|By JCN Newswire||
|January 7, 2014 01:33 AM EST||
Sony is showcasing the latest developments in these 4K growth initiatives, outlined below, at the 2014 International CES, running from January 7-10 in Las Vegas.
Consumer 4K Products
New televisions, home theater projector and camcorder models have been added to Sony's growing 4K product lineup in order to enrich the world of 4K in the home. Sony is also increasing the ways in which users can enjoy 4K content, through measures such as increasing compatibility with new codecs as well as allowing users to easily output 4K images from their digital cameras.
Expansion of 4K BRAVIA TV lineup
- Introduction of three series comprising nine models ranging from 85 to 49 inches (2013 lineup: three series made up of five models, ranging from 84 to 55 inches). The latest models incorporate technologies such as Sony's 4K X-Reality PRO picture engine, which can upscale various content to beautiful 4K, wide color gamut TRILUMINOS Display, as well as Sony's new X-tended Dynamic Range PRO technology which provides deeper blacks, more detailed gradation and higher peaks. The combination of these technologies provides an overall image quality that goes beyond standard 4K resolution.
- 2014 4K BRAVIA TVs incorporate a decoder compatible with the latest H.265/HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) video compression format, enabling them to display 4K/60p content from internet streams and other sources, without the need for additional devices.
- 2014 4K BRAVIA TVs are also able to receive 4K/60p signals via HDMI 2.0, enabling them to easily display fast moving 4K/60p content such as sports. These TVs are also compatible with MHL 3.0 which supports 4K output from mobile devices.
Next generation 4K media player prototype
- New media player compatible with Sony's premium 4K distribution service "Video Unlimited 4K." Capable of playing back content at a maximum bit rate of 100 Mbps, it allows customers to enjoy high picture and sound with the stability that content downloads offer.
- In addition to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Coding), this new 4K media player incorporates a decoder compatible with the advanced HEVC compression format. This decoder is designed to provide customers with the ability to enjoy 4K/60p content and anticipated new 4K streaming services.
- Also includes a XAVC S decoder. This decoder will allow customers to save 4K video taken using "FDR-AX100" and "FDR-AX1" 4K Handycams on the 4K media player's internal HDD and replay these videos on a 4K TV.
Expansion of consumer 4K home theater projector lineup (previously announced)
- Two new models "VPL-VW500ES" and "VPL-VW1100ES" were added to Sony's 4K home theater projector lineup in fall 2013. Both of these models are able to receive 4K/60p input via HDMI 2.0.
- "VPL-VW500ES" delivers a significant size reduction (33% decrease in volume and a 30% decrease in weight compared to "VPL-VW1000ES") due to the reduced size and weight of the lens, redesigned optical component layout, and other measures. By making 4K projectors easier to place in the home, Sony aims to make them accessible to an even wider range of customers.
Addition of a compact "FDR-AX100" model to Sony's consumer 4K Handycam lineup
- Approximately one quarter the size of the current "FDR-AX1" model, the "FDR-AX100" features a 14.2 effective megapixel back-illuminated 1.0-type Exmor R CMOS sensor, and captures images with the realism, detail and depth that only 4K can deliver, all in a compact, handheld body.
- Records in the XAVC S format, enabling approximately 130 minutes of 4K video recording (when using a 64GB SDXC memory card Class 10)
- In addition to recording 4K footage, the FDR-AX100 is capable of down-converting 4K images to very high quality 2K (Full HD), using the enormous amounts of data in every 4K frame for spectacular results. It also allows the user to freely select and cut out part of a 4K image to be "trimmed" and then enjoyed on a Full HD 2K TV.
Displaying photos from digital still cameras (HDMI Cable/Wi-Fi)
- Sony cameras including the "alpha5000" announced at CES 2014 and the "RX10," "alpha7," and "alpha7R" launched in the fall of 2013 will be able to convert high resolution photo data into 4K (3840x2160) on the camera and display it on a 4K TV via HDMI cable.
- The photo data can also be transferred wirelessly to Wi-Fi compatible TV models.
The World of 4K Content
In order to truly enhance the 4K viewing experience in the home, expanding the variety of available 4K content, and the ways in which this content can be enjoyed, is also vital. As part of efforts to achieve this aim, Sony is engaged in various initiatives, some together with partners, such as the introduction of 4K video and photo image services, and also the support and adoption of new codecs. Furthermore, Sony will be providing technical support to enable FIFA to produce the 2014 FIFA World Cup final in 4K.
Expansion of Sony's 4K distribution service "Video Unlimited 4K"
- Since its launch in September 2013, Sony has continued to add new and library titles to its 4K content distribution service "Video Unlimited 4K", and as of January 1st 2014, users can now purchase more than 140 titles. Sony plans to continue increasing the number of titles available.
- The service plays back content at a maximum bit rate of 100 Mbps and allows customers to enjoy premium 4K content such as Hollywood movies in high picture and sound quality with the stability that content downloads offer.
