|By PR Newswire||
|January 7, 2014 09:26 AM EST|
CHARLOTTE, N.C., Jan. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- As temperatures across the nation continue to plummet to historic lows, Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK) officials are asking the company's customers to conserve power during the next 24 hours, as extreme temperatures continue.
Below are some steps customers can take:
- The thermostat is a real culprit of higher winter bills. To help save energy and money, select the lowest comfortable setting when home, and bump the thermostat down a degree or two when leaving home.
- The ceiling fan in the home is a great way to stay cool in the summer – and warm in the winter. Simply set the fans to operate in a clockwise direction, which pushes warm air back down into the room.
- Leave your drapes or blinds open to allow the sun's rays to warm the house.
- Inefficient heating can also add to monthly power bills during colder temperatures. One of the easiest things customers can do to support heating efficiency is to change air filters regularly. A dirty air filter makes a heating system work harder, which uses more energy.
- Find these and other tips at www.duke-energy.com. Just click on the "save energy and money" link.
Customers who experience an outage should call Duke Energy's automated outage-reporting systems for their respective utility:
- Duke Energy Carolinas: 1-800-POWERON (1-800-769-3766)
- Duke Energy Progress: 1-800-419-6356
Customers may also report an outage or view current outages online at www.duke-energy.com/storms.
If you lose power, please turn off as many appliances and electronics as possible. This will help with restoration efforts as it will reduce the immediate demand on the power lines when power is restored.
Once your power is restored, wait a few minutes before turning your equipment back on.
Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Duke Energy is a Fortune 250 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DUK. More information about the company is available at: www.duke-energy.com.
24-hour media line: 800.559.3853
SOURCE Duke Energy