|By Liz McMillan||
|December 20, 2013 08:30 AM EST||
Red Hat on Thursday announced the general availability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 4.0. Engineered with Red Hat-hardened OpenStack Havana code, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5, and the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Hypervisor built on KVM, Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform offers IT infrastructure teams, cloud application developers, and experienced cloud builders a clear path to the open hybrid cloud without compromising on availability, security, or performance.
Key features and benefits in Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 4.0 include:
- Full support for Foreman. Foreman is a life cycle management tool for provisioning of both physical and virtual infrastructure resources. Foreman eases the deployment and expansion process through remote physical servers and a graphical user interface that provides a real-time global view of system resources.
- Full support for OpenStack Orchestration (Heat). OpenStack Heat provides a template-based orchestration engine to quickly provision a broad range of infrastructure resources, from new compute nodes and application virtual machines, to specifying disk volumes, networks, security groups, and more.
- Full support for OpenStack Networking (Neutron). Neutron (previously named Quantum) delivers "networking-as-a-service" (software-defined networking) between interface devices, such as virtual network interface cards (vNICs), that are utilized by other OpenStack infrastructure services.
- Full support for OpenStack Telemetry (Ceilometer). Ceilometer collects and stores OpenStack resource metering and usage data. It also provides data query services for use with the enterprise operational support systems (OSS) and billing support systems (BSS) that are commonly deployed by service providers.
- Integration with Red Hat CloudForms. CloudForms offers a unified management interface for Red Hat and non-Red Hat datacenter virtualization solutions, as well as Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform.
- Enhanced integration with Red Hat Storage Server. Red Hat Storage Server provides OpenStack Object Storage (Swift), OpenStack Block Storage (Cinder) and OpenStack Image Service (Glance), offering a robust and scalable storage solution for use with Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform.
In addition, Red Hat has assembled an OpenStack certified partner ecosystem, announced in November, to go along with Red Hat's support services. The ecosystem consists of an extensive community of certified partners and software and hardware vendors, and experts for compute, storage, networking, software and services. Users of Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform also benefit from Red Hat's award-winning customer portal and global support services organization. Finally, Red Hat will support Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 4.0 for an extended enterprise life cycle of eighteen months, compared to the six-month release cadence of community OpenStack. During this eighteen month life cycle, Red Hat will offer security and bug fixes, performance enhancements, and the back-porting of some additional features from future releases, providing stability to the production environment that customers have established.