau"), an Australian Shepherd owned and handled by Sarah Schaefer
- 20"- Lillie, an All-American Dog owned and handled by Nicole Sieling
- 24"- Endrefalva Ginger IP03, BN, CDX ("Ginger"), a German Shepherd Dog owned and handled by Mica Bender
AKC Meet the Breeds®
The Bearded Collie booth won AKC Meet the Breeds® Best Booth in Show.
Members of the media may download high resolution photos of the winners from the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship FTP site. Please visit http://www.akc.org/nationalchampionship/2013/high_rez.cfm for more information.
The American Kennel Club (AKC), founded in 1884, maintains the largest registry of purebred dogs in the world. Its rules and regulations govern more than 20,000 canine competitions each year.
Eukanuba offers the most complete food lineup, delivering nutrition that is customized by breed and breed size as well as health and performance requirements. Eukanuba is a division of Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG), and you can visit us on the Web at http://www.eukanuba.com or visit Iams at http://www.Iams.com.
SOURCE American Kennel Club