|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 06:00 AM EST||
JACKSON, Mich., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Consumers Energy Foundation closed out 2013 by announcing more than $475,000 in grants for 17 community and nonprofit organizations throughout Michigan.
The grants fund a variety of projects in Lower Peninsula communities that Consumers Energy serves and fill many needs. The foundation is supporting educational programs, community projects and initiatives that provide assistance to people in need.
"You can appreciate the good work that goes out in Michigan's communities, big and small, from looking at the nonprofit projects we are supporting," said David Mengebier, president of the Consumers Energy Foundation. "We are proud to play a role in helping bring these initiatives and programs closer to completion, and building a strong future for our state."
The Consumers Energy Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Consumers Energy. It provides funding for a variety of areas, including education, community, civic and cultural development, social services, the environment and emerging issues. Michigan nonprofit organizations will receive more than $8 million this year through the foundation, the company and employee and retiree contributions.
The Consumers Energy Foundation has pledged grants to the following:
- Cranbrook Institute of Science (Bloomfield Hills) -- $50,000 for the Young Scientists program in Flint schools, expanding a program already in Detroit Public Schools. Sixth- and seventh-graders will receive instruction during the school day and after school, and visit the museum with their families.
- Community Foundation for Muskegon County (Muskegon) -- $50,000 to help relocate the Muskegon Farmers Market to a year-round, downtown location.
- Lakeshore Museum Center (Muskegon) -- $50,000 for Michigan's Heritage Park, a tourist attraction on 20 acres that will tell the story of Michigan's history through interactive exhibits.
- Goodwill Industries of Southwestern Michigan (Kalamazoo) -- $50,000 to support the Read & Seed Family Literacy Program, focusing on adult literacy and providing literacy activities to help 34 low-income families.
- Saginaw Valley State University (University Center) -- $50,000 to support the university's 50th anniversary fundraising campaign. Funds will create a scholarship for electrical engineering students and create an exterior entrance for the Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum.
- Michigan 4-H Foundation (Tustin) -- $50,000 to improve the Kettunen Center, which hosts 4-H training workshops, school band camps and more. Funds will support expansion of a beach, addition of a dock and recreational features, and more.
- Kalamazoo County Land Bank Authority (Kalamazoo) -- $30,000 to support the Riverview Launch project, converting a tax-foreclosed property into a hub of community programming based on healthy, active lifestyles.
- MiTech Plus, Inc. (Midland) -- $30,000 to help develop the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) Center of Excellence, bringing together business, community and education leaders in the Great Lakes Bay region.
- Siena Heights University (Adrian) -- $25,000 to transform the old Benincasa dining hall into multipurpose space for the university and community to host special events.
- St. Johns Area Community Fund (St. Johns) -- $15,000 for a spray park that will replace the community's 60-year-old outdoor swimming pool.
- Jordan Lake Trail Board (Lake Odessa) -- $15,000 for a pedestrian/bike trail around Jordan Lake that can be used for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in winter.
- Fenner Conservancy (Lansing) -- $11,600 for prairie restoration, converting 19 acres of fields that are full of invasive species.
- Regent Theatre (Allegan) -- $10,000 to help convert the theater's projection equipment from 35mm film to a digital format.
- Adrian College (Adrian) -- $10,000 to the "Track and Explore" program, providing STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education on the grounds of Michigan International Speedway to college students studying to become teachers.
- Greater Lansing Housing Coalition (Lansing) -- $10,000 to expand "Tuesday Toolmen" project, providing home maintenance and repair jobs for income-eligible seniors and people with disabilities.
- Independent Transportation Network (Southfield) -- $10,000 to support transportation for seniors and the visually impaired. People will receive rides in private automobiles at any time within Oakland County, helping them to live independently.
- Seebeck Family Fund (Gladwin) -- $8,700 for kitchen incubator at Gladwin County Recreation Area. The kitchen will be part of a lodge that includes a banquet facility, space for artisans to sell products and the Gladwin Farmers Market.
Consumers Energy, Michigan's largest utility, is the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy (NYSE: CMS), providing natural gas and electricity to 6.6 million of the state's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
SOURCE Consumers Energy
Over the past year, Datical has had amazing success with our flagship product, Datical DB. We’ve seen multiple visionary, sector-leading companies select Datical DB to drive their Application Schema changes. Now that the number has grown rapidly over the past year, we can begin to see patterns in why customers choose Datical DB. One of them turns out to be pretty emblematic of our other customers. So, let's examine the reasons why they chose to adopt Datical DB.
