|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 03:45 PM EST||
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has awarded 21 new grants representing a total investment of $12.6 million to tackle six areas of high unmet medical need in the blood cancers.
In response to requests for proposals (RFPs) from researchers in these six critical areas, LLS has awarded these grants under its Translational Research Program (TRP), an initiative designed to help accelerate the movement of promising discoveries from the lab to the clinic. Each grant is for a three-year duration with a total value of $600,000.
The RFPs mark LLS's proactive approach to addressing the challenge of improving outcomes for cancer patients with particularly urgent needs. The focus of the TRP grants, and the grant recipients are as follows:
- New immunotherapeutics for patients with acute myelogenous leukemia (AML):
- David Avigan, M.D., Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Clinical trial evaluating DC/AML fusion vaccine with PD1 blockade
- Stephen Forman, M.D., Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope. Adoptive therapy for AML using CAR123-transduced T cells
- Dean Lee, M.D., Ph.D., University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Targeting NK cell immunotherapy against AML stem cells.
- Ulrich Steidl, M.D., Ph.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University. Targeting IL-1 receptor accessory protein in malignant stem cells in AML
- Chengcheng Zhang, Ph.D., UT Southwestern Medical Center. Blocking immune inhibitory receptor LAIR1 for AML treatment
- Novel therapeutics for patients with non-cutaneous T-cell malignancies:
- Thomas Loughran, M.D., The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine. Targeting JAK/STAT and NF-kB pathways in large granular lymphocytic leukemia
- David Wiest, Ph.D., Fox Chase Cancer Center, Role of ER stress responses in pathogenesis and treatment of T-cell acute lymphocytic leukemia
- Javeed Iqbal, Ph.D., Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Somatic mutations and epimutations in peripheral T-cell lymphoma
- Introduction of novel agents in the treatment of patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphom(DLBCL) and mantle cell lymphoma(MCL):
- Robert Baiocchi, M.D., Ph.D., The Ohio State University Research Foundation. Targeting PRMT5 expression in DLBCL and MCL
- Leandro Cerchietti, M.D., Joan & Sanford I. Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. EIF4E targeted therapy in lymphomas
- Ari Melnick, M.D., Joan & Sanford I. Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University. Rational translational of EZH2 targeted therapy
- Alessandra Pernis, M.D., The Hospital for Special Surgery. Novel signaling pathways in DLBCL
- James Rubenstein, M.D., Ph.D., The Regents of the University of California, San Francisco. Molecular targets for high-risk primary CNS lymphoma
- John Timmerman, M.D., The Regents of the University of California, Los Angeles. PD-1/PD-L1 blockade plus kinase inhibitor therapies for B cell lymphomas
- Therapies for patients with myelodysplastic syndromes(MDS) who have failed hypomethylating agents:
- Maria Figueroa, M.D., University of Michigan Health System, Epigenetic markers of sensitivity and resistance to hypomethylating agents
- Maria Figueroa, M.D., University of Michigan Health System, Epigenetic markers of sensitivity and resistance to hypomethylating agents
- Therapies for new targets such as bromodomains, methylation and other epigenetic approaches for patients with high-risk myeloma:
- Xiu-Bao Chang, Ph.D., Mayo Clinic Arizona. Immunomodulatory drugs target cereblon and its downstream substrates
- Constantine Mitsiades, M.D., Ph.D., Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Individualizing myeloma treatment with BET bromodomain inhibitors
- Research that addresses long-term and late effects of blood cancer therapies:
- Mukta Arora, M.D., Regents of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Biomarkers of frailty and its impact on geriatric HSCT outcomes
- Seth Corey, M.D., Northwestern University – Chicago campus. Development of an oral anti-fibrotic drug for patients with myelofibrosis
- Patricia Gallagher, Ph.D., Wake Forest University Health Sciences. Prevention of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxic late effects by Ang-(1-7)
- Matthew Matasar, M.D., Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Tissue and functional assessment of myocardial injury in HL survivors
LLS also announced the awarding of an additional 20 TRP grants not related to the RFPs, totaling $11.4 million, to scientists working in other areas of blood cancer research.
"The translation of research discoveries in the laboratory to the patient's bedside for the treatment of blood cancer is a central part of the mission of LLS," said Lee Greenberger, Ph.D., LLS chief scientific officer. "By taking a strategic, proactive approach, LLS is directing grant funds with the intent to accelerate the advancement of breakthrough therapies and provide the best quality of life for our patients."
About The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society ® (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world, provides free information and support services, and is the voice for all blood cancer patients seeking access to quality, affordable, coordinated care.
