|By Marketwired .||
|December 20, 2013 12:15 PM EST||
PHOENIX, AZ--(Marketwired - December 20, 2013) - Viridian Health Management, a value-driven health improvement company focused on powering performance in population health, today released a year-end wrap-up and preview of activities for 2014.
"Our primary focus this year has been to expand our population health management solutions within and beyond the employer market," said Brenda Schmidt, president and CEO of Viridian Health Management. "We have also enjoyed several great partnerships this year that have supported expansion of our solutions into new markets and allowed us to begin to build meaningful community models to improve health."
Viridian's Population Health Program Platform
Viridian launched a cloud-based technology that was initially built to scale the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) National Diabetes Prevention Program (National DPP) of which Viridian is a CDC recognized program partner. In 2014, the technology will be further developed to support other evidence-based health behavior change programs such as stress management and diabetes control. The technology enables turnkey management of population health behavior change programs, including data import, risk stratification and eligible participant identification, class management, reporting and claims processing.
Health Risk Assessment Tool
Viridian launched its HeathImpact™ Assessment, a proprietary health risk assessment (HRA) modeled after the HRA that Viridian developed in collaboration with the CDC for its National Healthy Worksite Program, of which Viridian is the implementation contractor. Individuals can complete the HeathImpact™ Assessment online via desktop, mobile or tablet and receive an instantaneous, personalized action plan report that contains detailed strategies to improve or manage health. The HeathImpact™ Assessment also can be utilized within worksite wellness programs to meet the Medicare requirement to complete a HRA as part of an annual wellness visit.
Training for National DPP, Motivational Interviewing and Health Coaching
Training in motivational interviewing and health coaching has long been a core competency for Viridian. Supporting its partnership to scale the National DPP, Viridian levered its training acumen to train a number of organizations and individuals to be lifestyle coaches to deliver the National DPP, Mt. Sinai Health System, Sun Health, Viejas Band of Kumeyaay Indians, and others.
Turnkey Program Delivery of the National DPP
This year, Viridian offered a flexible program-delivery solution of the National DPP via its health coaches, technology support through its population health program solution, training and administrative services. Viridian launched a turnkey pilot of the National DPP early this year and continued to roll-out the program to several other organizations, including the State of Tennessee, Methodist Hospital (Memphis, Tennessee) and Eastman Chemical Company.
- In addition to the work around the National DPP mentioned above, Viridian also entered into its second program year as the implementation contractor for the CDC's National Healthy Worksite Program, an initiative aimed at reducing chronic disease and building a healthier, more productive U.S. workforce. In June 2013, Viridian announced the selection of 104 employers for the CDC's National Healthy Worksite Program.
- Viridian worked closely with the National Institute of Occupational Health and Safety (NIOSH) to develop criteria for a national network of affiliates for the Total Worker Health™ (TWH) program. This partnership demonstrates Viridian's commitment to the integration of health protection and health promotion as a strategy to prevent injury and illness in the American workforce.
- Viridian Partners with the Arizona Small Business Association to support the Healthy Arizona Worksites Program: Chosen in early 2013 for its implementation expertise in worksite health programs, Viridian provides the knowledge and skills for Arizona employers to effectively develop and execute worksite health programs to address chronic health issues, support employer-specific health improvements and save money.
Viridian was involved in several diabetes prevention and other population health management efforts in 2013.
- The Clinton Foundation's Annual Health Matters Conference: In January 2013, Viridian joined more than 400 leaders in healthcare, public policy, wellness, business, education and sports to identify strategies to promote and improve individual healthy lifestyles in the home, the community and the workplace. In September 2013, Viridian also worked with the Clinton Foundation to coordinate the Employee Effectiveness and Wellbeing Forum in New York City, an event that is dedicated to engaging workers in worksite wellness initiatives that result in a healthier work culture. Additionally, Viridian has made two new commitments to the Clinton Foundation of which have been accepted and will be unveiled in 2014.
- Viridian Co-presents at the 23rd Annual Art & Science of Health Promotion Conference in March 2013. Brenda Schmidt, president and CEO of Viridian, joined three other leading national experts in the field of public health and health promotion -- Dyann Matson Koffman, DrPH, Ron Goetzel, PhD, and Enid Chung Roemer, PhD -- during a one-hour panel discussion titled "The CDC Worksite Health ScoreCard: How to Use the Tool and Lessons Learned from the National Healthy Worksite Program."
- In May 2013, Viridian created and led the New York State Diabetes Prevention Consortium -- a collaboration of key stakeholders, local agencies and researchers who are committed to creating a movement to prevent diabetes in the state of New York -- to leverage its collective strengths to strategize on addressing the alarming rate of prediabetes and preventing the development of type 2 diabetes.
- In July 2013, Viridian organized and led the Arizona Diabetes Prevention Consortium. Viridian, a strategic partner of the CDC in implementing the National DPP, brought stakeholder groups together in Phoenix, Ariz., to leverage their collective strengths to address the alarming increase of prediabetes and determine methods to prevent the development of type 2 diabetes in Arizona.
