|By PR Newswire||
|January 7, 2014 01:30 PM EST||
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- Simpler in-vehicle menus and voice controls provide a quicker and more intuitive way to launch apps
- Notifications, vehicle data access and enhanced voice control mark new features available to developers using next-generation Ford SYNC® AppLink™
- New features of SYNC AppLink to first launch on all-new 2015 Ford Mustang in North America
When the all-new Ford Mustang goes on sale later this year, the next-generation SYNC® AppLink™ system will give drivers easier access to new features from many of their favorite mobile apps while on the go. The new Mustang will be the first model in North America to feature the simpler menus, enhanced voice control and other new capabilities of Ford SYNC AppLink.
"Ford led the industry in giving drivers the ability to control their smartphone apps on the go with the introduction of SYNC AppLink in 2010," said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, global product development. "We are now making the in-vehicle app experience simpler and more intuitive to further help drivers keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road."
Mustang drivers will soon have access to powerful new capabilities thanks to a host of new functions developers can integrate as they modify their apps to communicate with enhanced SYNC AppLink.
These new functions include:
- Simpler in-vehicle menus and controls so drivers can launch apps on their mobile device more quickly by pressing the SYNC voice button on the steering wheel and just saying the name of the app without having to say the command "Mobile applications" first
- Apps can get access to a variety of real-time vehicle data such as speed, acceleration, odometer and location that can be used by the connected app to further customize and personalize the user experience. For example, access to the in-vehicle GPS signal can enable more precise and accurate location-based services than phone sensors
- A more consistent user experience due to voice pass-through capability, which enables developers to use the on-device or cloud-based voice recognition systems to evaluate commands given by the driver. This means drivers can use the same set of voice commands to control the app when connected to the vehicle as they would when not connected to the vehicle
- Notifications that can be read aloud to drivers as they come in without ever touching the phone. Best of all, alerts are available anytime a mobile device is connected to SYNC AppLink, even if the app is not currently active or the driver is listening to the radio
"Our goal with AppLink has always been to let drivers take advantage of the information, news and entertainment apps they value most," said Doug VanDagens, Ford global director of connected services. "The new version of AppLink gives developers even more tools to help deliver a seamless app experience."
2015 Ford Mustang
The all-new Mustang is the most technologically advanced version yet of the iconic pony car. The sleek new design of Mustang fastback and convertible is backed up by world-class performance from a range of available engines including a new turbocharged EcoBoost® 2.3-liter and an upgraded 5.0-liter V8 with more than 420 horsepower.
In addition to state-of-the-art connectivity systems, Mustang features available advanced driver-assist systems, track apps, launch control and more.
The enhanced version of SYNC AppLink comes standard on the all-new Ford Mustang. It will then be rolled out to the rest of the Ford product lineup.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, (NYSE: F) a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 180,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE Ford Motor Company