Founded in 1949 and headquartered in White Plains, NY, LLS has chapters throughout the United States and Canada. To learn more, visit www.LLS.org. Patients should contact the Information Resource Center at (800) 955-4572, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
SOURCE The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Artifactory binary repository management system. As one of the most widely used binary repositories and the only repository that offers a high availability clustered solution, the integration with Artifactory helps customers easily adopt CA Release Automation to optimize their entire software development lifecycle. “Artifactory is a standard maker at the continuous-integration domain and provides the user a powerful repository experience with the freedom to choose his own tools set and ecosyste...
May. 5, 2015 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 435
This talk focuses on the application of DevOps fundamentals to include network infrastructure. It draws from real deployment case studies on the extension of today's paradigms to address the challenges of the network infrastructures' ability to seamlessly and cohesively integrate into agile workflows. In this session at DevOps Summit, Arista Networks will focus on configuration management using automation with a nod to future work necessary to include telemetry and ephemeral state information....
May. 5, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,122
Avnet, Inc. has announced that it ranked No. 4 on the InformationWeek Elite 100 – a list of the top business technology innovators in the U.S. Avnet was recognized for the development of an innovative cloud-based training system that serves as the foundation for Avnet Academy – the company’s education and training organization focused on technical training around top IT vendor technologies. The development of this system allowed Avnet to quickly expand its IT-related training capabilities around...
May. 5, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 926
SYS-CON Events announced today that dcVAST, a leader in IT infrastructure management, support service and cloud service, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. dcVAST provides cutting-edge IT services and IT infrastructure management services. dcVAST builds robust systems that are simple, secure and serviceable. dcVAST’s IT infrastructure support and IT services expertise can help companies r...
May. 5, 2015 04:02 PM EDT Reads: 594
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developmen...
May. 5, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 886
While Docker continues to be the darling of startups, enterprises and IT innovators around the world, networking continues to be a real mess. Indeed, managing the interaction between Docker containers and networks has always been fraught with complications. Without automation in networking, the vision of running Docker at scale and letting IT run the same apps unchanged on the laptop and in the data center or for any cloud cannot be realized.
May. 5, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 922
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
May. 5, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 835
The OnPage SOAP API provides programmatic access to OnPage messaging services. Typical applications include sending messages to individual OnPage users or groups and receiving tracking information for messages such as delivery and read timestamps or reply information. The API is based on open standards known collectively as "Web Services," which includes the Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP), Web Services Definition Language (WSDL), and the XML Schema Definition language (XSD).
May. 5, 2015 02:37 PM EDT Reads: 341
SYS-CON Events announced today the DevOps Foundation Certification Course, being held June ?, 2015, in conjunction with DevOps Summit and 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. This sixteen (16) hour course provides an introduction to DevOps – the cultural and professional movement that stresses communication, collaboration, integration and automation in order to improve the flow of work between software developers and IT operations professionals. Improved workflows will res...
May. 5, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,389
Docker is becoming very popular--we are seeing every major private and public cloud vendor racing to adopt it. It promises portability and interoperability, and is quickly becoming the currency of the Cloud. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bart Copeland, CEO of ActiveState, discussed why Docker is so important to the future of the cloud, but will also take a step back and show that Docker is actually only one piece of the puzzle. Copeland will outline the bigger picture of where Docker fits a...
May. 5, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 5,321
A new definition of Big Data & the practical applications of the defined components & associated technical architecture models This presentation introduces a new definition of Big Data, along with the practical applications of the defined components and associated technical architecture models. In his session at Big Data Expo, Tony Shan will start with looking into the concept of Big Data and tracing back the first definition by Doug Laney, and then he will dive deep into the description of 3V...
May. 5, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,134
Ayla Networks, whose agile Internet of Things (IoT) platform makes it easy for manufacturers to deliver secure, connected products, today announced it has been included in the list of "Cool Vendors" in the Internet of Things report by Gartner, Inc. “Gartner knows how important it is that manufacturers of all kinds of products have the right IoT solution to help turn their products into connected ‘things,’” said David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks. “The market for Ayla’s IoT pla...
May. 5, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 485
SYS-CON Events announced today that CenturyLink, Inc., a leader in the network services market, has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services market by technology industry analyst firms. The company is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and ...
May. 5, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,274
ScriptRock has been included in the list of "Cool Vendors" in the "Cool Vendors in DevOps 2015" report by Gartner, Inc.* ScriptRock provides visibility into the configuration state of an organization's IT environments, enabling the continuous delivery of mission critical services. For enterprises where downtime is not an option, ScriptRock's system-wide overwatch offers the assurance that misconfigurations and anomalies are caught before they affect the business. By satisfying this fundamental ...
May. 5, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 754
As cloud gives an opportunity to businesses to buy services externally – how is cloud impacting your customers? In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Fabio Gori, Director of Worldwide Cloud Marketing at Cisco, provided answers to big questions: Do you see hybrid cloud as where the world is going? What benefits does it bring? And how does Cisco connect all of these clouds? He also discussed Intercloud and Cisco’s investment on it.
May. 5, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,148