|By Business Wire||
|December 19, 2013 12:00 PM EST||
IMDb (www.imdb.com), the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content, today released a “2013 Mobile Momentum Top 10 List.” IMDb also announced that updates to the acclaimed IMDb “Movies & TV” apps for iOS and Android are available to download beginning today.
“In 2013 we experienced significant growth on many fronts in the mobile space including total number of app downloads and average number of monthly visitors,” said Col Needham, IMDb’s founder and CEO. “Throughout the year we doubled down on our mission to continually surprise and delight our customers with new features. As determined by customer feedback, the two most popular app features we launched in 2013 are the ability to purchase movie tickets via our mobile apps and, perhaps surprisingly, adding actor height information to our iOS app.”
IMDb’s 2013 Mobile Momentum Top 10 List
1. IMDb’s “Movies & TV” apps for iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android have been downloaded more than 80 million times.
2. Over the last 12 months, IMDb’s mobile website and apps have received an average of more than 244 million visits per month.
3. IMDb’s mobile web site (http://m.imdb.com) is the 24th most-visited mobile web site in the U.S. (Source: comScore).
4. IMDb’s “Movies & TV” app for Android has experienced significant year-over-year growth, as follows: 57% year-over-year growth worldwide and 148% year-over-year growth in the U.S.
5. In July 2013, IMDb launched online ticketing on our iOS and Android apps. In October 2013, usage of IMDb’s movie ticket features on mobile reached an all-time high, with unique users increasing +65% as compared to September 2013.
6. The average rank of IMDb’s “Movies & TV” app for iPhone and iPad in the iTunes App Store (entertainment category) was #27 for the year in the U.S. and #25 in the UK. IMDb’s “Movies & TV” app for Android is current the #7 ranked app within the Entertainment category in Google Play.
7. IMDb users viewed more than 9.1 billion photos on IMDb’s mobile properties in 2013.
8. In 2013, 32% of IMDb’s worldwide video views were generated via its mobile properties (iOS app, Android app and mobile website).
9. In 2013, the most viewed trailer on IMDb’s Android app was the World War Z trailer. In 2013, the most viewed trailer on IMDb’s iOS app was the trailer for Despicable Me 2.
10. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was the most Watchlisted title via IMDb’s Android App this year. Now You See Me was the most Watchlisted title of 2013 via IMDb’s iOS app.
New: IMDb iOS and Android App Updates
The IMDb iOS app update, which is available for download today, includes the following: New navigation and homepages for iPhone, including a dropdown menu which is accessible from every page; IMDb’s annual Road to the Oscars® special section which will include live results during both The Golden Globes and The Academy Awards® broadcasts; the ability to make Name lists; new list sorts and filters (including the much requested Release Date sort for Watchlists); and the ability to filter by what’s available instantly on Amazon. To download this free update now, go to: http://itunes.apple.com/app/imdb-movies-tv/id342792525
The IMDb Android app update, which is available for download today, includes the following: IMDb’s editor-curated lists are now available via the app homepage; IMDb’s annual Road to the Oscars® special section which will include live results during The Academy Awards® broadcast; and expanded biography coverage. To download this free app update now, go to: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imdb.mobile
IMDb is the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. The IMDb consumer site (www.imdb.com) is the #1 movie website in the world with a combined web and mobile audience of more than 190 million unique monthly visitors. IMDb offers a searchable database of more than 130 million data items including more than 2.7 million movies, TV and entertainment programs and more than 5.5 million cast and crew members. Consumers rely on the information IMDb provides -- including showtimes, ticketing, trailers, critic and user reviews, personalized recommendations, photo galleries, entertainment news, quotes, trivia, box-office data, editorial feature sections and a universal Watchlist -- when making viewing decisions. IMDb’s portfolio of leading entertainment apps (http://www.imdb.com/apps/) includes its popular “Movies & TV” app for iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire, Android phones, Android tablets, Windows Phone and its mobile-optimized website. To date, there have been more than 80 million downloads of IMDb’s mobile apps worldwide. IMDb's X-Ray for Movies & TV (www.imdb.com/x-ray) is a feature that revolutionizes the viewing experience by bringing the power of IMDb directly to Kindle Fire HD and Wii U devices. IMDb Pro (http://www.imdbpro.com) is a subscription version of IMDb designed exclusively for professionals who work in the entertainment industry. IMDb Pro provides contact information, in production listings for film and television projects and exclusive STARmeter rankings that are determined by user searches on IMDb. Additionally, IMDb owns and operates Withoutabox (http://www.withoutabox.com), a marketplace for film festivals and filmmakers, and Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com), the leading online box-office reporting service. IMDb.com is operated by IMDb.com, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) (http://www.amazon.com). To learn more, go to: http://www.imdb.com/press.