Collaboration with "Netflix"
- During Sony's press conference at CES 2014, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Netflix (HQ: U.S., California), Reed Hastings, described Netflix collaboration with Sony and expressed the company's intention to be among the first to deliver 4K UltraHD entertainment to consumers.
- Netflix plans to start providing 4K UltraHD content in the first half of 2014 in all territories where Netflix is available.
- 2014 4K BRAVIA TVs incorporate a decoder compatible with the latest "HEVC" video compression format, enabling them to display 4K/60p content from internet streams and other sources, without the need for additional devices. Additionally, Sony has optimized its BRAVIA TVs to provide a great Netflix experience with faster playback.
Collaboration with "YouTube"
- Sony is working with YouTube on future delivery of YouTube content in 4K resolution via VP9 format.
Expansion of "Blu-ray Disc Mastered in 4K" titles
- Sony has been providing content filmed or remastered in 4K resolution and stored on Full HD Blu-ray discs since 2013. Sony has continued to grow the number of titles and as of January 1, 2014, there are a total of 20 titles available. Sony intends to continue to enrich its catalog of movies remastered in 4K going forward.
Development and growth of Sony's "Playmemories Online" service
- Sony's "PlayMemories Online" cloud-based service for photos and videos which can be used to display 4K photo images on 4K BRAVIA TVs, continues to evolve. It allows users to view photo collections built up over the years and albums that have been shared by friends and family in a 4K slideshow format with background music right from the home screen, just like watching a TV program.
- The availability of the service, which started from 6 countries at launch in April 2012, will be expanded to 27 countries and regions starting in January, 2014.
Collaboration with the online photo community "500px"
- 2014 4K BRAVIA models will have access to the premier photo community "500px," enabling BRAVIA customers to access and enjoy high-quality 4K photos from around the world easily, through their TV.
Supporting 4K content production at the 2014 FIFA World Cup
- For industry and broadcast professionals, Sony also provides key products, systems and workflows from shooting to viewing with its comprehensive 4K live production solutions.
- Sony will be providing technical support to enable FIFA to produce the 2014 FIFA World Cup final in 4K.
Sony will continue its Group-wide collaboration and initiatives together with partners to expand the growing 4K ecosystem, and continue to advance and enrich the 4K viewing experience.
*All trade names are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective holders.
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $79 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/
Sony Corporation Corporate Communications T: +81-3-6748-2200 E: [email protected]
Copyright 2014 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. www.japancorp.net
SYS-CON Events announced today the DevOps Foundation Certification Course, being held June ?, 2015, in conjunction with DevOps Summit and 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. This sixteen (16) hour course provides an introduction to DevOps – the cultural and professional movement that stresses communication, collaboration, integration and automation in order to improve the flow of work between software developers and IT operations professionals. Improved workflows will res...
May. 3, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,177
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch ...
May. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,618
A new definition of Big Data & the practical applications of the defined components & associated technical architecture models This presentation introduces a new definition of Big Data, along with the practical applications of the defined components and associated technical architecture models. In his session at Big Data Expo, Tony Shan will start with looking into the concept of Big Data and tracing back the first definition by Doug Laney, and then he will dive deep into the description of 3V...
May. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 889
As cloud gives an opportunity to businesses to buy services externally – how is cloud impacting your customers? In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Fabio Gori, Director of Worldwide Cloud Marketing at Cisco, provided answers to big questions: Do you see hybrid cloud as where the world is going? What benefits does it bring? And how does Cisco connect all of these clouds? He also discussed Intercloud and Cisco’s investment on it.
May. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,952
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
May. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,322
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and eas...
May. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,255
There is no doubt that Big Data is here and getting bigger every day. Building a Big Data infrastructure today is no easy task. There are an enormous number of choices for database engines and technologies. To make things even more challenging, requirements are getting more sophisticated, and the standard paradigm of supporting historical analytics queries is often just one facet of what is needed. As Big Data growth continues, organizations are demanding real-time access to data, allowing immed...
May. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,486
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on T...
May. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,755
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
May. 3, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,159
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, a...
May. 3, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,168
There are 182 billion emails sent every day, generating a lot of data about how recipients and ISPs respond. Many marketers take a more-is-better approach to stats, preferring to have the ability to slice and dice their email lists based numerous arbitrary stats. However, fundamentally what really matters is whether or not sending an email to a particular recipient will generate value. Data Scientists can design high-level insights such as engagement prediction models and content clusters that a...
May. 3, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,240
Database apps on mobile devices shouldn't stop working when there's limited or no network connectivity. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, a Developer Advocate for IBM Cloudant, will discuss how to bring data stored in a cloud database to the edge of the network (and back again), whenever an Internet connection is available. He will demonstrate techniques for replicating cloud databases with mobile devices in order to build offline-enabled mobile apps that can provide a better,...
May. 3, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 890
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
May. 3, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,346
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Ras...
May. 3, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,785
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
May. 3, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,201