Jan. 30, 2015 07:00 PM EST Reads: 593
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 06:30 PM EST Reads: 2,575
At 15th Cloud Expo, Shrikant Pattathil, Executive Vice President at Harbinger Systems, demos a video delivery platform that helps you do interactive videos. He discusses how Harbinger is accomplishing it in the cloud world, the problems they faced and the choices they made to get around these problems.
Jan. 30, 2015 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,632
Want to enable self-service provisioning of application environments in minutes that mirror production? Can you automatically provide rich data with code-level detail back to the developers when issues occur in production? In his session at DevOps Summit, David Tesar, Microsoft Technical Evangelist on Microsoft Azure and DevOps, will discuss how to accomplish this and more utilizing technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Visual Studio online, and Application Insights in this demo-heavy session.
Jan. 30, 2015 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,608
Log data provides the most granular view into what is happening across your systems, applications, and end users. Logs can show you where the issues are in real-time, and provide a historical trending view over time. Logs give you the whole picture. Logentries, a log management and analytics service built for the cloud, has announced a new integration with Slack, the team communication platform, to enable real-time system and application monitoring. Users of both services can now receive real-...
Jan. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 890
Entuity®, a provider of enterprise-class network management solutions, today announced that it solidifies its position as a market leader through global enterprise customer acquisitions and a refined channel strategy. In 2014, Entuity increased new license revenues in EMEA by over 75 percent, and LATAM by over 125 percent as customers embraced Entuity for its highly automated solution and unified architecture. Entuity’s refined channel strategy focuses on even deeper strategic alignment with ke...
Jan. 30, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 658
CloudBees, Inc., has announced a $23.5 million financing round, led by longtime CloudBees investor Lightspeed Venture Partners. Existing investors Matrix Partners, Verizon Ventures and Blue Cloud Ventures also participated in the round. The latest funding announcement follows earlier rounds of $4 million, $10.5 million and $10.8 million, bringing the total investment in CloudBees to just under $50 million since the company’s inception in 2010. Previous venture investment rounds were led by Ma...
Jan. 30, 2015 04:45 PM EST Reads: 660
We are all here because we are sold on the transformative promise of The Cloud. But what good is all of this ephemeral, on-demand infrastructure if your usage doesn't actually improve the agility and speed of your business? How must Operations adapt in order to avoid stifling your Cloud initiative? In his session at DevOps Summit, Damon Edwards, co-founder and managing partner of the DTO Solutions, will highlight the successful organizational, process, and tooling patterns of high-performing c...
Jan. 30, 2015 04:15 PM EST Reads: 2,856
“The year of the cloud – we have no idea when it's really happening but we think it's happening now. For those technology providers like Zentera that are helping enterprises move to the cloud - it's been fun to watch," noted Mike Loftus, VP Product Management and Marketing at Zentera Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 2,300
Technology is enabling a new approach to collecting and using data. This approach, commonly referred to as the "Internet of Things" (IoT), enables businesses to use real-time data from all sorts of things including machines, devices and sensors to make better decisions, improve customer service, and lower the risk in the creation of new revenue opportunities. In his General Session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Dave Wagstaff, Vice President and Chief Architect at BSQUARE Corporation, discuss the ...
Jan. 30, 2015 03:45 PM EST Reads: 3,127
"ElasticBox is an enterprise company that makes it very easy for developers and IT ops to collaborate to develop, build and deploy applications on any cloud - private, public or hybrid," stated Monish Sharma, VP of Customer Success at ElasticBox, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 2,780
Agility is top of mind for Cloud/Service providers and Enterprises alike. Policy Driven Data Center provides a policy model for application deployment by decoupling application needs from the underlying infrastructure primitives. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, David Klebanov, a Technical Solutions Architect with Cisco Systems, discussed how it differentiates from the software-defined top-down control by offering a declarative approach to allow faster and simpler application deployment. Davi...
Jan. 30, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 3,399
Cloud Technology Partners on Wednesday announced it has been recognized by the Modern Infrastructure Impact Awards as one of the Best Amazon Web Services (AWS) Consulting Partners. Selected by the editors of TechTarget's SearchDataCenter.com, and by votes from customers and strategic channel partners, the companies acknowledged by the Modern Infrastructure Impact Awards represent the top providers of cloud consulting services for AWS including application migration, application development, inf...
Jan. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,520
“Will Jaya is a direct source for server integration and storage solutions. If you are looking for any specific configurations for a project we can help you configure based on your needs and requirements," explained Netty Goya, CEO of Will Jaya, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 30, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,677