|By PR Newswire||
|January 6, 2014 06:09 PM EST||
DETROIT, Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- On the heels of the latest winter storm that brought several inches of snow, DTE Energy (NYSE: DTE) has some important reminders for natural gas customers. These tips will minimize the risk of customers being exposed to carbon monoxide and help customers continue receiving top quality service.
Carbon monoxide buildup in a home could result in serious injury or even death. To avoid exposure, customers should:
- Keep intake and exhaust vents for heating equipment free from snow, ice and debris for safe and efficient operation.
- Have a professional maintenance check of the furnace and other fuel-burning appliances annually.
- Keep all furnace compartment doors in place and secure.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on a wall or ceiling near all sleeping areas.
- If detectors are already installed, make sure they are functioning properly.
If customers suspect a carbon monoxide problem, immediately open doors and windows and leave the house or building. Call DTE Energy at 1-800-947-5000 to have an emergency inspection performed.
DTE technicians need to have access to meters in the event of an emergency and to safely read meters for customers. To ensure continued efficient and reliable service, customers should:
- Keep an access path to meters open and clear of snow.
- Prevent ice and snow from accumulating on gas meters.
- Remove ice hazards from the area above gas meters to prevent falling ice.
By following these tips, DTE's natural gas customers can have a safe and stress-free winter.
SOURCE DTE Energy