|By PR Newswire||
|December 18, 2013 01:49 PM EST||
ATLANTA, Dec. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- IntercontinentalExchange Group (NYSE: ICE), the leading global network of exchanges and clearing houses, today announced 2013 accomplishments, including the third consecutive year for NYSE's leadership in global initial public offerings (IPOs) and capital raised.
"ICE has established a global exchange group offering the broadest portfolio of services to customers around the world," said ICE Chairman and CEO Jeffrey C. Sprecher. "ICE's leadership in risk management has driven increased transparency and security in the global derivatives markets while providing leadership amid significant regulatory change. And our global listings franchises enable the world's leading businesses to fuel economic growth, job creation and innovation."
"The NYSE's listed company network comprises the great businesses of our time and beyond. It extends across leading innovators and brands in every major sector. We are steadfastly focused on serving companies around the world who seek the benefits of the U.S. capital markets with our unique market model and leadership in market integrity," said NYSE EVP and Head of Global Listings Scott Cutler.
Leading in global capital raising for the third consecutive year; leader in technology IPOs
- NYSE Euronext is the global leader in IPOs with 157 transactions raising $59.1 billion in total global proceeds – more than the next three exchanges combined.
- NYSE is the leader in follow-on financing with $176.2B in proceeds raised as of December 18, 2013. Transactions were up 23% year over year from 2012 and global proceeds grew by 6%. Global Leader
- In the U.S., NYSE and NYSE MKT combined maintained the top position welcoming 141 IPOs, raising $55.4 billion in total proceeds, more than three times any other U.S. marketplace.
- 30 new technology listings, representing 54% of all U.S. technology IPOs and 56% capital raised in the sector, including Twitter's IPO, which raised $1.8 billion
- 4 new healthcare listings, representing 51% capital raised in the sector, including the two largest deals in the sector, Quintiles and Zoetis
- 52 new private equity-backed IPOs, including AMC, Hilton, SeaWorld, Vince, Container Store and Bright Horizons, representing 82% of capital raised by all U.S. PE-backed IPOs in 2013
- 64% of all non-U.S. listings in the U.S., including IPOs from China with 500.com, 58.com, LightInTheBox and Autohome; Latin America with Volaris, Avianca, and Grana y Montero; and Luxoft, headquartered in Switzerland with a significant footprint in Russia
- Transfers from other exchanges, including Oracle, Perrigo, PowerSecure International, Rudolph Technologies and Ciena, representing $164.4B in market cap and 35.3M in trading volume, recognized the benefits of the NYSE platform.
- In a strong year for small-caps, NYSE MKT, the listing and trading market for growth-oriented companies, welcomed 27 new listings.
- In Europe, Euronext benefited from increased capital markets activity across its Euronext and Alternext markets and welcomed 34 new listings with €3 billion raised in proceeds from 16 IPOs, including Bpost in Belgium, CTT in Portugal and Tarkett, Numericable and Blue Solutions in France. Also, Eli Lilly, Infosys and Abbvie chose Euronext for their cross listing.
- A total of €85 billion was raised on the Euronext markets from initial and secondary offerings, including bond offerings.
- EnterNext, the Euronext subsidiary for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) that serves companies with market capitalizations of under €1 billion, launched in May 2013.
Establishing the leading global exchange network
- In November, ICE completed the acquisition of NYSE Euronext creating the leading network of markets that span interest rates, equities and equity derivatives, credit, bonds, foreign exchange, energy, metals, and agriculture.
- ICE reached an agreement to acquire the Singapore Mercantile Exchange and will become the first Western company to acquire an exchange and clearing house in Asia, pending regulatory approvals.
- ICE Endex, a Continental European energy exchange for natural gas and power markets, was launched in March.
Offering new products and services
Energy and Agricultural Commodities
- ICE launched approximately 140 new energy contracts throughout 2013.
- Following two years of market consultation, ICE Futures Europe transitioned Brent futures, options and related derivatives instruments to a new "month-ahead" expiry calendar for March 2016 contract months onwards.
- ICE Futures U.S. worked with the cotton industry to prepare for the launch in 2014 of an international cotton contract that will trade alongside the ICE's cotton benchmark No. 2 contract.
Interest Rates and Equity Indices
- With the introduction of 3 and 4 year Mid Curve Options for the start of 2013, NYSE Liffe's Euribor and Sterling Options have seen a further 27% growth throughout the year.
- NYSE Liffe's Euro Swap future, Swapnote®, continues to grow on the back of pending regulatory change, with over €90bn ($125bn) notional value traded in 2013, up 14% on the previous year.
- Following another strong year in Long Gilt Futures, NYSE Liffe has worked with the Gilt trading community to develop an Ultra Long Gilt Future which will launch in early 2014.
- Euronext introduced the CAC 40® Ext and AEX Ext (Extended) indices. These indices give investors an indicator of the index levels outside the regular trading period. More than 300 products were launched on the CAC 40 Ext in 2013. Euronext also launched the X12 and X15 CAC 40 Leverage and Short indices this year.
- DTCC® GCF Repo Index futures celebrated the first year of trading with nearly 1.5 million contracts traded and record open interest through November 2013.