- Viridian led the National Diabetes Prevention Consortium in October 2013 in Washington, D.C. Organized by Viridian and hosted by the National Association of City and County Health Officials (NACCHO), the National Diabetes Prevention Consortium is a collaboration of the best minds, providers, agencies, government, researchers and key stakeholders who are committed to preventing diabetes in the United States.
- In October 2013, Viridian president and CEO Brenda Schmidt and Chief Medical Officer Robert Eric Dinenberg joined state and local public health officials, NIOSH, OSHA, and Education and Research Center/Agriculture Center representatives at the Western States Occupational Network (WestON) annual meeting in Golden, Colo., to share ideas and expand on efforts to build a strong occupational safety and health network in the West. During the conference, Schmidt and Dinenberg presented strategies and best practices for managing national and state healthy worksite programs.
- In September 2013, Viridian President and CEO Brenda Schmidt participated in the NIOSH National Expert Colloquium on Total Worker Health in Washington, D.C. Schmidt shared her perspective on the opportunities, challenges and emerging priority issues of a Total Worker Health approach, as well as how best to address challenges to worksite health programs and the evidence on ROI.
- Viridian President and CEO Brenda Schmidt is appointed to the Care Continuum Alliance board of directors. CCA members approved Schmidt's appointment to its board of directors during the Care Continuum Alliance's annual meeting, the CCA Forum 2013, in October 2013, in Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Viridian President and CEO Brenda Schmidt joined a distinguished panel of population health experts in October 2013 at Diabetes Innovation 2013, a unique conference by Joslin Diabetes Center, the world's largest diabetes research and clinical care organization. This panel discussion, entitled "Employer Innovation: Strategies for Primary Prevention, Workplace Wellness and Diabetes Management," provided attendees with the economics and benefits of diabetes prevention strategies, employer success stories on engaging high-risk employees, and sustaining engagement in prevention programs.
- Viridian releases a new whitepaper "The National Diabetes Prevention Program: An Evidence-based Program for Employers, Providers, Health Plans and Community Groups to "Bend the Trend." Authored by Viridian's Chief Medical Officer Robert Eric Dinenberg, MD, MPH, this whitepaper discusses the failure of the traditional solution for diabetes prevention; the rise of the National DPP; Viridian's role as a recognized program partner for the CDC's National DPP; and new solutions for diabetes prevention.
- Viridian's Marissa Hudson, executive vice president of public/private partnerships, collaborated with leading health organizations on an article published in the October 2013 issue of the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. In this joint consensus statement, entitled, "Biometric Health Screening for Employers," Hudson shared her insight on the use of biometric health screenings as an effective tool for early detection and intervention of preventable diseases and greater health awareness.
- In the October 2013 issue of ACO Insights, "Viridian Takes Aim at Developing Accountable Care Solutions through the Wellness Industry." In this article, Viridian President and CEO Brenda Schmidt and Chief Medical Officer Dr. Robert Eric Dinenberg provide insight on how employers can keep their employee base healthy and the cost structure manageable, as well as share strategies and solutions for challenges that many local communities are having with accountable care.
- In the September/October 2013 issue of the American Journal of Health Promotion, Viridian's Chief Medical Officer Robert Eric Dinenberg, MD, MPH, published a thought-provoking article entitled "Social Support May Protect Against Development of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder: Findings from the Heart and Soul Study."
- In the November 2013 issue of Occupational Health and Safety, Viridian's Chief Medical Officer Robert Eric Dinenberg, MD, MPH, discusses the correlation between employee health and workplace productivity, and how employers are beginning to understand the significant productivity-cost impact related to poor health of employees and workplace injuries that can result in employee downtime and workers' compensation costs.
- Viridian was actively blogging in 2013 on its own blog as well as a guest blogger on Employee Benefit News." Blog posts covered an array of events and topics, including:
- Improving Population Health: Creating Healthier Communities to Make Healthcare Better
- Health Protection/Promotion for the Workforce: The Business Case
- CCA Forum 2013...Diabetes Prevention: A Public and Private Community Health Model
- Creating Sustainable Change: Clinton Foundation's Employee Effectiveness and Wellbeing Forum
- Viridian Partners with the CDC and the NACDD to Help Prevent the Onset of Type 2 Diabetes
About Viridian Health Management
Viridian Health Management is a value-driven health improvement company that powers performance in population health, inspires healthy living and lowers healthcare costs. Through its various population health management solutions, Viridian focuses on engaging individuals to make sustainable, healthy behavior changes and improving individual and population health for worksites, healthcare partners, communities and the public sector to achieve measurable risk reduction and cost savings. To learn more about Viridian Health Management, visit www.viridianhealth.com.
Toll Free: 1.877.486.0140
Viridian Health Management Media Contact:
Chief Marketing Officer
22601 N. 19th Avenue | Suite 240 | Phoenix, AZ 85027