|By PR Newswire||
|January 2, 2014 11:55 AM EST||
DES MOINES, Iowa, Jan. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- While the headlines in 2013 were filled with sordid details of the rich and famous, there were lessons to learn from those who handled their legal issues well. ARAG® offers the top legal issues facing most Americans – and the celebrities who handled them best in 2013.
Top Legal Issues
- Divorce – Kudos to Clint and Dina Eastwood, who are keeping things nice as they work through ending a 17-year marriage. Niceness pays. Honorable mention to Billy Ray and Tish Cyrus who called off their divorce earlier this year – proving it may be better to talk to marriage counselors than tabloids.
- Wills, Estate and Trusts – Michael Jackson's estate, while complicated by custody trials and wrongful death suits, still manages to keep the King of Pop among the highest paid celebrity earners. He topped the Forbes list earning $160 million between June 2012 and June 2013 – edging out Madonna who earned $125 million.
Learn more about estate planning basics.
- Bankruptcy – Pamela Anderson, Dionne Warwick and Kelly Rutherford all filed bankruptcy in 2013. Overextended credit, poor financial investments, unemployment, large medical expenses, and marital problems are a few reasons why an individual may file for bankruptcy. Whatever the reason for filing, the best have learned an important lesson: Work with an experienced bankruptcy attorney and the IRS to resolve issues.
- Tenant, Landlord – As owner and board president of a $30 million luxury apartment building, Joan Rivers has had to deal with tenant issues. Disputes between a tenant and a landlord may involve repairs, maintenance, occupancy and rent payments. Rivers commented, "At my age I still believe in the legal system and hope and pray that the law will come down on the right side."
Learn more about the rights you and your landlord have.
- Consumer/Contractor – Sylvester Stallone allegedly settled a multi-million dollar lawsuit filed against a contractor involving a dispute over building materials. Lesson learned: Check multiple references and make sure expectations are clear and in writing.
Legal issues can quickly get out of hand even if the tabloids aren't involved. One way to maintain control is to have a legal plan. Offered by providers like ARAG, legal plans offer convenient access to a nationwide network of attorneys and legal resources that can help when unexpected events happen. Many purchase a legal plan so they know they'll have immediate access to professional services and resources when a legal need arises.
ARAG® (www.ARAGgroup.com) provides affordable legal solutions through trusted service to help people protect what matters most.
ARAG is the world's largest privately owned legal solutions enterprise. The company has an international premium base of nearly $2 billion and protects 15.5 million individuals and their families – worldwide. We are committed to providing our customers a choice of legal solutions to help them live a life full of opportunities.
We demonstrate expertise, integrity and passion in everything we do to serve our customers and make a positive difference in our community. We are proud to sponsor ARAG Free Will Day, providing low and middle income citizens with free access to attorneys for the creation of important legal documents to protect their family, finances and future.
ARAG's North American headquarters are based in Des Moines, Iowa. We've earned the prestigious Center of Excellence Award for six consecutive years (2007-2012) and have been awarded a Top 100 and Top 20 Call Center (2010-2011). ARAG team members voted ARAG a Best Places to Work in Insurance (2009-2012).
For more news and information about ARAG visit ARAGgroup.com.