- The NYSE Diversified High Income Index launched; it measures the performance of a broad, diversified basket of 138 publicly-traded securities providing exposure to multiple asset classes, sectors and segments that historically pay high dividends or distributions.
Exchange Traded Products
- NYSE Arca led in new exchange traded product (ETP) listings in 2013; of the more than 150 ETPs that listed in the U.S. this year, over 80% listed on NYSE Arca.
- NYSE Arca has over 50 issuers with 1,411 ETPs, representing nearly $1.6 trillion of combined assets under management, an increase of more than 20% from 2012.
- Euronext had 47 new exchange traded fund (ETF) listings YTD versus 28 for full-year 2012, with two new issuers joining in 2013.
- NYSE Amex Options and NYSE Arca Options continue to lead the industry in exchange group market share with over 27% of normalized equity options market share year-to-date.
- Mini options contracts in five actively traded securities and exchange-traded funds were launched. For the first time, options customers are now able to trade mini options with 10 share deliverables as opposed to the standard 100 deliverable contracts.
- NYSE Amex and NYSE Arca options exchanges announced a semi-exclusive agreement with Russell Indexes to trade all Russell U.S. index options.
Bringing greater security to markets
- Clearing services for the London-based derivatives market of NYSE Liffe was transitioned to ICE Clear Europe on July 1. The transition involved 43 member firms with 75 million contract sides and $11.17 billion in margin.
- ICE Clear Credit began clearing for Markit iTraxx Europe CDS indices in February and Russian Federation and Republic of Turkey sovereign CDS instruments in November
- ICE Clear Europe successfully launched client clearing for CDS in October.
- Euronext signed a new five-year clearing contract with LCH.Clearnet in November. This new agreement allows customers to maintain their existing trading and clearing connectivity and infrastructure, while enjoying high service quality and quicker, more responsive, customer-driven innovation.
Creating unique transparent platforms with customer-focused solutions
- Following a rigorous selection process conducted by an independent advisory committee, NYSE Euronext Rate Administration Ltd, now known as ICE Benchmark Administration Ltd, was appointed as the new administrator for LIBOR. The transfer of the administration from BBA LIBOR Ltd, the subsidiary of the British Bankers' Association, to ICE Benchmark Administration Ltd, is expected to be completed in early 2014, subject to FCA authorization.
- ICE Swap Trade, ICE's CFTC-registered Swap Execution Facility, launched with trading activity in the energy and CDS markets.
- ICE Trade Vault Europe was approved by European regulators to establish a trade repository to serve European futures and swaps markets.
- ICE and Cetip's jointly developed fixed-income trading platform, Cetip Trader, launched in February and followed up with ICE Link's post trade solution launching in August.
- ICE mobile, the first mobile trading platform for commodities, attracted a record number of traders and contract volume.
- The migration of NYSE and NYSE MKT to the Universal Trading Platform had a positive impact on market efficiency, reducing acknowledgment message latency by 77%.
- The NYSE's Retail Liquidity Program, which offers alternative trade execution for individual investors, averaged 8.7 million shares per day. The average price for individual investors was 62% better than the program's required minimum price improvement. The NYSE has also proposed a one-year pilot program to establish the Institutional Liquidity Program, designed to provide liquidity for institutional investors in a more transparent environment.
- Voluntary risk mitigation tools will be made available to NYSE, NYSE MKT and NYSE ARCA member organizations in early 2014 to supplement their internal procedures for managing their exposure to equity trading activity and to reduce the potential for disruptive, market-wide events.
During 2013, ICE's companies were recognized for achievements by various publications, receiving multiple industry awards:
- FOW Global Exchange Group of the Year
- FOW U.S. Exchange of the Year
- FOW European Clearing House of the Year
- FOW Best Innovation by an Exchange
- Energy Risk Clearing House of the Year
- Financial News Best European Clearing House
- Financial News Best Exchange Group
- Uptime Institute's Gold Award for the U.S. Liquidity Center
- Waters Technology Best Data Center Provider to the Sell-Side
- Wall Street Letter Best Overall Exchange
- Markets Media Best Exchange
- NY Office of Emergency Management Private Sector Partner in Preparedness
- Waters Technology Contract Win of the Year with Russell Indexes
About IntercontinentalExchange Group
IntercontinentalExchange Group (NYSE: ICE) is the leading network of regulated exchanges and clearing houses for financial and commodity markets. ICE delivers transparent, reliable and accessible data, technology and risk management services to markets around the world through its portfolio of exchanges, including the New York Stock Exchange, ICE Futures, Liffe and Euronext.
Trademarks of ICE and/or its affiliates include IntercontinentalExchange, ICE, ICE block design, NYSE Euronext, NYSE, New York Stock Exchange, LIFFE and Euronext. Information regarding additional trademarks and intellectual property rights of IntercontinentalExchange Group, Inc. and/or its affiliates is located at https://www.theice.com/terms.jhtml and http://www.nyx.com/terms-use.
Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 - Statements in this press release regarding ICE's business that are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of additional risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see ICE's Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, including, but not limited to, the risk factors in ICE's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012, as filed with the SEC on February 6, 2013.