|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 08:05 AM EST||
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- 2014 CES International
- Industry's first 5G WiFi 2x2 MIMO combo chip for digital televisions delivers 3X bandwidth to ensure seamless streaming for high-bandwidth applications
- Powerful 3x3 MIMO 802.11ac chip for routers, gateways and set-top boxes frees up the host CPU for applications such as HD video streaming
- Beamforming and advanced coexistence architecture enable faster, more reliable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth experience in a wider range in the home
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today introduced new 5G WiFi system-on-a-chips (SoCs) for connected home devices. The BCM43569 and BCM43602 enable OEMs to deliver the speed, range and bandwidth requirements for streaming HD-quality content, online gaming and other high-bandwidth applications in the home. Visit Broadcom's 2014 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) site to learn more at www.connectingeverything.com.
Consumers are streaming video content to multiple devices in the home using various applications and content delivery services. Legacy technologies limit the ability to support the evolving bandwidth and Quality of Service (QoS) needed for the intensive connected home lifestyle. For example, using Bluetooth- and Wi-Fi-enabled devices such as remotes, speakers and game controllers can reduce available Wi-Fi bandwidth and cause interference when playing an online game or streaming a movie from a tablet to a smart TV. The BCM43569 is the industry's first dual-band 2x2 MIMO combo chip with a USB 3.0 interface and advanced coexistence technology that enables superior performance by allowing smart TVs to receive both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals simultaneously.
Routers, gateways and set-top boxes rely heavily on the platform's host CPU processing power to deliver HD content over 5G WiFi to multiple devices in the home. Broadcom's BCM43602, a new 3x3 MIMO 802.11ac SoC solution, enables these platforms to offload Wi-Fi processing from the host processor to deliver the benefits of 5G WiFi to the consumer. Combined, the new chips deliver the speed, power and range requirements needed around the home to support consumer demand for content anywhere and anytime. Beamforming is also supported on both chips to ensure whole-home wireless coverage.
"As the first company to deliver 5G WiFi across all product segments, Broadcom continues to lead innovation and engineer even more powerful next-generation 5G WiFi products that support today's content-hungry consumer," said Rahul Patel, Vice President, Marketing, Wireless Connectivity Combos. "Our new advanced solutions bring consumers an elevated video streaming experience across the wirelessly connected home and provide OEMs with the benefits of improved system cost and form factor."
"By the end of 2014, 802.11ac is expected to be included in more than 50 percent of total Wi-Fi ICs shipped," said Phil Solis, research director, ABI Research. "By maximizing the wireless connectivity performance in connected home devices, Broadcom continues to help drive the industry adoption of 802.11ac technology across all product segments."
Key Features and Benefits:
- The BCM43569 is a dual-band 2x2 MIMO combo chip (5G WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1) for media platforms such as digital televisions and over-the-top media boxes. Highlights include:
- Industry's first chip to include a common USB port for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and integrated Power Amplifiers (iPA) across both bands, significantly reducing system cost and enabling OEMs to offer connectivity on more platforms
- Delivers 3X bandwidth for seamless streaming or gaming
- Separate Bluetooth low-noise amplifier (LNA) coupled with customized Wi-Fi and Bluetooth coexistence algorithms allow Bluetooth gaming, audio and motion peripherals to perform in challenging environments
- Broadcom Media Stack (BMS) enables innovative connectivity software features like TVSelect, audio over Wi-Fi, seamless gaming and Miracast for a rich DTV experience
- Interface: USB 3.0 and USB 2.0
- The BCM43602 is a 3x3 MIMO 802.11ac chip designed for access/DSL/Cable/STB platforms. Highlights include:
- Ability to achieve full 802.11ac (900 Mbps TCP) throughput on CPU constrained systems
- Simplified WLAN software integration with host
- Entire WLAN driver runs inside of the BCM43602, freeing up host CPU for applications such as video streaming
- Pin-compatible, drop in and full feature replacement to Broadcom's industry leading BCM4360, in production across multiple retail and service provider customers
- Ability to enable low power standby modes.
- Interface: PCIe
The BCM43569 and BCM43602 are now sampling.
For more information on 5G WiFi, visit http://www.broadcom.com/products/features/5gwifi.php.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Susan Vander May
Senior Manager, Public Relations
Senior Director, Investor Relations
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless